Free Member
Aug 14, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
15 years
Can anyone help. ? I have purchased a C-Tek charger but do not quite know how to use it on my campervan to keep batteries tickedy boo. Would really welcome any helpful comments to the best way of using this bit of kit as I am going away for 6 weeks and obviously don't want to come back to any flat batteries. Thanks

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Plug it in, connect it to the battery, and forget about it. That charger has 5 different settings though ( from memory,) you don't say if you are talking about starter battery or leisure batteries.

Upvote 0

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Plug it in and forget about it for 6 weeks, it will be fine. I wouldn't recommend them for continuous use over long periods though, despite the manufacturers claims relating to the charging algorithm. I have had experience of classic cars and motorcycles being left plugged in to these and similar Accumate chargers for long periods and found that despite the claims, they still boil off water from the batteries in maintenance or pulse modes. I switched to using them for monthly top-up charges and had no further problems.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You don't say if there is any arrangement for charging the leisure battery and starter battery together. There may be a proper arrangement like a B2B or setting on your control panel. If not, while in storage you can connect the starter battery to the leisure battery with a temporary wire link. This should have a single fuse if very short, or a fuse at each end if long (over half a metre). 10 or 20 amp should be OK.

This only works if both are nearly fully charged, otherwise you will blow the fuse. Charge both separately first.

Make sure it's in 'Car' mode, not 'Bike' mode.
Then as @adonisito says
Plug it in, connect it to the battery, and forget about it.
Whatever the battery technology, the CTEK will achieve your aim of making sure the batteries stay fully or mostly charged, and won't cause any damage or over-charge.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bertyboy

Free Member
Aug 14, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
15 years
Thanks for all the advice. Can I connect to starter battery and leave the van charger plugged in to take care of the leisure battery or will one cancel out the other?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back