Charged and fined (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014
Over the last few months I have read a lot of posts about weigh bridges , overloading and up rating vehicles. So I went this week and was pleased to find out i was under the 3500.
So I was wondering how many people have been caught over weight and what was the out come , a telling off, made to unload or were you fined.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
A good question. If I was stopped and was overweight, will I be fined if I am able to lower my weight? Perhaps by emptying water tanks or moving weight from rear to front.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The problem is that those who are guilty of the above would actually be very unlikely to admit to it on a public forum so it is rare to find actual 'cases' of this happening, but it does happen, we've certainly seen MHs pulled over to be checked - it happened one year at Peterborough when the MH show was on and I don't think the official were just wanting to have a shuftie at the pretty interiors!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Not in the Uk but a member of our motorhome club here was stopped and weighed . His van was ok but his friend was overweight and fined . Also when in Silves last winter on the road towards the N125 the GNR were stopping an weighing with I guess pads which they must use for random checks .

Reactions: DBK
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have been pulled in and weighed once, while on the A38.

We were within limits but the Transport Dept. Inspectors broke our alarm system switch under the bonnet, a fact we only discovered later in the day when we set the alarm and it went off immediately.

We were due on the Santander ferry the next afternoon and had to rush around looking for a microswitch the next morning.:mad:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We were pulled into the fixed weighbridge area on Stafford Services. Gutted when they said that I was 400 kg over weight, and that I had to 'lose' that amount before proceeding. :cry::cry:

I picked the wife back up two weeks later when all the food and water was used up. She didnt really mind, she got a part time job kick stating artics with flat batteries. (y)(y)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Good to see you still have your sense of humour Dave! Does Aly realise what you post I wonder!!

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
We have been pulled in and weighed once, while on the A38.

We were within limits but the Transport Dept. Inspectors broke our alarm system switch under the bonnet, a fact we only discovered later in the day when we set the alarm and it went off immediately.

We were due on the Santander ferry the next afternoon and had to rush around looking for a microswitch the next morning.:mad:

What was the inspector doing under the bonnet? :unsure:.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The problem is that those who are guilty of the above would actually be very unlikely to admit to it on a public forum so it is rare to find actual 'cases' of this happening, but it does happen, we've certainly seen MHs pulled over to be checked - it happened one year at Peterborough when the MH show was on and I don't think the official were just wanting to have a shuftie at the pretty interiors!

Were they being checked for weight, you "don't think they were having a shuftie " doesn't sound factually accurate :)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Not in the Uk but a member of our motorhome club here was stopped and weighed . His van was ok but his friend was overweight and fined .
Was this her ?

1896b83d7a8516a691dba0318910914e.jpg

Last edited:

moggyg

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze 2007
Exp
newbie - again
I was stopped and weighed at the Swiss border when going skiing in italy in 2007. I was a bit clueless about weights etc so my genuine blank look was enough for the border guards to say it must be the snow on the roof and helped remove some. I had visions of leaving OH and three weans at the border.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The weight watchers on the M62 at Oldham had a skip that was mainly used by builders for dumping bags of sand/cement/plaster etc to get them underweight.
HGV's were parked up till another vehicle could come and take goods off the overloaded vehicle. I have been weighed a few times in my truck but never been overweight
To answer the OP I would imagine if possible you would be allowed to dump water, maybe even grey if your carrying any and move weight around inside to get axle weights within allowances, whether you would be fined as well I'm not sure.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Not in the Uk but a member of our motorhome club here was stopped and weighed . His van was ok but his friend was overweight and fined . Also when in Silves last winter on the road towards the N125 the GNR were stopping an weighing with I guess pads which they must use for random checks .

Did his friend go on a diet? Xxx

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Two questions spring to mind:

How many ppsi on those shoes?
How does she wipe her bum with those nails???

I doubt her arms can reach round all that flesh to find her bum!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back