Charge controller (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you mean solar controller it doesnt really matter.
If it must be closer to one or the other due to accessability or room then closer to battery rather than panel.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I am sure there will be folks joining in soon that will tell you about distance and voltage drop. From what I gather reading the other threads on this topic is that the controller should be close to the batteries as you can afford more voltage drop from the panel to the controller than you can the controller to the batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
misskiwi

misskiwi

Free Member
Apr 4, 2013
Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
Conversion
Exp
Yes a solar charger, if I put it on the wall of the camper van it would be 1.40 from the battery, is that ok or has it got to better closer.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds fine to me.
As Zigisla said its to do with distance and volt drop due to cable size and length.

The wires from the panel to controller usually carry around 17volts so a greater distance may reduce that to 16v....an acceptable voltage.
To lose anywhere near that on the controller to battery which may only be 13v would be too much.

In reality the distanced for it to have any real effect would be far greater than that in a motorhome if the correct sized wire is used.
4 to 6mmsq is the usual acceptable size.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As pappajohn says not critical providing the cables are large enough, don't need to go overboard on the cables as the largest volt drop will be in the summer when you have most output available & least need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back