Charging ebikes (1 Viewer)

Apr 24, 2014
spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi hope there is someone out there that can give me some advice,iam looking of a way to charge our ebikes the batteries areHL-10L 36v8aAh/288wh Li-ion The Battery charger is Entree Ac100v-240v-1.8A max 47-63Hz. Sortie42.0v. 2.0A on our MH we have 1x 100w solar panel(thinking of adding another 100w panel)2x100Ah leisure batts Q what would be the best size inverter to fit.I look forward to your replys

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We find that our two E bikes draw a lot of power when charging.
Would suggest charging them when moving if possible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have a 300w inverter and it only just manages to charge our 36v batteries so long as they arent flat.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have a 300w inverter and it only just manages to charge our 36v batteries so long as they arent flat.
A 300w inverter will draw the same amount of power as a 2kw one, the only difference is the peak output. The big question is, can the battery bank deal with that current draw long enough to recharge the batteries

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well I'm no expert on any of this but I do know that since we have been away the charger is charging the bike batteries so it works although Alan has connected the inverter straight to the battery as it was blowing a fuse through the system.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our two bikes pull 20 amps when charging
They take about 4 hours to charge, so we can only charge them when our leisure batteries are already full and the sun is out

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's only a startup surge. The inverter has to handle it but it's really no load on the battery.
Especially if you have enough solar panels as over half the demand would come straight from the panels.

Martin

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Especially if you have enough solar panels as over half the demand would come straight from the panels.

Martin

Apart from the unfortunate problem that usually we don't ride at night so you need two sets of e-bike batteries to be sure of pulling off daytime charging.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
A 300w inverter will draw the same amount of power as a 2kw one, the only difference is the peak output. The big question is, can the battery bank deal with that current draw long enough to recharge the batteries

I had thought that due to conversion losses, a big capacity inverter (say 2,000 watts) actually drew more per input power from the leisure batteries than a smaller (say 200 watts) one, for the same amount of output............ie if you happened to have both types on board it was more efficient to use the lower capacity inverter for low wattage/trickle charging mains operated items/operations.

Is that not the case?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I had thought that due to conversion losses, a big capacity inverter (say 2,000 watts) actually drew more per input power from the leisure batteries than a smaller (say 200 watts) one, for the same amount of output............ie if you happened to have both types on board it was more efficient to use the lower capacity inverter for low wattage/trickle charging mains operated items/operations.

Is that not the case?
I believe it is true, but the differences are fairly small. We have a 1800kw inverter, when we switch it on, it seems to draw about 1.8 amps, it is only powering the microwave in standby at that point. The things we use it for don't put it under huge load, well not until morning when we need coffee! :D

My brother in law has a small inverter in his work van, and he only uses it to recharge phones and stuff, it has already murdered the battery.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We find that our two E bikes draw a lot of power when charging.
Would suggest charging them when moving if possible.
I charged both ours from nearly flat one evening it took 3-4 days including a bit of driving to get the leisure batteries fully recharged with 200 watts of solar that was in France in June. Now tend to top them up rather than let them get too flat.

I would also get a pure sine wave inverter e-bike battery chargers are not cheap so not worth the risk with a modified sine wave one.

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Moved from caravan in 2017
You all presuppose upon my insignificant knowledge.
I would like to be able to charge the batteries for two electric bicycles while dry camping. What power of inverter would I require and how is it fitted?
Seakerr

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You all presuppose upon my insignificant knowledge.
I would like to be able to charge the batteries for two electric bicycles while dry camping. What power of inverter would I require and how is it fitted?
Seakerr
To answer we need to know what size batteries and the rating of the chargers.
What do you mean dry camping?

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thanks Lenny and Robert.
(An impressive number of posts you have!)
By dry camping I mean having no hook up as in some CLs and French Aires....or at the Peterborough Show.
We've to collect our bikes before the show - hopefully and I'll check the batteries and chargers and come back.
Seakerr.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We have a 800 watt invertor with 280 watt of panels
I normally on a reasonable sunny day charge both our e batterys in the morning for about 1 hour
Never had a problem yet

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Lenny and Robert.
(An impressive number of posts you have!)
By dry camping I mean having no hook up as in some CLs and French Aires....or at the
You confused us we (Funsters) tend refer to wild camping, Aires etc. without EHU as camping off grid.

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'll try to get my terminology right! We sailed for years and I still talk about things being "forward" or "aft" and the "heads" and "galley". No wonder I'm confused!
Great info about the inverters. We can look around at the show on Friday.
Seakerr.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'll try to get my terminology right! We sailed for years and I still talk about things being "forward" or "aft" and the "heads" and "galley". No wonder I'm confused!
Great info about the inverters. We can look around at the show on Friday.
Seakerr.
Do you shout "Starboard" every time someone gets in your way on the road?:D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back