Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Folks.
Currently my browser is AOL but I want to change it to Explorer. My OS is 7 and when I try to change browsers Windows 7 does not come up in the list of options that I am given to choose from.

Is Windows 7 described with another name.

Jim

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Also consider using something other than IE as it is the most likely to be targeted by hackers and the like.

Try something like Firefox, Google chrome or Opera.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I think the browser built into Windows 7 is Internet Explorer 8.

I think your right Graham, IE is installed on my computer. I just had to open it and save AOL as my home page.
Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Also consider using something other than IE as it is the most likely to be targeted by hackers and the like.

Try something like Firefox, Google chrome or Opera.

Thats interesting because the reason for me wanting to change to IE was to add better protection to my machine.

Jim

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Thats interesting because the reason for me wanting to change to IE was to add better protection to my machine.

Jim

Its personal choice at the end of the day. I use FF, others swear by Chrome, some will even say IE, and there are other less known browsers. If you opt to stay with IE just make sure you keep on top of any updates to minimise potential risk. :thumb:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Better protection would be to dump AOL wouldn't it Jim? :roflmto:

We stayed with IE for years (basically laziness) and still run it on most of our machines. I changed to Firefox on this machine a couple of months ago because of a problem with IE (just on this machine) with some sites. Probably some obscure registry glitch which affects nothing else.

Since getting used to FF I can't really tell much difference in practical usage.

As Paul says though, with any browser make sure you run updates (especially security updates) when they are released.

OP
OP
M

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Better protection would be to dump AOL wouldn't it Jim? :roflmto:

We stayed with IE for years (basically laziness) and still run it on most of our machines. I changed to Firefox on this machine a couple of months ago because of a problem with IE (just on this machine) with some sites. Probably some obscure registry glitch which affects nothing else.

Since getting used to FF I can't really tell much difference in practical usage.

As Paul says though, with any browser make sure you run updates (especially security updates) when they are released.

I did try to dump AOL and signed up with talk-talk for phone and broad band, well June did. Its a lot cheaper. When I installed the talk-talk software up popped AOL. :RollEyes:

Jim

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I did try to dump AOL and signed up with talk-talk for phone and broad band, well June did. Its a lot cheaper. When I installed the talk-talk software up popped AOL. :RollEyes:

Jim

Possibly a setting on your machine means that AOL is the default (or, possibly, was if IE8 is now the default).

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Use Firefox or Chrome, far better than the rest.

Rgds
Bill

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I use Chrome, I find it faster more stable & it don't clog up your machine trying to find out what you are up to. It also has a very simple tab structure that uses less space on your screen.

I find all windows products have been too nosy trying to find out what you are up to.

Firefox is also good but even that I find it's starting down the same path. But use it with Linux Ubuntu & it's really fast.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Jim

AOL is powered by IE for a start. AOL owns Talk Talk-or is it other way roundnot that it makes any difference.::bigsmile:
Mike.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Jim
as mike said, AOL is now owned by talkTalk.

they use the same software and the same Delhi based call centre :ROFLMAO:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
If you opt to stay with IE just make sure you keep on top of any updates to minimise potential risk.

Speaking of which...I see that Microsoft have just released a messy workaround solution for a serious security flaw they are investigating. It affects all version of Windows if you are using IE (BBC article). The problem is within Windows itself, so it looks like it'll take a bit longer to implement a proper solution that gets installed as part of the next 'patch Tuesday' update.

Fortunately there are no known cases of the flaw being exploited yet. But this is yet another reminder that even if you keep your software updated it's always best to avoid clicking any unknown URLs in your browser (or email client).

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
explorer

I use fire fox on win 7 ,you can choose who or what ever you like to browse on win 7 ,just open up your current INTERNET browser ,tools ,options,general tab selects your home page,advanced your default browser.
Fire fox is brilliant much more stable and better options and more stable than explorer.

The quickest way to set Windows 7's default web browser or programs is to go through the start menu: click on the Start button, and type default. As you do, the top result in the start menu should read "SET Default Programs", Choose default programs ,ittl bring up a list of loaded programs on your computer click on either browser you want to use and then simply click set as default. If it isnt there you need to download and install it ,and do above again.
Alan

Last edited:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I'm in the industry and have all three browsers installed. Firefox is my default for a number of reasons, not least of which the network settings can be set independently. Chrome I use as second preference as its so much faster than IE. I keep IE as there are still some sites that are so badly designed they will only work on IE. :Doh: MS Office update for example!

I'd totally ditch the AOL browser. Make sure you uninstall it! I'm with talktalk, and you just don't need it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back