Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Battery Master has no effect on the charging regime of any battery whatsoever
Cheers Eddie.. had a senior moment.. the idea of the device is to keep the start battery charged which is likely to be lead acid anyway. and i was thinking about the effect of keeping lithium batteries at a state of full charge.. i didnt think they liked that....

Andy.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think your missing the gist of this thread in that this is not concerning the starter battery running down on a day to day basis while you are on tour or on site for a few days but more for the long periods of non use when the starter battery naturally looses charge plus the modern electricery that runs in the background when the vehicle is to all intense and purposes switched off.
Good point!

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
After all the helpful advice provided by CCC, andy63 (and others) I reluctantly have to admit defeat and wait until an autoelectrician can fit us into their schedule.
I wasn't able to follow the hab leads very far. From the battery, both black and red wires disappeared into a not very thick black cable and then disappear into the body and under the floor. So not at all clear where they come out. Also, got a total thumbs down from SWMBO to opening the fuse and relay box cover (held in place by three bolts) to see if the split relay was there as an alternative point to connect the battery master.
So lacking in confidence is SWMBO in my ability to do anything on the van (apart from driving, emptying the toilet, filling and emptying water etc etc) that I'm now giving up and getting the work paid for and shutting my gob.
So thanks for all the help. Really appreciate it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Following my last post, purely for my better understanding and not in anyway to actually fit the Battery Master, I've attached a couple of photos of the cab battery. Wondered what that the 'grid' thing fixed to the positive terminal of the battery is and what the two red and one brown plastic clips are for.
Also attached a picture of the whole battery, so you can see it all.

Attachments

• IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1771.JPG
    IMG_1771.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 80

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Following my last post, purely for my better understanding and not in anyway to actually fit the Battery Master, I've attached a couple of photos of the cab battery. Wondered what that the 'grid' thing fixed to the positive terminal of the battery is and what the two red and one brown plastic clips are for.

They are fuses.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
You shouldn't need to go near your engine battery to charge it. I have cbe electrics and fitted a csb2 only 3 wires. And as @andy63 linked to 1/ to hab+ 1 to eng+ and one to earth terminal. They are all clearly marked. In the distribution unit. This sends upto 4amps to the engine battery when your hab is full. The more expensive Battery Master will keep your eng battery topped up to at least what is in the hab batteries. Both work well with solar.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@Bobby22-thanks for this but what is the distribution unit and where is it?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
As I understand this thread, you need the Battery Master (or similar) only if your worried that your cab battery will flatten and at some point will not start your MH ? As I see it, this will NOT occur (assuming a battery in good condition) if you have been touring around in the MH, or had it on hook-up in a static location, or you have a solar panel which feeds into the cab battery.

Over winter I like to put the MH on hook up once a week for a day and take it for a shortish run every other week, either of those jobs will keep the cab (and hab) batteries in a good charge. In summer the MH is used a fair bit.

Am I missing something as I can't see the value of a battery master given the above conditions.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@Geordies- as has been said earlier, there are circumstances where your assumptions don't hold. If like me your van's vehicle battery isn't charged on hook up, then having the leisure battery charged on hook up, will do nothing about charging the vehicle battery. The Battery Master will in this case, allow for the vehicle battery to be charged.
Even though I have a solar panel, as the van is stored indoors (and hence doesn't receive much light) the panels charge neither the leisure nor vehicle battery.
All's well if out and about or if there is enough light. But otherwise, if all I can do is hook up the leisure battery, then I need something to keep the vehicle battery charged. The BM (when I can get it connected, see saga) will be just the job.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
@Geordies If like me your van's vehicle battery isn't charged on hook up.

When we first got our MH, Chausson Flash 10, we plugged it in on hook up at home, assuming the hook up charged both the hab and cab batteries. Never had any problems with either battery, but found out by chance a year later that unless the main power switch was on then the hook up only charged the hab battery. Wonder if you have a similar situation ?

Anyway, I have now wired an lcd voltage display directly onto each battery and can instantly see what voltage each is sitting at or receiving, very useful. As the voltmeters are lcd there is no need to put them on a switch as they only take micro-amps out of the batteries.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We have checked the power switch as you helpfully suggested. But, whereas we can opt to charge either the leisure or vehicle battery on hookup, you can't have both.

The Bailey manual states as follows:
"Your motorhome is fitted with a 12 volt charger as standard. This converts the 230 volt AC supply to 12 volt DC. This enables the 12 volt equipment in the motorhome to function and charges the motorhome leisure battery. The charger is capable of charging leisure batteries and will not overcharge."

I know this doesn't apply to some other makes but it does to ours unfortunately.

Edit: the power switch does not allow for a choice as to what battery is charged. What it allows is for choice as to which primary source of power you use to run equipment in the motorhome. Either the leisure battery or the vehicle battery. Clearly if you choose the latter, you will be at risk in not being able to start your vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Rolling Stones
Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Am I missing something as I can't see the value of a battery master given the above conditions.

I can’t use the van for months at a time due to work, hence the need for power to the Hab and Cab battery. Using the van regularly would be fantastic but I’ve really screwed up being retired!!! I’ll get there one day......
In the meantime I just want to know that the batteries are being looked after.

As an aside...... I now tax my MoHo by monthly Direct Debit, cancelling it while it’s off the road - saves £25 a month, so my BM is already paid for

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I've recently upgraded my solar regulator to a Votronic although it has a dual output it's only 1amp to the starter battery so decided to keep my CBE2 in circuit as it have a much better charge rate and all the time the leisure batteries are in a good state of charge it will keep the starter battery topped up.

I know its an old post but ....

I have one of these CBE2 which i took of our rapido fitted with a cbe distribution box it was easy to install as they have a B1 & B2 connection inside them, now we have a hymer with a electrobloc EBL29, where on the electrobok do i connect the cbe2 for the hab & starter batteries. I noticed you have a hymer so have a electroblock?

Karl

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990

I have one of these CBE2 which i took of our rapido fitted with a cbe distribution box it was easy to install as they have a B1 & B2 connection inside them, now we have a hymer with a electrobloc EBL29, where on the electrobok do i connect the cbe2 for the hab & starter batteries. I noticed you have a hymer so have a electroblock?

Karl
You would have to connect directly to the batteries..
If you have an ebl it already has a function to keep the start battery topped up and some would suggest you don't fit a cbe2 battery charger with an ebl..
There's a bit of info on A&N caravan website ..and while they say don't fit such a device I personally don't think it would damage anything..but apparently not necessary
Andy

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I realise while on hookup the EBL charges both hab & starter batteries, but i want to keep starter battery topped up, via the solar as with the rapido we had.

We have to keep this van in storage so need to keep starter battery topped up, I don't want to be going to storage to find the starter battery flat, because he alarm flattened it.

Karl

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I fitted a battery master thingy to the leisure battery which when being charged up by the solar panel then sends a bit of power to the vehicle battery.
Unfortunately by sending power to the vehicle battery this then kicks in the 12v supply to the fridge, not a problem as I can turn that off, but it also kicks in the relay that sends the step back in as it thinks that the engine has started. Taken the fuse out of the battery master at the moment while I think about it .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Karl
Just connect to Block 6, Output from the regulator connects to Pin 3 and to the input of the CBE relay, output of the CBE relay to pin 2.

1571176326987.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I fitted a battery master thingy to the leisure battery which when being charged up by the solar panel then sends a bit of power to the vehicle battery.
Unfortunately by sending power to the vehicle battery this then kicks in the 12v supply to the fridge, not a problem as I can turn that off, but it also kicks in the relay that sends the step back in as it thinks that the engine has started. Taken the fuse out of the battery master at the moment while I think about it .
I would think your van is using voltage sensing relays instead of relays switched by the D+ on the alternator, which would explain the problem.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I would think your van is using voltage sensing relays instead of relays switched by the D+ on the alternator, which would explain the problem.
That’s true, I attached the fridge relay to the vehicle battery and used it for the step as well.
So I need to find the D+ wire from the alternator for the step.:)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
How well does a Battery Master behave between a LiFePO4 leisure battery and a Lead Acid engine battery? My concern is about the Li having a higher resting voltage and discharging itself into the Lead one when laid up for the winter.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That’s true, I attached the fridge relay to the vehicle battery and used it for the step as well.
If switching more than one relay you need to fit a relay in line with the D+ so as you don't damage the alternator.
Schaudt make a range of adaptors for this depending on what function you want, AD 01, AD 02 & AD03.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
How well does a Battery Master behave between a LiFePO4 leisure battery and a Lead Acid engine battery? My concern is about the Li having a higher resting voltage and discharging itself into the Lead one when laid up for the winter.
If you used a CBE solar split charge relay they swtich on at at 13.6v and off at 12.6v so should stop charging the cab battery before the lesiure battery drops too low.
Personally I'm not keen on the Batterymaster as it works on voltage differential so it could take the leisure battery too low in certain conditions.

Also if not using the van for the winter you should be taking for a good drive every few weeks to keep everything in good working order.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Any chance of a link to such a product, I can only find switches when I look.
You can buy one from the Funster's shop. Or at least I did and got (from memory) a 15% discount.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back