Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
officially since 22 feb 2010
Is the Euro tunnel available to RV's? I am fairly reliably informed that if my overall height is under 3.65 metre I will fit. I will have cats on board so a ferry will cause upset amongst them, where-as the "chunnel" is quicker.

Any ideas please?:thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Baldy

You should have no problems using the tunnel, we have seen plenty of RV's and coaches when on board. If you have an LPG conversion fitted to your engine though you will not be allowed to travel.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Is the Euro tunnel available to RV's? I am fairly reliably informed that if my overall height is under 3.65 metre I will fit. I will have cats on board so a ferry will cause upset amongst them, where-as the "chunnel" is quicker.

Any ideas please?:thumb:

You will have no problems taking your RV on the tunnel. We used it for 10 years with different RV's cos both us and our Persian (Dougal) HATE ferries.
tips.
1. the car park for the animal vetting office (on the right hand side after you've gone through the first barrier) is rather small for RV's and nigh on impossible to negoitiate if packed. You might have to park just outside and walk in.

2. TECHNICALLY speaking, if you fill your RV onboard tank to full, you MIGHT be over the limit for eurotunnel allowable limits. I was, but in 10 years, I was only ever checked properly once by a young lad who obviously LOVED his new uniform!:Doh: However, thankfully he wasn't a rocket scientist and took my word for it when i showed him the A4 piece of paper with my calc's on for tank capacity and US to UK gallon conversion. What he didn't know was that I'd fudged the figures! In hindsight, I needn't have bothered cos for a standard 2 week holiday in France such as mine are, there's noway I'd get through a full RV gas tank in two weeks!::bigsmile:

3. Entrance into and out of the carriages is OK, even fo rthe longest RV's as there is a large loading area. The trick is to drive onto it as if you're going to drive straight off the other side and then straighten up at the last minute. That way, you get the back end "in line" without any "drift in".
When you're in the carriage, there is a curb each side about 6" high in each carriage and a sort of speed ramp between each carriage, both of which are a bit of a pain if you get loaded at the end of an empty train cos they make you drive through to the front between the faily narrow curbs and over each ramp!:Doh: Just watch your mirrors when going through the isolation doors at the end/start of each carriage.
Before you go in, make sure your electric step is isolated cos if you open your habitation door, the step is likely to jam on the curb. ffi and I got so fed up of forgetting this that we got in the habit of using the drivers door instead.
Once your in, chill out!::bigsmile: Our Dougal used to enjoy walking up and down the carriage as we we're usually lucky enough to get one to ourselves.::bigsmile:

HTH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Wont take LPG powered vehicles sadly although fine if you have you domestic appliances run on lpg.

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thank you

thanking you all very muchly. ::bigsmile: the mogs don't like the baskets, taking them to the vet is somewhat of a rather painful experience,and my arms are starting to be permanently shredded.

LONDO, my spoilt male cat is somewhat large 3ft 6inches long (nose to tail-tip)and can be foul tempered and has sharp teeth and claws. Even though Papasmurf calls him gay. (what was the name of the cat that wanted to eat the smurfs?):ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness though, thanks to all

OP
OP
Baldy

Baldy

Free Member
May 8, 2008
The open road
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
fire, fire, fire

Thankfully, these fires in the tunnel are a rare thing and there was no loss of life(as far as we know at this stage)

Hopefully they will have it open again by the time we are ready to go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Thankfully, these fires in the tunnel are a rare thing and there was no loss of life(as far as we know at this stage)

Hopefully they will have it open again by the time we are ready to go.

I flippin' hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Sad: Supposed to be using it next friday!:Sad:
You know those times when you're sat there thinking....."can things get any worse!!!":cry:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I flippin' hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Sad: Supposed to be using it next friday!:Sad:
You know those times when you're sat there thinking....."can things get any worse!!!":cry:

Well yes actually they can......you could be sat at the airport waiting to go on hoilday with Excel Airlines :Eeek::cry:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
From my memory (not a reliable guide as a rule) the tunnel will take up to 4.2m in height. LPG for propulsion is a nono though they don't seem too fussy about how much you have for other purposes. They usually check that cylinders are turned off, don't know about fixed tanks.
BTW I went to France on Thursday (booze cruise) by Dover-Calais ferry and was held up for hours coming back by all the traffic which was diverted from the tunnel due to the fire. Eventually got back 5 hours late

fyggy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
In a brick built
Funster No
MH
Merc 316CDi
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!