Channel Tunnel or Ferry? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
2 weeks! def Newbie......
Just thought I would throw this out and see what the favourite option is in regard to price, ease of access onto ferry / Train., good or bad experiences.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
There's no doubt tunnel is best and we're big fans and have always been prepared to pay a little extra for the convenience.
But now it's 3 times more expensive it's not for us.

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
If cost is a major consideration they you won't beat some of the ferry deals, however we use the Tunnel and Tesco vouchers, the cheapest fare for next year seems to be £75 (single) and these aren't at silly times either, I've booked sensible times in March and April, out 18.50 (could have chosen another time between 18.00 and 20.00) and back at 8.50 (although I could have made it any time up to 10.00 if I'd wanted to), both on week days. The most annoying thing is that the tunnel costs £2 extra per dog now for a return ... !

Our dogs of course much prefer the Tunnel as its quicker and less frightening for them too. Also, if you miss your train you are put on another without a problem, can't do that with the ferries as they'd charge you, and the gap between the ferries is so much longer you'd have a good few hours wait in any case.

We did the ferry to Ireland (no tunnel available!) and it did my head in ... very noisy, long journey and takes ages to load and unload as you have to be there a lot earlier than you do for the tunnel (same as Dover and Calais crossings). Food and drink at extortionate prices and in effect it felt like we were just wasting time when we could instead be enjoying more holiday time or getting back home ...

Whilst I have enough Tesco vouchers to exchange for Tunnel crossings I'll stick with it!

We also like the fact that if you arrive early you may well get put on the next available at no extra cost..................once again try that on a ferry!:eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've never had a problem with being put on an earlier ferry. Always coming from Dunkirk side. & always got earlier crossing when arrived early .

Upvote 0

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Tunnel every time, speed, convenience...you can keep the summer cattle ships! :)

have a look at my thread regards sharing the frequent traveller scheme over on France Forum. £46 + £11 motorhome supplement per single trip
Do you have a link?

Upvote 0

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We also like the fact that if you arrive early you may well get put on the next available at no extra cost..................once again try that on a ferry!:eek:
Exactly that happened both ways to us on P&O ferries. in October/November. Dover to Calais. Cost £95 return. I don't have Tesco vouchers and every time I have priced the tunnel it has been a lot more than the ferry.

Upvote 0

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
We're going in June priced dfds against tunnel peanuts difference so tunnel it is, got another in August but can't get tunnel price at the mo so hanging on that.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
This Thursday we are P&O. Channel tunnel was 150 quid, ferry was 82. No brainer unfortunately...

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Ferry is favourite, we just enjoy the break, a nice meal, a stroll around, read a newspaper and chill.

Once got stuck in the Folkestone Tunnel car park for a few hours due to a train malfunction, what a desolate spot, have used it, but not a fan, I just enjoy ship trip.

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
This year alone we've done 7 Dieppe/Newhaven returns.
By using DFDS instead of BF we've saved just under €910.
Never consider the Tunnel any more due to the miserable trek to Wales from Folkestone.
And we haven't had a single choppy crossing, let alone a rough one - Dieppe/Newhaven is the most docile part of the Channel: further west you get the swell from the Atlantic. Further east the seas are piling up approaching the narrow bit.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Havn't been abroad in the Motorhome yet but if we do it will have to be the tunnel whatever the cost because of the dog.

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
When we lived in Liverpool it would take us all day to get to Dover so the ferry was a break and meal opportunity but now we live in Sandwich we don't want a break that long 15 minutes after setting off from home. So it's Tesco Tunnel for us every time ......except day trips when we use P&O cos they have the best offers in their shop for booze

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Same here
Last 2 trips ferry £180 return tunnel £560 return saving £380 no brained I'm afraid.
How much for the tunnel!!!! :eek: Not sure why it would be that much, we usually pay between £70-£80 each way and that's not at silly times either.

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Ferry for us.
Not had occasion yet to use the tunnel, also don't shop at Tesco.

We like the idea of a decent break, travel in the open and the facility to have a meal (full English if available) whilst watching the world sail by through panoramic windows.

That wins for us over travelling in artificial light with a packed lunch and flask of coffee.

Tunnel if you want a quick crossing, ferry if you want a travel experience in the open air.

Nothing wrong with either.
Each to his own.

Upvote 0

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Tunnel every time - quicker, less hassle and you don't need to shop at tesco. just get a tesco credit card, use it for everything and set it up to pay off every month as if a debit card.

35minutes just time for a cuppa from a flask and lounge on your own sofas. Hubby lies down for a quick power nap!

Also the tunnel doesn't care how long you are it's a flat fee and its better if you have a pet. Sadly we no longer do. It when we did it was a no brainer.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Tunnel every time - quicker, less hassle and you don't need to shop at tesco. just get a tesco credit card, use it for everything and set it up to pay off every month as if a debit card.

35minutes just time for a cuppa from a flask and lounge on your own sofas. Hubby lies down for a quick power nap!

Also the tunnel doesn't care how long you are it's a flat fee and its better if you have a pet. Sadly we no longer do. It when we did it was a no brainer.
That's exactly what we do, use the Tesco credit card and pay it off every month but don't shop at Tesco, it's surprising how quickly your points add up. (y)

Upvote 0

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Ferry. No way am I or BH going through a man made hole in the ground no matter how quick. Anyway whats the rush your on holiday for Gawds sake

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
How much for the tunnel!!!! :eek: Not sure why it would be that much, we usually pay between £70-£80 each way and that's not at silly times either.
Just logged on eurotunnel website checked price for outward Nov 14th 6pm return Jan 25th 6pm price £298.00
Can't copy and paste for some reason but that was the price 20 minutes ago.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/book/TravelOptions/(0)
Tried to paste but don't think it works.

Upvote 0

Steveth

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Wherever We Are Parked
Funster No
MH
Swift Esprit462 (Freddie)
Exp
Since 2014
Tunnel for us, don't shop at Tesco and I am a poor sailor. Most we have paid is £91 one way and that was booking 36 hours before travelling.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Tunnel definitely we travel in a few weeks cost £83 + the dogs but you have to pay on the ferries for them as well.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just logged on eurotunnel website checked price for outward Nov 14th 6pm return Jan 25th 6pm price £298.00

I assume you mean 14th December ... if you are going to book so close to your crossing date then of course it's gonna cost! What are the prices for the ferry instead ... I bet they're not cheap either!

Upvote 0

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I'd use the tunnel if, I only had two weeks for my holidays; It didn't take over 6 hours to get to Folkestone; British roads weren't so congested and hold ups so unpredictable; The Thames crossings were easier and I didn't have to go through Rouen. Portsmouth/Le Havre ferry is our favourite.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

I make it around £200 or less if you change your time, unless you have trailers or dogs or something

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just done a quick reckie on the ferry and Eurotunnel websites for a 7m MH and at the times/dates you've given it came up as:

Eurotunnel £107 out, £103 back = £210
DFDS ferry (cheapest I can find in a quick look) £76 out, £84 back = £160​

So nothing like the amount of difference you're suggesting, assuming I've read the web pages correctly.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Ferry for us.
Not had occasion yet to use the tunnel, also don't shop at Tesco.

We like the idea of a decent break, travel in the open and the facility to have a meal (full English if available) whilst watching the world sail by through panoramic windows.

That wins for us over travelling in artificial light with a packed lunch and flask of coffee.

Tunnel if you want a quick crossing, ferry if you want a travel experience in the open air.

Nothing wrong with either.
Each to his own.
The difference is that you have time to have your lunch either before or after if you want if you use the Tunnel and therefore don't have to pay extortionate prices for it on the ferry and queue for ages either!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
We like the tunnel with dog but this year tried DFDS ferries,outbound we tried to relax and just as we were dozing off some bloody anousment comes over about the shop (trying to make money).On way back we were put right at front on open deck Sue was'nt happy as dog had to stay in the van,big ocean in front very scary etc...So no help from staff and for whatever the cost it's tunnel for next trip.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back