Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi folks,
Is running the vehicle engine to keep the engine slack whilst connected to EHU bad for the batteries / charging system?
Advice appreciated
Cheers
John

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Thanks, Pappajohn.
I did it today for a short while, then switched off the engine thinking it may not be a good idea.
Seem to have got away without blowing anything, everything appears to be as it should, all working ok.
Pleased I asked for future reference.
The link explains a lot.
Cheers
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
I've done it quite a few times over the years especially if parked up for a week or so at a time including a couple of times in the last month. I'm not an expert but it does not appear to have had any effect on my present van or previous ones.

Mike

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Thanks Mike.
Its maybe a set up thing, or just down to luck?
I didn't blow anything either, but.....
It seems in principle not to be too good an idea?

John

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
It may depend on if you have the charger on or not and if you have a split charge system. So sooner than take a risk I always switch off or disconnect EHU before starting the engine.

Phil.

onion

Free Member
Nov 12, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
swift royale

It may depend on if you have the charger on or not and if you have a split charge system. So sooner than take a risk I always switch off or disconnect EHU before starting the engine.

Phil.
Hi phil was wondering if yr royale was same as mine, its a 1994 vw t4, was looking for a number of the 5pin charging rly thanks onion.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi folks,
Is running the vehicle engine to keep the engine slack whilst connected to EHU bad for the batteries / charging system?
Advice appreciated
Cheers
John

I'm not to sure what you mean by " to keep the engine slack" but I think there is a real chance of drawing currant from the domestic circuit when you start the engine. Probably best to disconnect the mains, start the engine and the reconnect the mains again.

But bear this in mind. It is not good practice to to run a diesel engine with no load for long periods of time, it tends to build up carbon in the head and pistons as the running temp is not high enough to complete the complete burning of the fuel. Its much better to take the van for a run if its the battery's you want to charge. or if its more heat you need that use the mains to run an electical heater.

Doug...

Last edited:

CamperJohn

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Horsham UK
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
Charging batteries

Running the engine whilst plugged in on mains is never a good idea. The on-board charger can charge either battery depending on selection; when the engine starts the split-charge relay picks up and you end up with two batteries being charged by a mains charger and the alternator simultaneously. Depending on the control systems there is the possibility of high currents circulating between the alternator and charger. Damage to the alternator could be expensive ! Don't do it. Trip the RCD or panel isolator before starting up. :Smile:

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I'm not to sure what you mean by " to keep the engine slack" but I think there is a real chance of drawing currant from the domestic circuit when you start the engine. Probably best to disconnect the mains, start the engine and the reconnect the mains again.

But bear this in mind. It is not good practice to to run a diesel engine with no load for long periods of time, it tends to build up carbon in the head and pistons as the running temp is not high enough to complete the complete burning of the fuel. Its much better to take the van for a run if its the battery's you want to charge. or if its more heat you need that use the mains to run an electical heater.

Doug...

Cheers Doug.
Just for charging, not for heat.
Going fore a run seems the best, obviuos option.
Your comment on running diesels without load taken on board.
John

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Charging battery and other things

I have had my EHU connected to our supply at home all day today. Is this ok and how long does it take to rully recharge the MH? Our last MH was a Hymer and the controls were much easier than on this panel. We have a commodore buccaneer which I think is similar to a compass drifter among others. Also, I believe we should be changing the water filter and that this is on top of, or close to, the water tank. Is this an easy job, are the filters easily available and how much is one likely to cost. I'm sure I'll get the hang of this in the end. We are off to the NEC in February so will be able to pick up some tips there. Thank you in advance.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have had my EHU connected to our supply at home all day today. Is this ok and how long does it take to rully recharge the MH? Our last MH was a Hymer and the controls were much easier than on this panel. We have a commodore buccaneer which I think is similar to a compass drifter among others. Also, I believe we should be changing the water filter and that this is on top of, or close to, the water tank. Is this an easy job, are the filters easily available and how much is one likely to cost. I'm sure I'll get the hang of this in the end. We are off to the NEC in February so will be able to pick up some tips there. Thank you in advance.

it depends on what type of onboard charger you have....

a standard charger will overcharge the battery....not dangerous in itself, unless the battery gets really hot, but the battery electrolyte will boil off leaving the plates exposed which will cause them to fail and if theres any source of ignition near the battery the resulting gas can explode.

if you have a multi-stage charger its usually ok to leave it on as it only float charges once full charge is reached.
a regular charger will keep charging at the same rate even when the battery is fully charged.

if the van MUST be on hookup then turn off the charger and turn it on every week or two for a few hours just to top up the battery.

sorry cant help with the water filter...

Ooops...just noticed you said only for today. no problem with that.

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
I hadn't really thought about this before so will ad a few questions for you.

If i start my engine it turns off all the 12v in the back of the motorhome so does this mean it switches off the 12v even if i just turn ignition on 12v goes off.

How do i find my charger i have a peugeot 2.2hdi on a 2006 elddis autoquest 130 i have never thought of it and just assumed it would switch on and off when needed.

Thanks
Gerry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
I hadn't really thought about this before so will ad a few questions for you.

If i start my engine it turns off all the 12v in the back of the motorhome so does this mean it switches off the 12v even if i just turn ignition on 12v goes off.

How do i find my charger i have a peugeot 2.2hdi on a 2006 elddis autoquest 130 i have never thought of it and just assumed it would switch on and off when needed.

Thanks
Gerry

it depends how the relay's been fitted...switched or alternator sensed.
some switch with the ignition, some switch when the engines started.

easy way to find out....turn on a hab light then turn on the ignition without starting.
if the light goes out then its ign switched.

cant help with the charger location.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Pappa
Yes it goes off as soon as you turn key and stays off when engine is running as for the charger while not looking for it i have had the van totally empty to clean it out and never noticed a charger unless its under the hood

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Pappa
Yes it goes off as soon as you turn key and stays off when engine is running as for the charger while not looking for it i have had the van totally empty to clean it out and never noticed a charger unless its under the hood

not 100% sure but look in the wardrobe....the floor may have some screws and a removable floor panel...it should be under there.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Cheers i'll have a look never thought of there as thats where my fire is but my mains switch is in wardrobe.

Gerry

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Crikey - this all sounds very technical but I won't be deterred. Have had a good look in MH today and feel as if I am moving towards our first trip in this one. Have looked everywhere but can't find the alarm but when I climbed out of the passenger door the damned thing went off. Husband pressed key and stopped racket but still can't find out where the key to the alarm goes. Very strange. Next step is to set aside an afternoon and switch the gas on so that we can test the heater and cooker. Husband says not to say this because you will think we are thickos. Do you? Oh well - worse things happen at sea. As a small extra, do the ovens in MHs work at the same temperature as home ovens?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Crikey - this all sounds very technical but I won't be deterred. Have had a good look in MH today and feel as if I am moving towards our first trip in this one. Have looked everywhere but can't find the alarm but when I climbed out of the passenger door the damned thing went off. Husband pressed key and stopped racket but still can't find out where the key to the alarm goes. Very strange. Next step is to set aside an afternoon and switch the gas on so that we can test the heater and cooker. Husband says not to say this because you will think we are thickos. Do you? Oh well - worse things happen at sea. As a small extra, do the ovens in MHs work at the same temperature as home ovens?

the alarm sounder may be in the engine compartment and the key may kit the sounder itself.....toad and viper alarms were made like this.
i believe the key is just to disable the sounder, not turn the system on/off.

the cooker may take a little longer to heat up but the oven temps are the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back