Changing gas bottles (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
If my calor gas bottle empties whilst in Spain is it easy enough to change over to Spanish bottles? Buy a suitable pigtail and connect it up?

Not sure how long my 15KG bottle will last but would be good to know what I would have to do in the future if it does empty.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you have UK Butane bottles now all you need do is remove the clip on adaptor from the end of the pigtail and replace with one of these...
ha118a-1_2.jpg SAM_0962.JPG

Spanish "Jumbo" adaptor. Simply clips onto a spanish bottle Repsol or Cepsa.
Dont confuse with the standard regulators that have a flip button on the top.

You may need to shop around a bit more, camping shops etc as they are not as common as the standard regulator.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Nice one @tonka much appreciated.

Are the Spanish bottles bought and returned similar to the system back home? Just buy one from a garage then return it when you need to swap?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Are the Spanish bottles bought and returned similar to the system back home? Just buy one from a garage then return it when you need to swap?
Depends where you are. Very unlikely that any garage ,repsol or cepsa shop will sell you one around here. You have to take out a contract specifying what you want it for . That's why most buy them at car boots empty & then just exchange them at a garage/shop

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The only thing I would add is that you can take out a contract at a Repsol garage for a 6Kgs bottle. It takes the same Jumbo adaptor as previously shown. You will need your passport to do this.

As Gus said (above) keep your eyes peeled for a large bottle but if, after time, you don't find one, you can always go down the small bottle route.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Someone has to say it..... Buy a second hand Gaslow from someone on here and have at least one refillable bottle and never have gas problems again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Nice one @tonkaAre the Spanish bottles bought and returned similar to the system back home? Just buy one from a garage then return it when you need to swap?

I am unsure about the in's and out's of taking a contract at a Garage. Easiest thing is just get a S/H bottle €10-15 seems the going rate. Look on campsite notice boards, Rastro's (car boot or second hand shop) or if your on Facebook check out local buy sell groups. Once you have a bottle its the same as UK, walk in, pay and swop to a full one.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Thanks for all the replies. You can sleep easy knowing I have gave you all an 'informative' badge of honour.

So my itinerary is now find a camp shop near alicante for this jumbo adapter, visit a few sites close by to steal.... see if anyone is selling a Spanish bottle or check 2nd hand sales. Anyone know of any near alicante tomorrow? And finally visit a supermarket to get more Jack Daniels and a decent knife for cutting veg.

How much is the adapter?

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
New full bottle is about €34
S/h bottle maybe €10
To fill s/have bottle about €12
Repsol prices .

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
When you take out a contract, they only charge for the gas, not the bottle,, but you need a gas certificate and passport, ;) and if you have it sometimes they don't want it and put it down as ' for a bbq ' :rolleyes: is easier to pick up a second-hand one and exchange it. :LOL: Bob.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
A pity you didn't ask a couple of days ago when you were in Beni, there is a Dutch guy on Villasol in the 200's who sells empty bottles, and a Brit on Toretta does the same, as Steve said look out for a Rasto shop while on your travels, you should get your cylinder there for €10.
You will get the Jumbo connector at any Ferateria (hardware store) probably cheaper than a camping shop, also some of the Chinese shops sell them !
Cheers
Ed

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
New full bottle is about €34
S/h bottle maybe €10
To fill s/have bottle about €12