Charging an AGM leisure battery (1 Viewer)

Tomotto

Free Member
Dec 31, 2018
Funster No
MH
Wingamm Oasi 540
Exp
35 years
I may have blown it, but I hope not. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have an Italian made van - a Wingamm Oasi 540 - which came with a battery charger manufactured by CBE, an Italian firm. I attach the manual.

My leisure battery eventually bit the dust and I decided to replace it with an AGM battery, having read on line that these were very efficient, etc. I bought an NDS Greenpower 120ah battery from Roadpro. I enquired with the Roadpro technical team about charging / discharging the battery, as we don't use the van all that much and I wanted to keep the battery in good condition. I sent them details of the van's battery charger. They replied, pointing out that the specs for the charger show settings for lead/acid batteries and GEL batteries, but not AGM. Whoops! They suggested I replace the battery charger with one suited to an AGM battery, but the one they offered was more than the battery cost.

I have contacted the battery charger manufacturer, sending them details of the battery I bought, but they are on annual holiday till September.

I contacted NDS (the battery manufacturers) with details of the battery charger, and am waiting to hear from them.

So.....
Is there a Funster out there with sufficient technical knowledge to look at the two specs and advise me?
If necessary I might offer the brand new AGM on this website, cut my losses and buy a GEL battery, but I would rather not have the hassle.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tomotto

Attachments

• CB 516 Manual.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 52
  • NDS Greenpower GP120.pdf
    244.1 KB · Views: 22

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Gel batteries are well regarded by those who have used them, but they are not cheap.

But an AGM battery won't be ruined if you run it on a lead acid setting as I understand it. The ideal settings for AGM are only a fraction off lead acid acid. It is gel batteries which have significantly different requirements.

You could be run the AGM for a couple of years then think about replacing it. It may not last much longer even correctly charged from what I've read.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Have a look at A&N Caravan Services.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Return the AGM as not fit for purpose, they are totally useless as a leisure battery.
With your charger on either setting they will never get a full charge shortening the life of them considerably.
I would replace with a Gel reliable and will last many years.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Rather than buy a charger for a battery you just bought, doubling the cost, you could sell the AGM battery at a small loss and buy a superior Gel battery with the proceeds and use the charger you already have saving a fortune on a new charger.

There, logic and sense.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why do company's such as Roadpro continue to sell AGM batteries if they are so bad the return rate must be horrendous
Maybe contracted to their suppliers.
Returns will go back to their supplier so no skin off their nose.

The AGM on my car doesn't have the capacity to run the auto stop-start but starts the engine normally or if I stall it, it starts by pressing the clutch.
It's 4 years old and has been like this for two years..... The Hyundai warranty on the battery is one year. .. Everything else is five years.
That tells you something about AGM batteries I reckon.

Last edited:

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
One of the owners of this excellent company has recently sadly died. However, the link below provides some independent impartial and well researched advice that is well worth considering in my humble opinion:

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Everyone disses agm, but they are fab if charged properly.

We had agm batteries (hab x2) on our van when full timing for 5 years. Rarely used ehu but had solar with a Votronic solar regulator set to agm. This provided the correct charging regime, of 14.7/8 volts and they were great til we sold it.

I will be looking at agm (and gel) when we get our next van.

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
One of the owners of this excellent company has recently sadly died. However, the link below provides some independent impartial and well researched advice that is well worth considering in my humble opinion:

I have read that a few times now and feel inclined to trust its findings. I am about to buy two new batteries and the Yuasa L36-EFB seems to be what they author is recommending. Has anyone here got ant thoughts on this battery or actually have them?? From the article it seems a no brainer

OP
OP
T

Tomotto

Free Member
Dec 31, 2018
Funster No
MH
Wingamm Oasi 540
Exp
35 years
Many thanks to all of you who replied to my request. I have now heard from NDS (the battery manufacturer), having sent them the details of my battery charger. They say that, by switching my charger to GEL settings, my AGM battery will be fine. Time will telll.....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Many thanks to all of you who replied to my request. I have now heard from NDS (the battery manufacturer), having sent them the details of my battery charger. They say that, by switching my charger to GEL settings, my AGM battery will be fine. Time will telll.....
Don't believe them that's what both Banner and Schaudt told me, they lasted 18 months.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back