Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Strange. Been on loud all night. Turn the hot tap on this morning and it goes off. An hour later its still quiet.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Strange. Been on loud all night. Turn the hot tap on this morning and it goes off. An hour later its still quiet.
It’s this hum with ehu plugged in only?
when you brew a cuppa, is it with ehu or without?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I think there's a number of things going on here. I have a Victron Multiplus 2, and that hums more or less whatever I do. It's mounted on the garage front wall (thin board), and it just hooks onto the mounting plate, and is secured by two screws.

First, the hum is amplified by the thin board. The Multiplus can move slightly on the plate, when driving for example, so the contact between the board and multiplus can vary, and so can the hum. Maybe some rubber mounting points would improve it, like it does for water pumps etc.

The fixed bed is just above the garage, and the hum, although quiet, is loud enough to be disturbing. Plan A was to switch everything from inverter to pass-through at night, and switch off the inverter. That for some reason doesn't work, everything just goes off when I switch the inverter off.

Plan B is an auto-changeover relay which switches everything ON when the inverter is ON, and switches everything to EHU if the inverter is OFF. That's the opposite to what is normally done. If there's no EHU, everything goes off when I switch the inverter off, but that's OK. Now I can turn the inverter off, and get either just EHU or nothing - and no hum. The inverter switch is inside the MH, on the wall. Actually it's a Cerbo GX control panel, but a Multiplus control panel would work just the same.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I think there's a number of things going on here. I have a Victron Multiplus 2, and that hums more or less whatever I do. It's mounted on the garage front wall (thin board), and it just hooks onto the mounting plate, and is secured by two screws.

First, the hum is amplified by the thin board. The Multiplus can move slightly on the plate, when driving for example, so the contact between the board and multiplus can vary, and so can the hum. Maybe some rubber mounting points would improve it, like it does for water pumps etc.

The fixed bed is just above the garage, and the hum, although quiet, is loud enough to be disturbing. Plan A was to switch everything from inverter to pass-through at night, and switch off the inverter. That for some reason doesn't work, everything just goes off when I switch the inverter off.

Plan B is an auto-changeover relay which switches everything ON when the inverter is ON, and switches everything to EHU if the inverter is OFF. That's the opposite to what is normally done. If there's no EHU, everything goes off when I switch the inverter off, but that's OK. Now I can turn the inverter off, and get either just EHU or nothing - and no hum. The inverter switch is inside the MH, on the wall. Actually it's a Cerbo GX control panel, but a Multiplus control panel would work just the same.
Sounds like a plan. Will look into all ideas once hone next week.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
All and only with hookup
Thats a indication of NOT transformer humming. With Hookup present, the multiplus it performs as pass through power, not inverting. You may have a dry relay that closes on AC in present. It’s rare, but has been cases with dry contacts on relays. A polish guy did a nice trouble shoot with a de soldered relay, and easy fix. The inverter as a unit is robust, but, with added mobile vibration can cause hidden loose contacts.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I reduced battery by 10% by boiling kettle using inverter/mains off and the buzzing has gone. 11 hours now without a buzz despite mains taking battery back up to 100%.

OP
OP
Folkranger
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
One year later, away for 5 weeks and buzzing is back. Just so annoying. Obviously I haven't done anything to stop it as it stopped itself.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back