Charging leisure battery's with solar still connected (1 Viewer)

gazpic

Free Member
May 21, 2018
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 675
Exp
This year
Hi all
New to this forum. I have a 270 watt solar panel fixed onto my motor home. It's connected to my leisure battery via a charge controller . And power is taken from the battery not the controller .
Question... Is it ok to leave the charge controller still attached to the battery when charging via mains electric ?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You can leave it connected but the question is with that much solar power and bearing in mind the time of year why do you need to, unless you keep it under cover.

OP
OP
G

gazpic

Free Member
May 21, 2018
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Zefiro 675
Exp
This year
Mikeco, you hit the nail on the head. It's in my barn.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
:rofl:
Far from the truth Mikeco !! Might have a barn and 10 acres, but no house

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 10 acres, excellent room for a huuuuuuuuge meet. Have you got electric hook up we can use, or shall we bring our generators. :rofl:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
When I plug in to the EHU for 240v, my leisure battery charger also turns on. But I've also got a solar charger. I'm reasonably sure that whatever charger produces the highest voltage will provide the current, effectively blocking the other device.

I think my 240v charger switches to trickle charging at quite a low (voltage) threshold, so my solar controller is normally able to switch to a higher voltage, so it takes over... even if there's not much power to be had.

The way I picture it is two rivers. My mains charger is a broad (massive current) river and my solar river is a mere trickle of a stream. However, my solar river is higher up (higher voltage), so the water (electricity) flows from the solar river.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
When I plug in to the EHU for 240v, my leisure battery charger also turns on. But I've also got a solar charger. I'm reasonably sure that whatever charger produces the highest voltage will provide the current, effectively blocking the other device.
Spot on. And it depends where on it's smart charge cycle each charging source is at the time. Non of it matters though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back