Changing netting in windows/roof vents for proper midge netting (1 Viewer)

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
So the main Heki vent in the habitation area of our Burstner has insect netting sufficiently small to keep midges out, but the windows and other smaller roof vents just have standard insect netting - find for flies, mosquitoes but no good for Scottish midges.

I've ordered some >3000 holes/square inch netting from here which seems to fit the bill, but how easy it it do dissemble roof/window screens and replace the netting? If this is infeasible and too difficult I'll just velcro the screen around the frame.... any other ideas? Thanks.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I had to repair my netting on a small kitchen window as an end came away so no new netting required but when I took it apart I noticed it would have been relatively easy to do, the only tricky bit was to get the spring loaded roller back together so it had tension....

Good luck...(y)

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We used to spray the netting with Smidge, this worked well in midge infested Kinlochleven.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The Lobster

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
So the midge netting turned up - fantastic stuff. It also turned out that all the roof vents were very easy to disassemble from the inside, and had a neat mechanism for tensioning their netting roller springs before putting them back. Replacing the vanilla insect netting with midge netting was straightforward - now let them try! I got some smidge as backup... and used the spare midge netting to make a door curtain (velcro top/left side and rubber weights to keep it reasonably straight).

So can't recommend http://www.midgie.net/netting.htm enough. They're a Scottish company and seem to know their midges :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
So the midge netting turned up - fantastic stuff. It also turned out that all the roof vents were very easy to disassemble from the inside, and had a neat mechanism for tensioning their netting roller springs before putting them back. Replacing the vanilla insect netting with midge netting was straightforward - now let them try! I got some smidge as backup... and used the spare midge netting to make a door curtain (velcro top/left side and rubber weights to keep it reasonably straight).

So can't recommend http://www.midgie.net/netting.htm enough. They're a Scottish company and seem to know their midges :)
Wow! Death to all midges.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back