Changing my campervan … but to what? (1 Viewer)

goodmorrow

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, I joined just a few days ago. Thanks for all the Welcome messages in the Introduce Yourself section!

I know this is an incredibly long post, and my thanks in advance to anyone who manages to get to the end of it. I'm hoping to get some advice......

First I'll have to tell you my medical situation, which I'm sure you don't want to know, but it's relevant. I have a problem that means I need the loo frequently and sometimes urgently. And you can't always find a bush when you need one.

So about two years ago I said to my wife, "Wouldn't it be nice if our MPV had a loo - and curtains for the privacy to use it. Oh - that's a campervan! Well, I do go to folk festivals, so a campervan would be useful!" But we still wanted it to be primarily an MPV.

So we got a pop-top VW T5, with a removable middle row of seats in front of the rock'n'roll bed, so it could seat six. It's been very good – I use it for everything from a family outing to a quick dash to the shops (despite having a Clio as well, which mostly my daughter uses). But now, I'd like to change to a higher spec vehicle.

I've found that even a pop-top gets into very few multi-storeys, so this time I'm planning to get a high-top, for extra storage and headroom. I've found several companies that can do high-top 'vans of the same length as my T5 (5 metres) with six seats.

But folk festivals have no EHU and horrible showers - and some high-top 'vans have hot water and a shower room. Very tempting - but only 3 or 4 seats. These 'vans are around 5.5 metres – still short enough to be my everyday vehicle? On family outings we could go in convoy with the Clio.

And I've seen a few 'vans that have everything I want – six seats plus shower. They're around 6 metres - possibly ok for a family day out, but surely too long for a dash to the shops? I'd be back to the Clio – so no toilet. And I know that weight, license, and parking could get complicated.

So, which way to go? Get a 6m 'van (shower and six seats), and hope it will be usable both as campervan and as MPV? Or get a 5.5m 'van (shower, only four seats), admit it's a campervan not an MPV, and on family outings go in convoy with the Clio? Or get a 5m 'van (six seats, no shower), regard it as an MPV not a campervan, and for folk festivals go back to using B&Bs?

Thanks for any advice!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Have read all through your post, how about keeping what you have and getting a toilet tent for the folk festivals. See a few of those when I go.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Blimey.....well a shower is lovely, but is it essential? What takes priority for you? Seating? Or shower? It's something only you can really decide. Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I am unclear as to ages of your children. In your "introduce yourself" post you said that you had only used the third row of seats in your current van, two or three times. Do they come with you to festivals?
If they are getting to the age when they will be off doing their own things, then as you say family outings, when they happen, can be done in two vehicles.
You seem to have a Clio for use for that "quick dash to the shops."
You will have compromises whatever you decide.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
What about a portable shower unit. I think Gardner of Wakefield used to do them and they worked very well, folded away into a small bag and could be used in the van if you have about 2 or 3ft square of floor space.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
you owe me some thanks for reading the whole of the thread !

I ve had too much wine for an informed judgement so i ll agree with @Riverbankannie

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
go for the slightly longer van. It really is no harder to park than a large car. Why compromise when you really dont have to do so

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
For folk festivals you can't beat Billy Connolly's advice!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There isn't a lot of difference between a 5.5m vehicle and a 6m one. Both will overhang a typical parking slot.
If the shops you want to go to are supermarkets with large car parks then you'll be fine. We even get our 6m van onto Lidl's car parks!

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Its all compromise , if a new company advertised a motor home called a Tardis. yeh right (y)

OP
OP
G

goodmorrow

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for the replies.

Hit the nail on the head – a Tardis is what I need!

I should have been clearer about ages. Two daughters, aged 37 and 32. Older is married with 2 young children, younger is single, still lives with wife and me. So normally we're a 3-adult household. We need 6 seats when older daughter visits with the children, just a few times a year. Son-in-law often doesn't come, has to work, but when he does we go in convoy with their car.

I'm the only folk fan in the family, so I go to festivals alone. My wife says she'll come on camping holidays if I get something at least a little bigger – she finds the present 'van too cramped.

Thanks for the idea of a shower tent. I've got a suitable tent, only used it for storage so far. I've googled Gardener of Wakefield and found them, might contact them. Also found “Hozelock 4-in-1 Porta Shower” on Amazon. Only £26, I could try it. My present 'van has no hob or hot water (relic of wanting “just an MPV with toilet”), so I'll be boiling kettles on my portable camping stove.

Thanks for the comments about length. I hadn't really worried about this till I saw threads like http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/why-use-one-parking-space-when-you-can-take-3-or-4.148495/ . Admittedly that's a big motorhome shown there, and some posts are saying the criticism is unfair, but it got me wondering if taking up more than a normal space causes many problems.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ok, that's a bit clearer. So you still have the option of 2 vehicles for those infrequent family outings if you get a MH with washroom instead of seats.

However you and your wife need to decide whether having a MH is worth it for both of you. I suggest you hire one for a week to go away together and see how it goes.
You will find out how easy or hard to park, whether the lifestyle suits but the downside is, you won't want to go back to a toilet tent after having a handy one on the road with you! I think the big issue is whether your wife likes it, if she does, she might start coming with you to festivals. If she doesn't then no point getting what might be an underused vehicle.
Try before you buy!

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
There isn't a lot of difference between a 5.5m vehicle and a 6m one. Both will overhang a typical parking slot.
If the shops you want to go to are supermarkets with large car parks then you'll be fine. We even get our 6m van onto Lidl's car parks!
We use our 6 metre MH as our only vehicle and my wife has similar problems having MS. We carry a small portapotti as well as the cassette. We need a shower in case of accidents.
Hi, I joined just a few days ago. Thanks for all the Welcome messages in the Introduce Yourself section!

I know this is an incredibly long post, and my thanks in advance to anyone who manages to get to the end of it. I'm hoping to get some advice......

First I'll have to tell you my medical situation, which I'm sure you don't want to know, but it's relevant. I have a problem that means I need the loo frequently and sometimes urgently. And you can't always find a bush when you need one.

So about two years ago I said to my wife, "Wouldn't it be nice if our MPV had a loo - and curtains for the privacy to use it. Oh - that's a campervan! Well, I do go to folk festivals, so a campervan would be useful!" But we still wanted it to be primarily an MPV.

So we got a pop-top VW T5, with a removable middle row of seats in front of the rock'n'roll bed, so it could seat six. It's been very good – I use it for everything from a family outing to a quick dash to the shops (despite having a Clio as well, which mostly my daughter uses). But now, I'd like to change to a higher spec vehicle.

I've found that even a pop-top gets into very few multi-storeys, so this time I'm planning to get a high-top, for extra storage and headroom. I've found several companies that can do high-top 'vans of the same length as my T5 (5 metres) with six seats.

But folk festivals have no EHU and horrible showers - and some high-top 'vans have hot water and a shower room. Very tempting - but only 3 or 4 seats. These 'vans are around 5.5 metres – still short enough to be my everyday vehicle? On family outings we could go in convoy with the Clio.

And I've seen a few 'vans that have everything I want – six seats plus shower. They're around 6 metres - possibly ok for a family day out, but surely too long for a dash to the shops? I'd be back to the Clio – so no toilet. And I know that weight, license, and parking could get complicated.

So, which way to go? Get a 6m 'van (shower and six seats), and hope it will be usable both as campervan and as MPV? Or get a 5.5m 'van (shower, only four seats), admit it's a campervan not an MPV, and on family outings go in convoy with the Clio? Or get a 5m 'van (six seats, no shower), regard it as an MPV not a campervan, and for folk festivals go back to using B&Bs?

Thanks for any advice!
We use our 6 metre MH as our only vehicle, we can park in most supermarket carparks and we reverse the overhang over the grass to avoid paying for 2 spaces. We carry an extra portapotti as Sue has MS and is incontinent. My sympathies for your condition. We find the shower useful in case of accidents, we have an issue with lack of seat belts to carry more than 4 people so there we cannot help you. Good luck.

OP
OP
G

goodmorrow

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks Riverbankannie and Foxy1956 for your replies. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I got a bit confused trying to subscribe so I could post again.

Off to Murvi near Plymouth in a couple of weeks to look at their Morello, Pimento and Piccolo. Hoping one of these will suit us.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
You've asked for opinions, and mine from reading your posts is that your 6 seats are the place to compromise. Your medical needs must have priority. A shower tent is a useful idea but with an on-board loo you have the opportunity to 'go' while travelling - just pull into a lay-by or the side of any road when you need.

Taking up more than one parking space is usually OK but if you do in a PAYING carpark, you'll need to pay for each space you use & make sure that ALL the tickets are very visible; if there's an office, it may be best to check before you park up. Always read the carpark regs if you do take more than one space. Up to 6m you should usually manage with one space.

There's a lot of Murvi fans on here as this search shows:

Another make to look at, with a number of Funster owners (including me when it arrives in May) would be WildAx at Elland (near Leeds)
https://www.wildaxmotorhomes.com/
and maybe Nu Venture

OP
OP
G

goodmorrow

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks CWH. I think you're right, if I have to compromise on anything it will be the number of seats.

I definitely won't go longer than 6m. I'm just unsure whether I could use even 6m for everyday, although people on here are saying they do. When I go to Murvi I'll try both, Morello at 6m and Piccolo/Pimento at 5.4m. It's not only the length that worries me about the Morello, it's the weight - if it's over 3.5 tonnes, it will open up a whole new world of things I need to get right re my license (I'll be 70 in just over 2 years).

I'll take a look at Wild Ax and Nu Venture, thanks.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Thanks Riverbankannie and Foxy1956 for your replies. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I got a bit confused trying to subscribe so I could post again.

Off to Murvi near Plymouth in a couple of weeks to look at their Morello, Pimento and Piccolo. Hoping one of these will suit us.
I'll be interested to learn how you get on Goodmorrow.

OP
OP
G

goodmorrow

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks Foxy1956, I'll put something on here after I've been to Murvi.

Thanks for your suggestions of WildAx and Nu Venture. Looking on their websites, the WildAx Pulsar has 4 seats and shower, and is only 5m long! And a dealer not too far from me, too. That's so interesting I've just emailed them for a test drive. I looked up Nu Venture too, and (once I got past the Maidstone bus company of the same name!) I thought their Nu Rio Micro interesting, but I think I'd prefer a van conversion - people tell me they're more robust than coachbuilts.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks Foxy1956, I'll put something on here after I've been to Murvi.

Thanks for your suggestions of WildAx and Nu Venture. Looking on their websites, the WildAx Pulsar has 4 seats and shower, and is only 5m long! And a dealer not too far from me, too. That's so interesting I've just emailed them for a test drive. I looked up Nu Venture too, and (once I got past the Maidstone bus company of the same name!) I thought their Nu Rio Micro interesting, but I think I'd prefer a van conversion - people tell me they're more robust than coachbuilts.
I'm getting a Pulsar!!! :)(y)
(you may have a long wait though, they're very busy and they only build to order...)

OP
OP
G

goodmorrow

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Congrats CWH! I've just been watching reviews of them on YouTube, and they do look brilliant.

I had more-or-less decided I'd be getting one Murvi or another, but now Murvi has a serious rival for my affections.

When will you be getting yours? What's their current lead-time?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I get mine in May; I ordered it at the end of September!!! (but I think maybe part of that is because I have a 'special order' for a Fiat because I want a ComfortMatic gearbox). I'm getting some other personal bits in the build so I'm getting it direct form WildAx.
Be aware that the spare wheel (a luxury on a new moho!) is EXTRA to the 5 metres.
Phone them & talk to Duncan; he's very approachable & will be very straight with you about what's what.

There are some available immediately with dealers (there are 2 models of kitchen - one has a bigger fridge so you might want to check that out, depends how important it is for you).

Broken Link Removed

http://www.wiltshiremotorhomes.co.uk/motorhome-sales/wildax-pulsar-hi-top/

https://www.nickwhalemotorhomes.co.uk/wildax-pulsar-hi-top

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Nice looking bit of kit.

Bit odd that the number plate on the vehicle at link 1 and link 2 are the same - as are some of the photos!

Just saying like...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Congrats CWH! I've just been watching reviews of them on YouTube, and they do look brilliant.

I had more-or-less decided I'd be getting one Murvi or another, but now Murvi has a serious rival for my affections.

When will you be getting yours? What's their current lead-time?
I live a couple of miles or so from Murvi and if you want to drop in for a cup of tea and have a look at our Morocco just let me know. :) We will be starting to sort it out for our trip to Sicily in early April.
You should like Rex at Murvi, he is the antithesis of a salesman and will try very hard to persuade you not to add extras unless you are really sure you want them. Very refreshing. :)
Murvi have a really good owner's club with a range of small and not so small rallies throughout the year. Some folk also meet up for trips - three went to Iceland a year or so ago. And it wasn't to buy fish fingers. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Nice looking bit of kit.

Bit odd that the number plate on the vehicle at link 1 and link 2 are the same - as are some of the photos!

Just saying like...
I don't think it's odd, the dealer is just advertising in auto trader. :)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I don't think it's odd, the dealer is just advertising in auto trader. :)
Yes, but one claims that the vehicle is at a dealer in East Calder and the other is (presumably) Wiltshire. So I was just wondering just where the vehicle actually is if you want to go and see it.

Not looked at Wildax before but looks very nice from the pictures (y)

Reactions: DBK

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Nice looking bit of kit.

Just saying like...
I just took a closer look. Those are the photos from the converter's website. So maybe they won't have one in stock! I think the 3rd link has on in stock though. They'd all need a phone call to check lead times.

OP
OP
G

goodmorrow

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
(Thought I sent this earlier this evening, but maybe I forgot to click "Post" or something)

Congrats CWH! I've been watching reviews of the Pulsar on YouTube, and it does look brilliant.

I had more-or-less decided I was getting a Murvi of one kind or another, but now Murvi has a serious rival for my affections.

When will you be getting your Pulsar? What's their lead-time?

OP
OP
G

goodmorrow

Free Member
Mar 1, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Sorry, comes of re-typing the note I thought I'd sent earlier, without reading what's been posted since. When the dealer I contacted (Wiltshire Motorhomes) replies to my email about a test drive, I'll ask about lead-times.

Reactions: CWH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back