Changing password on new router. Please help! (2 Viewers)

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Can I? Thanks, I will try that :) I am a bit of a numpty with all this.
Your not numpty at all, you just haven’t learnt how to do it yet. I can assure you there are lots of things I don’t know how to do!

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Without wishing to add to your frustrations, the internet speed and what you get over WiFi are connected but separate. If you can use a cable from a laptop to the router, a speed test on that will tell you what's coming down the wire into the house.

WiFi is radio, so prone to interference and coverage limitations, and some routers are better than others. Interference can come from neighbours using the same channel - most routers now auto-select a clear channel but it's worth checking with a phone App - but also from multiples WiFi devices in the same house. You might find that any one or two lightbulbs will work but not all of them. Lower frequencies are better at going through walls, so if you can get the 2.4g back on that might help. Location of the hub can also make a difference, and you can get devices that extend WiFi range using the buildings main circuits to carry it between rooms.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just to confirm - you can use both frequencies at the same time. EE support told me to work out which device worked best on which frequency and set and leave them. I leave TV and Ring cameras on 5ghz as they are fixed in place and fairly near the router. Ipads and phones that move around and my printer which is quite a way away are on the 2.5ghz

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Downside is that most of them need a neutral connection,

As another option, have you seen these?

<Broken link removed>

It's a tiny module that can be located in/above the light fitting. The plus is that you just use an ordinary existing switch that will work as normal, but it makes the light smart. The double plus is that it can work with 2-way, even an intermediately switched, (i.e. 3 or more switches controlling the same light) circuits.

Works with Alexa too.

Isabellah

Free Member
Jan 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Don't own on yet
2.4 ghz wifi is a little bit slower but the range of wifi is much bigger, the 5ghz wifi is faster, but the range is smaller, also there are some old devices not supporting 5ghz. Both frequencies can work at the same time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back