Changing Starter Battery 1996 2.5TD (1 Viewer)

Claudius17

Free Member
Aug 8, 2016
Abercynon, South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All, Newbie to motorhomes and only had my Hymer 1997 B544 for 6 weeks. During our last outing the battery failed completely and I needed recovery to start the MH. Diagnosis was a dead battery, the alternator was charging well but the battery was refusing to hold charge.
My question is will there be a problem when I change the battery with the 'coded' system on this model Fiat Ducato?
I also intend to fit a cut off switch to use when in storage. Will this cause a problem with the aforementioned 'coded' system.

Thanks in anticipation of some expert replies.

Claudius17

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
did anything need codes after you got the van started? if no then no ,at that age i would imagine the only thing that would need a code would be the radio

OP
OP
C

Claudius17

Free Member
Aug 8, 2016
Abercynon, South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
No, no codes needed after jump start. The van does have a code warning light when ignition is turned on but this goes out within a few seconds after the key is turned. The battery is not absolutely flat but will not turn the engine over. I'm just wondering if the battery is removed that it might cause a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Claudius17

Free Member
Aug 8, 2016
Abercynon, South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
That's exactly my system, jollyroger, I'll go ahead and change the battery when I return from hols ( not in MH) .

Thanks very much for your help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I Claudius ,,,, sorry :).

The best thing you could do at the moment is subscribe to fun and be part of the community (y).

Its only 15 quid and we all help each other in loads of ways , your never alone as a Funster .

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
We have an isolator fitted, pain in the bum remembering to isolate every time you park up so we bought a battery master after the 2 nod battery died.

Peace of mind now as crank battery always topped up, no need to isolate or turn round and go back when you realise you forgot and won't be using it for a few weeks.

Available from Vanbitz, and if you join the Fun first you will get a chunk of your subs back with the club discount.

Hymie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back