LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Having discovered here from the funsters, that the charge controller should be as close to the battery as possible to prevent voltage drop, I find the cable length on my Imala 734 to be 3m ish, down the wall across the underside of the van and into the battery compartment.

In fact the fuseboard and electric panel are all on the rhs of the van and the leisure battery is placed on the underseat on lhs where the electric switch for the step is, surely it would make more sense for the batteries to be on the RHS directly under the sloar controller and sergent panel.
Unless the reason is the leisure battery is located to be nearer to the cab battery which is under the passenger footwell, 1 m away.

Im thinking of moving the leisure battery when my new Lithium arrive, any other Imala/autotrail owners have the same issue, and did you change the battery location for similar reasons.
Just seems to make more sense to sit them under the solar controller rather than move the controller all that way when the sergent panel is there also..

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Overlong cables are common in motorhomes, My Pilote has the leisure battery in an external locker next to the front passenger seat, the cable runs all the way back to the rear under the left of the van, with about a metre and a half coiled up in the space under the hab door step. Then it runs forward again to the under side setee stowage to the ELB, then back again and up in front of the hab door to the control panel before heading off to the various services. I rerouted it and had enough cable to double up the runs from the leisure batt to the EBL. Pilote just made one loom for whatever size van and coiled up the rest.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Cable length does not matter proving the cable is of sufficient size so the volt drop is minimal, unfortunately no chance of that in a Brit built van, cables are always ridiculously undersized.

You could upgrade the cables and leave the battery where it is or move the battery, even moving the battery it will be well worth upgrading all the cabling to get the best out of the new battery as the cabling in your van will be well undersize.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back