Changing password on new router. Please help! (1 Viewer)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Having recently changed internet providers, I have a new router.

Obviously the password needs changing for security but the default password mentioned on the manufacturer's website doesn't work so I can't access the settings.

I have done a hard reset in case someone somewhere had already changed the password but that didn't change the issue.

Anyone got any ideas?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Sorry to give a “search is your friend” type answer but with search on your isp and router model number you’ll get the options for default user & password 👍🏻

Edit: And as other funsters mention, look for the ssid & user info on a label 👍🏻

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as said, the oem password is on the sticker, usually admin

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
As an aside, not changing away from the defaults is a mistake.

I was on a group holiday travelling around somewhere like Albania and a couple of hotels had left their router on defaults 🤪
I could see how they’d setup limits on guest WiFi v staff. And there was a traffic log so I knew that room 8 had been catching up on BBC News.
I did look not touch - I can’t remember if I told the hotel their security was poor but I did ask guest 8 for the current status of the UK 🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Thanks for all the replies! The username default is indeed 'admin' and password '1234' but they don't work!

Another of the reasons to get in there is that my Smart lightbulbs no longer work so was trying to fault-find that when I came across this problem.

Nothing us ever straight forward with computers, us it?

On the upside though - when looking for the instructions for bulbs, I found £100 that I had stashed away :)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Who is it with? If EE then you are in luck as I find they are pretty good on the phone and will talk you through it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for all the replies! The username default is indeed 'admin' and password '1234' but they don't work!

Another of the reasons to get in there is that my Smart lightbulbs no longer work so was trying to fault-find that when I came across this problem.

Nothing us ever straight forward with computers, us it?

On the upside though - when looking for the instructions for bulbs, I found £100 that I had stashed away :)
If the router has the default user name and password on the underside and they don't work it will be a returned unit (2nd user) with the log-in data changed.

edit - as Stealaway says!(y)

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Not as far as I know - it came straight from the provider. Doing a hard reset should have taken it back to factory settings, I think.
A factory reset should do it for obvious reason. Probably a tiny hole to poke for 10 seconds or more, or hold a sequence of buttons...

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Have you tried admin, password
Or blank, admin?
It's now saying that 'admin' is invalid for the next 5 minutes. 🤪

Found a live chat on the provider's website but I am 14th in the queue and it closes at 5pm so not holding my breath.

Oh well, something to look forward to when they re-open on Monday morning.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
According to here:

There's either a sticker on the bottom of the device with the login details. Or it's admin admin.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
According to here:

There's either a sticker on the bottom of the device with the login details. Or it's admin admin.
Sadly not :(

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Not as far as I know - it came straight from the provider. Doing a hard reset should have taken it back to factory settings, I think.
Was your hard reset done by pressing on a recessed button?
As a hard reset does typically reset a router to ALL default settings.
If you’re happy to you write your router model here maybe we can check on how to hard reset it & the expected result I of that.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Well, thank you all for your help!

My son is home for the weekend and has just spent the last hour tearing his hair out over this conundrum.

Long and short of it...

The password is not 1234 as written on the router - it is cunningly disguised as the access key on the paperwork.

Seems the Smart (stupid) bulbs won't work on 5ghz internet, only 2.4ghz. That was changed which disconnected everything else. So had to reconnect the tv, phone, tablet etc.

Now it appears that only one Stupid bulb will work at a time so have to choose which one is least stupid.

I am going to have a glass of cider and watch Strictly. Cheers! 🤪

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Well, thank you all for your help!

My son is home for the weekend and has just spent the last hour tearing his hair out over this conundrum.

Long and short of it...

The password is not 1234 as written on the router - it is cunningly disguised as the access key on the paperwork.

Seems the Smart (stupid) bulbs won't work on 5ghz internet, only 2.4ghz. That was changed which disconnected everything else. So had to reconnect the tv, phone, tablet etc.

Now it appears that only one Stupid bulb will work at a time so have to choose which one is least stupid.

I am going to have a glass of cider and watch Strictly. Cheers! 🤪
I've got a couple of smart bulbs (YeeLight) that are 2.4GHz only. I've not had any issues leaving my 5GHz network switched on.

But most of my lights use smart switches. Switches are still cheap and less faff because you can continue using wall switch (instead of having to leave it on all the time). And if you have multiple bulbs in a room or a bulb blows, it works out cheaper. Downside is that most of them need a neutral connection, and I've not found any dimmable ones that work with LED bulbs yet.

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Not a happy bunny - internet is now dropping out every couple of minutes.

Is this because it’s now 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz? I will try changing it back and ditching the stupid bulbs to see if it makes a difference.

Son Adam has gone out on the town - I have opened another can of cheap cider 🙁

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
Not a happy bunny - internet is now dropping out every couple of minutes.

Is this because it’s now 2.4ghz instead of 5ghz? I will try changing it back and ditching the stupid bulbs to see if it makes a difference.

Son Adam has gone out on the town - I have opened another can of cheap cider 🙁
Can you not set the router to use 2.5 and 5ghz?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
The 2.4GHz band is usually more stable.
Not sure what’s happening after your changes.

Being both ranges: 2.4GHz and 5GHz is usually best. Or just 2.4GHz for overall compatibility

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
This is getting too weird. I ran a speed test on 2.4ghz before it disconnected and refused to recognise the router. It was 14mps.
Plugged my lappy directly into the router and changed the settings back to 5ghz and turned the stupid lights off. Now getting speeds of 62mps.
Think that I will just forget about the lights :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back