Changing to Private HGV - DVLA and the V5C (1 Viewer)

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just on my second van but still I'm a newbie
i have recently gone through the the exercise to uplift my weight from 3500Kg to 4200Kg.

All the supporting paperwork (including a new VIN sticker) obtained very quickly from the JR Consultancy and sent with original V5C to DVLA during April.

I received a generic confirmation letter last week from DVLA to inform me changes had been made and a refund of excise duty (where appropriate) wold be made n due course and my new V5C would follow separately.

New V5C arrived this morning. Revenue weight now 4200kg, however, on V5C the following weights remain as per the original V5C:

F.1 Max. Permissible Mass (exc. m/c) 3500
G Mass in service 3500

When I saw this alarm bells sounded as my new plate clearly shows the new axle weights of 1850kg and 2350kg respectively and a GVM of 4200kg with a GTM of 6000kg.

Having done a quick search online, it appears there were similar issues a few years ago and the V5C had to go back, again, to DVLA.

I have called the, this afternoon and the person I spoke to didn't really seem to understand my point and she then put me on hold whilst speaking with a supervisor. This didn't appear to resolve anything and I've been instructed to return the V5C with a covering letter.

Has anyone else had a similar problem recently? I'm also a little worried as I now have a new VIN plate (alongside the original) and don't want any problems if pulled by either VOSA or the police.

Clearly until resolved I will have to make sure I am under the 3500 as recorded by DVLA and hope I don't get prosecuted for displaying a 'false' VIN plate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Rob

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They always do that I've mentioned it loads of times on threads on here about uprating.
Took me nearly 4 months to get mine corrected. You need to return the V5 together with a letter explaing what needs changing in words of one syllable.

OP
OP
RFS

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks @Lenny HB.

I found another thread from last year and it's clear this is a recurring problem.

It makes you worry just how many incorrect V5 documents (not just MH but cars and trucks) there might be out there with owners unaware ...... until the consequences when they get stopped.

I only noticed it by chance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Probably not a problem in the UK as they look at your plate but in France and other countries where you have to carry your V5 could be a problem.

Reactions: RFS

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
A timely post for me. We agreed with the dealer that, as part of our deal for the purchase of our new MH, they would up-plate it to 3650Kg at their expense. I have been looking at the DLLA website weekly and yesterday bingo! The revenue weight has been increased, in fact to 3700Kg thus allowing another 50Kg of wine or a second (very slim) wife :) I had heard nothing from the dealer, so rang SV Tech (I knew the dealer was using them) to ask about the new weight plate. They said they had posted it to the dealer three weeks ago, presumably in readiness. I contacted the dealer today and have arranged to take it in next Wednesday for the new plate to be affixed. It means a 30 mile journey next week with the wrong plate which I don't like. I am hoping I will be treated leniently, if stopped, if I explain the circumstances and if (as I will ensure it is) the van is under 3500Kg. What do you think? I hate the thought of not complying with the law, even though this will be the only journey since up-plating and without the correct plate on. Got home tonight and have a letter from DVLA dated 12th May, confirming the change. It enclosed a declaration from SV Tech confirming that a new plate has been affixed which is odd because (a) it hasn't and (b) it seems to have been sent in with the application. Why would you confirm the plate has been affixed before the up-plating has been approved? The certificate does show a depiction of the correct plate, so I am going to photocopy it and tape it next to the original plate. I'm sure that isn't strictly legal but at least it shows an honest intent.

OP
OP
RFS

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I had a separate letter from DVLA confirming the changes and telling me I'd get a tax refund and my new V5C separately. They have plc early changed the revenue weight but not the all important max permissible weight on the V5. Make sure you check your V5 is correct (for both weights) when you receive it.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hmm VERY interesting I am waiting for the necessary docs from Sv-Tech to send off to DVLA. I think I will enclose a letter with the application explaining what needs changing on the V5 (in words of one syllable). See if that will head the problem off.

OP
OP
RFS

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm trying to work out how many cases will fit safely on her seat....!! :)

OP
OP
RFS

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well, if it's a slim blonde, size 8, she could comfortably carry 4 cases of a good red on her lap....!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have just been on the phone to DVLA, I sent off the upgrade letters a month and a bit ago ,with a copy of the V5 and it got sent back saying I must send the orginal V5 . I did that and nothing has been heard since then. Hence I phone them up and first advisor just disappeared, I rang again and got another person who checked that everything has been accepted and they said they will get on to the department to get them to expedite the new V5. I wait with bated breath to see what it comes back as on the new V5, 3886 to 4200kg it should be so we will see in the near future, I hope.
The phone number is a paid one so we will see what the charges are for the first, hanging on waiting for a non person to come back to me.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There's nothing special or 'official' about the plate. You could simply prepare your own (then change it for the SV Tech one when it arrives).

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Slim, blonde, size 8 maybe ....... just sayin :whistle:

Well, if it's a slim blonde, size 8, she could comfortably carry 4 cases of a good red on her lap....!

Can't help thinking that extra payload might be needed for all the accessories needed to maintain that condition. They should be factored into the wine/wife 2 calculation.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's nothing special or 'official' about the plate. You could simply prepare your own (then change it for the SV Tech one when it arrives).
Agree.

@Stretto Boy there's actually no need to make a 30 mile trip to have them attach it either - they could simply post it to you for you to attach.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have just been on the phone to DVLA, I sent off the upgrade letters a month and a bit ago ,with a copy of the V5 and it got sent back saying I must send the orginal V5 . I did that and nothing has been heard since then. Hence I phone them up and first advisor just disappeared, I rang again and got another person who checked that everything has been accepted and they said they will get on to the department to get them to expedite the new V5. I wait with bated breath to see what it comes back as on the new V5, 3886 to 4200kg it should be so we will see in the near future, I hope.
The phone number is a paid one so we will see what the charges are for the first, hanging on waiting for a non person to come back to me.

Try ringing Rebecca - details on my post no 9 on the below thread, she was very helpful and it's not an excessive chargeable number either.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/driving-abroad-without-v5c-doc.135107/#post-1954618

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I wondered about affixing the weight plate myself but I thought it had to be permanently affixed by riveting or similar. Or is superglue OK?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I wondered about affixing the weight plate myself but I thought it had to be permanently affixed by riveting or similar. Or is superglue OK?
They are self adhesive, the ones SV supply aren't suitable for fixing outside, normal place to put them is inside the drivers footwell also you are not supposed to cover the original plate.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
i have recently gone through the the exercise to uplift my weight from 3500Kg to 4200Kg.

All the supporting paperwork (including a new VIN sticker) obtained very quickly from the JR Consultancy and sent with original V5C to DVLA during April.

I received a generic confirmation letter last week from DVLA to inform me changes had been made and a refund of excise duty (where appropriate) wold be made n due course and my new V5C would follow separately.

New V5C arrived this morning. Revenue weight now 4200kg, however, on V5C the following weights remain as per the original V5C:

F.1 Max. Permissible Mass (exc. m/c) 3500
G Mass in service 3500

When I saw this alarm bells sounded as my new plate clearly shows the new axle weights of 1850kg and 2350kg respectively and a GVM of 4200kg with a GTM of 6000kg.

Having done a quick search online, it appears there were similar issues a few years ago and the V5C had to go back, again, to DVLA.

I have called the, this afternoon and the person I spoke to didn't really seem to understand my point and she then put me on hold whilst speaking with a supervisor. This didn't appear to resolve anything and I've been instructed to return the V5C with a covering letter.

Has anyone else had a similar problem recently? I'm also a little worried as I now have a new VIN plate (alongside the original) and don't want any problems if pulled by either VOSA or the police.

Clearly until resolved I will have to make sure I am under the 3500 as recorded by DVLA and hope I don't get prosecuted for displaying a 'false' VIN plate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Rob

I have just opened the envelope contains our new V5C logbook and ours appears to be wrong as well! The revenue weight is correctly shown as the new figure of 3700Kg but the maximum permissible mass remains unchanged at 3500Kg and the mass in service as 3112Kg. It seems to me that the first of these figures should be upgraded to 3700Kg as well. The second figure presumably remains at 3112Kg as there has been no physical alteration to the vehicle and thus will give me s new payload of 588Kg compared with the old figure of 388Kg. Have I got this right? Just want to be sure of my ground before I rant st DVLA.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have been advised the following...

"Of the detail DVLA permit to be changed after registration, the F.1 (max permissible mass) data is not one of them.
There is no legal requirement for this to be changed and it is the revenue weight that is used for enforcement purposes."

Any on-line or ANPR checks only bring up the revenue weight.

Has anyone actually had an enforcement problem with this?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
They take a long time to change the website figures so I hope the enforcers/ Police do not just use that as a reference. Plate say 4200kgs and the website still says 3860

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
My V5 is blank in the section for max permissible mass.

I think that either means that the weight of the motorhome, driver and passengers, water, food and bits and pieces can't exceed zero (since you have no permissible mass) or that conversely you can carry as much as you want as your permissible mass has no maximum. One way lies misery, the other boundless joy :) or :(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have been advised the following...

"Of the detail DVLA permit to be changed after registration, the F.1 (max permissible mass) data is not one of them.
There is no legal requirement for this to be changed and it is the revenue weight that is used for enforcement purposes."
Surely if you are over the max permissible weight you must be illegal, the revenue weight is only for taxation purposes.
May not matter in the UK but try explaining it to Mr foreign plod.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Just had a look at the V5 for my Hymer which was plated at 4200Kg when new. The revenue weight is shown as 4200Kg and both the maximum permissible mass and mass in service have been left blank.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Cannot understand some owners thinking. Looked at a 2000 Fiat van today, quite a professional fit out, fella wanted £6000.
Yes I would be prepared to pay that for a PCV, on the V5!! Fella could not understand when I told him IT WAS A 2000 VAN!
NOT a M/H, ergo only worth under £2k, he hadn't changed the V5, he expected ME to get it changed after, in all reality, paying over 2/3rds what the thing was worth ON THE V5

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Cannot understand some owners thinking. Looked at a 2000 Fiat van today, quite a professional fit out, fella wanted £6000.
Yes I would be prepared to pay that for a PCV, on the V5!! Fella could not understand when I told him IT WAS A 2000 VAN!
NOT a M/H, ergo only worth under £2k, he hadn't changed the V5, he expected ME to get it changed after, in all reality, paying over 2/3rds what the thing was worth ON THE V5
Lots of new professionally converted PVC's are registered as vans, don't see your problem. Although I would agree from the point of view of speed limits it is better to have it registered as a Motor Caravan it does not effect the value.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back