Charging Electric Car On Site ?? (1 Viewer)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I was asked a theoretical question earlier, which I didn't know the answer to.

My youngest son has an electric car and at home has a dedicated charging station.

When he visits me at my home, if he has a lot more running around to do, he sometimes tops up, by plugging in to my domestic supply, via a domestic 3 pin plug adaptor.

If on the rare occasion, he visited me while I had my van hooked up on site, would topping up his charge by plugging in to a 3 pin socket on my van, be too much output for my van electrics and could it cause damage, or just trip the RCD ?

Would it be a simple matter of checking what his car takes, compared to what the EHU delivers, or do the maths change by putting my van in between the two.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I was asked a theoretical question earlier, which I didn't know the answer to.

Would it be a simple matter of checking what his car takes, compared to what the EHU delivers, or do the maths change by putting my van in between the two.

Yes and No (unless the van has a lower current trip than the site EHU)
Obviously total the current taken by the car charger and anything you may be using in the van against the site hook-up limit.

Rod

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
If he plugs into your one of your 3 pin plugs in your van then you must take into account the amount of amps you van will be pulling from the bollard. As an approx guess your charger maybe pulling a couple of amps plus what your fridge will be pulling (140w element = approx 0.7amps) so normal UK site 16 amp bollard then there will be 13 amp surplus so should be fine. To make sure he does not blow the fuse he should be able to change the max charging current either on the charger or via the cars onboard display to say 8 or 10 amps. One other thing to bear in mind is your vans own internal fuse board and what fuse is in place for your sockets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Maybe better to use a dedicated charge point nearby or en route to you

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Or perhaps a splitter from the EHU like a lot of the French use so long as the amperage is not exceded.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:
Had a "conversation" with a Caravan and Motorhome Club Warden a few months ago about using splitters. A couple across from us had a splitter connected so they could have power in their awning and power to the van. I observed the Warden pull the splitter out and plug the van back in. The people had gone out for the day. My initial concern was he did not know what was connected to the supply he had removed, may have been a chiller box, slow cooker etc. I felt he should not just remove the splitter without talking to the members. I tried to reason and could not grasp why he had an issue. He kept saying the members had only paid for one supply. I tried as hard as I could to reason explaining that the use of the splitter did not mean they would be able to get any more power than the 16amp breaker would provide. He was having non of it. When members returned I tried to explain that I had intervened but they were less than friendly. Other half said that's what I get for getting involved...sorry for going off topic

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Lengthy discussion on the C&MC site.. https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-...sel-petrol-alternatives-your-thoughts-please/

My view..
It is inevitable that as hybrids become more popular the club (and other sites) will have to look at cost of providing fuel for these types of cars..
price rises are inevitable .. most site have a 'fair usage ' policy .. ie you don't run a 3kw fan heater in an awning all day .. so long term the only fair way will be to have metered electric.. which has become more popular of late, a move I would fully support, we who need little, solar covers all our needs.. are paying for those who use a lot.

Sep 1, 2017
Funster No
The plug socket granny charger (as it's known) will pull Max 10amp. The vehicle will probably also have a configurable setting for a lower charge rate.

For my electric vehicles:
Leaf 10 amp
Ampera 6 or 10 amp
Prius 8 or 10 amp

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just fire up your generator and charge it up with that...

Indeed, if he kept a genny in his boot he could charge it up anywhere. (y)

JJ :cool:
How much petrol would an electric car use JJ?:rofl::rofl:

Reactions: JJ

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Had a "conversation" with a Caravan and Motorhome Club Warden a few months ago about using splitters. A couple across from us had a splitter connected so they could have power in their awning and power to the van. I observed the Warden pull the splitter out and plug the van back in. The people had gone out for the day. My initial concern was he did not know what was connected to the supply he had removed, may have been a chiller box, slow cooker etc. I felt he should not just remove the splitter without talking to the members. I tried to reason and could not grasp why he had an issue. He kept saying the members had only paid for one supply. I tried as hard as I could to reason explaining that the use of the splitter did not mean they would be able to get any more power than the 16amp breaker would provide. He was having non of it. When members returned I tried to explain that I had intervened but they were less than friendly. Other half said that's what I get for getting involved...sorry for going off topic
I’ve iccasionally plugged an extension lead into the socket in my MoHo garage to provide power in my gazebo on a site. I cannot remember what I had plugged in, might have been a mosquito zapper. That of course is no different interns of power usage than using a splitter. Do you think the warden would have pulled my plug out?

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I’ve iccasionally plugged an extension lead into the socket in my MoHo garage to provide power in my gazebo on a site. I cannot remember what I had plugged in, might have been a mosquito zapper. That of course is no different interns of power usage than using a splitter. Do you think the warden would have pulled my plug out?
I think he was concerned that the splitter was plugged directly into the hook up bollard. I think if the owner had split the supply nearer to his van the Warden would not have noticed. Cannot see anything wrong with either personally as you cannot pull more than the 16 amps

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I think he was concerned that the splitter was plugged directly into the hook up bollard. I think if the owner had split the supply nearer to his van the Warden would not have noticed. Cannot see anything wrong with either personally as you cannot pull more than the 16 amps

I however is amazing just how much some people understand about leccy. Clearly to this one 2 X 16 amp plugs means 32 amps. Now you and I know it really is still 16 amps because there is only one socket. I get round this using a continental inlet socket on the van end which allows me to plug in an extension lead there and that is hidden in my garage

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
This is of course why so many site are switching over to metered supply

We just use side cutters and lobb the plugs over the hedge and deny it ;)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Would it be a simple matter of checking what his car takes, compared to what the EHU delivers, or do the maths change by putting my van in between the two

I watched a young caravanner (is that the right term?) try to charge his super duper electric mountain bike on the last CC site I stayed at. The bike looked like it cost more than my van! Anyway, this young lad was getting seriously pissed off as every time he tried to charge his bike from the bollard (directly, no splitters!) it kept tripping. I can't imagine how much current it was trying to draw!

A couple across from us had a splitter connected so they could have power in their awning and power to the van. I observed the Warden pull the splitter out and plug the van back in

I have a splitter plugged in to my van (at the van-end, not the bollard-end) to charge my wife's mobility scooter via a purpose made vans-length cable, as the scooter 'parks' on a platform attached to the rear of the van. The charger draws 1.9A and as per above posts, the bollard would simply trip if we tried to draw more than our fair share of 16A.

Like you say, I'd probably be a bit miffed if a warden came tinkering with my gear without even asking what it was powering. What if it were medical equipment or something?! :eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back