Charging vehicle battery (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I have a Chausson Best of 10 based on a Transit Mk7. Obviously I can charge the leisure battery by plugging in the 240v hook up. But doing that does not seem to give any charge to the vehicle battery.

In the engine bay there is a stud which is used to connect to if you want to jump start the vehicle as you can't get at the vehicle battery which is under one of the seats.

So, the question I have is;

Can I connect an ordinary car battery charger to this stud to charge the vehicle battery, with all electrics still connected, but nothing turned on ?

I remember being told years ago that you should disconnect the battery from the vehicle before charging it in case of damaging the electronic circuits, which is obviously impractical in this case.

Thanks for any help. Martin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To answer your question....yes, no problem.

The stud is connected directly to the battery or via the starter soleniods permanantly live contact so ignition is not required.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
my set up may be slightly different as mine is a panel van conversion, and possibly like yours my vehicle start battery is isolated by a relay when the ignition is switched off... I just ran a separate line to the start battery from my inbuilt sterling battery charger which had 3 outputs.
ta andy

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Are you sure the engine battery is not being charged? I thought most newer motorhomes use chargers that do both. Does your panel have the ability to able to check the voltage of the engine battery?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Pappajohn has answered your question (y)
You can take a look at your control panel etc, and learn a little more about your van later (y)
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
how easy is it to fit the battery master my leisure ois in the rear and the engine in the front i also have a solar but not sure of the way to wire this device any help please ladies and gents

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Dead easy Bill. Three cables, one to each battery positive and the third to the common earth. It's just a matter of finding convenient places to tap into.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back