Charging leisure battery

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by LVK, Mar 19, 2009.

1. LVK

LVK Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    My leisure battery currently doesn't charge of the main one. I'd like to change this so that it charges as I drive around like my main battery. Is this a big job and where can I get it done (don't fancy DIY)?

2. Terry

Terry Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +7,186
    Hi it is only a case of running a wire from alternator live feed to a relay / fuse then battery.You may well already have a relay to your fridge ? if so it just needs changing to a dual / twin one and wiring as above :thumb:
    terry
    A twin relay is about £10 plus a fuse holder £2 and a length of wire ?--£15 in parts and however much to fit (under an hour depending on wire to leisure battery run)):ROFLMAO::thumb:
    edit if fitting a twin relay you will need 2 inline fuses ,one for fridge and one for L/Batt

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  3. LVK

LVK Deleted User

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Terry,
    The fridge does indeed run off battery as vehicle is going so sounds like a very simple job. My only problem is as soon as I read the word alternator my brain shuts down!! Serious girlie, girl!! Any ideas where I can get this done? I would ask my hubby but he is super busy just now so would rather take it in somewhere.

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +24,600
    what is the van?

unusual not to have leisure charge from alternator.
    maybe already has but the relay may be jammed/burnt out or fuse may have blown.

5. gregjacqui

gregjacqui

Ratings:
    +0
    is it a fuse

i had same problem was just a fuse.if you say what type of van im sure one of the tech heads will help you all d best