LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have a Hymer B584 with EBL99 and LR1218 solar connector.
Currently have 2 x 110AH leisure batteries and the engine battery which I think is a 90AH so a total of 310AH. After reading this morning that the EBL99 should only be charging a max of 180AH, my current 2 leisure batteries are old, I am planning to replace with 1 LDF90 Varta and keep within the 180AH limit on the EBL99.

I have 2 questions that I hope someone can help with:-

1. Am I correct in saying that if I pull the solar fuse on the EBL99 I can then safely disconnect the leisure batteries? Picture attached.

2. I dont know what power my 2 solar panels are giving out - a picture of them is attached in case anyone can recognise what they are?

Thanks in advance ,
Lloyd.

Electroblock.jpg Solar panels.jpg

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As a point of trivia I'm reliably informed that Varta Professional batteries are made in the same factory as Bosch Silver, and it's only the label that distinguishes them.

I replaced my factory fit (NCC grade C) Yuasa 90 Ah battery with a (NCC grade B) Varta LFD140 (Ah). Our panel is 100w and it's been running perfectly on a long trip round France with a lot of time spent on aires. I think you're making a good choice of manufacturer.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
The solar controller will probably like the panel to be disconnected first and then to be disconnected from the battery.
So i would disconnect panel from regulator and not bother with fuse on the ebl.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Im not familiar with your ebl99 unit or your solar charge controler. .. it's normal for a lot of the built in solar controllers to state a max panel wattage they will handle ,but I'm not sure why they would state the max size of battery bank they should be connected to...
I thought that would just effect the time it would take to charge the batteries and the controller would limit the current to its max output if the batteries were well discharged..
Has your system been a problem ??
Most folk would want to have as much battery capacity as possible ,and if it's been working I wouldnt want to lessen that capacity without good reason
That's just my thoughts from reading your post...
Andy.

OP
OP
LPB

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Andy,
I read this on the aandncaranvansevices website:-

Battery Bank Sizing
Most chargers support a battery bank 10 times the charger output, for example a late model Schaudt Elektroblock EBL 99 (fitted in more modern luxury Motorhomes World wide than any other charger) has an 18A output so will support a 180Ah battery bank. Because the Elektroblock EBL 99, like most modern units, also charges the Starter battery this has to be allowed for in the calculation.
Units like the EBL 29/220 can charge the Starter battery at up to 6 amps, that is 30% of the chargers 18amp output.

- they seem to know what they are talking about so it made me think I was pushing my luck.
I just noticed my EBL99 has 16A on the front of it as well!
Thanks,
Lloyd.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Lloyd the article is referring to the built in mains charger's capacity and I'm assuming is referring to the max output of said charger... you are also supplementing that with a nice looking solar system and your alternator will provide charge when on the road...
I still think you are downsizing your battery bank needlessly. ..
The capacity of your battery bank should only alter the time taken to charge it... (unless someone can tell me differently ) and most of the time with solar your batteries will most probably be well topped up and seldom require any charging source working at its full potential...
That's my thoughts ... wait and see if anyone else has thoughts on your proposal....
If your system as is has been supplying your needs with no problems why downgrade your battery capacity...?
Andy
Ps... your 16A charger is most probably an older elb99 and your solar fuse is a 10A so again that points to an older model I think...
None of that changes my thoughts for now.:)

OP
OP
LPB

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Andy,
Its been working fine so I think you are correct,
I will replace both batteries,
Lloyd.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Two points to answer your questions.
  1. The battery bank recommendation is from A & N Caravan services who know a lot about EBLs but they are being very cautious. I used to have 2 x 110 Ah batteries plus the starter battery on my EBL 99 with no problem. I have also had several email exchanges with Udo Lang at Schaudt who knew what my configuration was and never raised an issue of excessive battery size. Having said that, I would not go much beyond 200 Ah of leisure batteries with an EBL 99 because the recharging time will become rather long. Also, the Varta LFD90 is a good battery; I now have two of them (plus the starter battery of course).
  2. Concerning the solar fuse, the one on the front of the EBL is between the regulator (LR1218) and the leisure batteries. It does not isolate the panel from the regulator. Before disconnecting the leisure batteries you must either disconnect the + cable from the solar panel going into the regulator, or cover the panel with a blanket or similar. Many of us have an additional fuse in the + cable just before the regulator for exactly this purpose.
My setup for information is 135 watt Kyocera solar panel feeding an LR1218 connected to an EBL 99 on a Hymer B630 Star-Line.

OP
OP
LPB

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you Philip, I understand.
I will order 2 of the LFD90 batteries.
Lloyd.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Hymer b680 starline here with the ebl 99. have 2 115 amp lead acid hab batteries and solar . Fitted new a year ago no problems on or off ehu here. (y)

OP
OP
LPB

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
I ordered 2 Vartas and am in the process of fitting them now.
The batteries I am taking out have 2 vents in them - 1 either end at the top. They are just open and not vented to the outside.
Is it ok to put the new ones an and just leave the vents open and not vented.
I have no holes for a vent tube so if its necessary to vent outside I will have to find somewhere to drill, and at first glance that
doesnt appear as if its going to be an easy task.
Its a 2002 Hymer B584 and there is 1 battery under the drivers seat and the other under the passenger seat.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
Lloyd

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The batteries I am taking out have 2 vents in them - 1 either end at the top. They are just open and not vented to the outside.
I have no holes for a vent tube so if its necessary to vent outside I will have to find somewhere to drill, and at first glance that
Its a 2002 Hymer B584 and there is 1 battery under the drivers seat and the other under the passenger seat.
Lloyd

If the batteries are provided with vents then ideally they should be vented using small bore tubing to an external location but under the seats I'm sure there is plenty air flow and little chance of hydrogen build up...
You quite often find rubber blanking plugs in the floor under the seat plinths which can be used to route venting tubes to the outside..
Andy.

OP
OP
LPB

LPB

Aug 19, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well I finished installing the new batteries - not too bad I suppose!
Some time ago I asked the question on here 'How do I know if my solar is charging ok?'
Look at the electric panel came the reply. Well I did but never saw any movement in it.

Well I can see it now....
Solar 1.jpg
Whether that means the old batteries were in a bad state I dont know.

Thanks for the help,
Lloyd.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Lloyd
I have a 2005 B584 which had one battery under the drivers seat. I now have two under there but they only just fit. Either way the wiring run from passenger to drivers seat will accommodate the passenger side battery vent tube then both vents can run into the gas locker then to outside through close-fitting holes drilled to suit. That way you avoid drilling bodywork with the risk of rust starting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back