Channel Tunnel or Ferry? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
2 weeks! def Newbie......
Just thought I would throw this out and see what the favourite option is in regard to price, ease of access onto ferry / Train., good or bad experiences.

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Havn't been abroad in the Motorhome yet but if we do it will have to be the tunnel whatever the cost because of the dog.
Hi daveandsan, you don't have to do the tunnel because of the dog. Our 10-year-old Jack Russell travels to and from France quite happily on the Dover-Dunkirk and the longer Roscoff-Plymouth route. We leave food and water for her and she is absolutely fine. I'm sure dogs regard the motorhome as their home, albeit a temporary one, so as far as they're concerned it's no different to leaving them in the house.

Upvote 0

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Not having done it yet but when we do go abroad in the New Year in our MH and after reading all about ferry v tunnel we'll be opting for the tunnel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
We always use the tunnel for the speed and convenience .... There is a cost penalty but in the scheme of things it hardly makes a difference.
Like wise. Tunnel every time. If we arrive early and we get an earlier train. Once onboard out comes the thermos for a cuppa with a Danish and some reading on the Kindle then before you know it 35 minutes has gone and we're on our way.

Upvote 0

Mathilde

Free Member
Jun 7, 2011
Australia
Funster No
MH
Peugeot auto sleeper
Exp
since 2010
Never seen this offer, can anyone elaborate?

Keith
This September we arrived at the ferry office at Dieppe to book our trip to Newhaven and were offered 20% off (being over 60). Advised to line up and park free and safely at the check in ready for early 6am departure. Ferry Office with free wifi and excellent toilets open all night. We slept really well. Recommended.

Upvote 0

Patcherelli

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Swift Sundance 630G
Sorry if this has been mentionned but is LPG allowed on the tunnel?
Went to Le Mans two years ago in my mates Range Rover and we had to go ferry as it was LPG

Upvote 0

Sterling155

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo TL680g
Exp
7 years
Sorry if this has been mentionned but is LPG allowed on the tunnel?
Went to Le Mans two years ago in my mates Range Rover and we had to go ferry as it was LPG
As I understand it, Eurotunnel will allow vehicles fitted with LPG tanks for the purposes of heating, lighting or cooking to use their service, but regulations stipulate that a total of no more than 47 kg of gas can be carried through the Channel Tunnel. Tanks must be switched off before boarding and must be less than 80% full. However, vehicles powered by LPG CANNOT be carried through the Tunnel, so no LPG engine conversions permitted. Hope this helps

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Irrespective of the cost, why would anyone risk feeling sick for 90 minutes on a ferry when you can use the tunnel and begin your holiday feeing fine in just 30 mins?

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Feeling sick?
Bad sailor, Robert?
Many folk are, so to them the tunnel is an option.
Some of us like the ferries, come off them feeling fine.

Choices, eh?

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Choice is good, Robert, I fully agree.
We haven't had a bad crossing yet though.
On holiday an hour each way is neither here nor there for us.
Your choice is good for you, ours good for us.(y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back