Changing Alde fluid on a Hymer (1 Viewer)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
9EDA6C71-5E0A-4175-A42D-8CBDE4CAAA6D.jpeg
F2E4817B-FA41-4308-9192-78224C10A57F.jpeg
697BFE50-881B-4274-86F2-11D6BD8BC83C.jpeg
i am just getting ready to do a fluid change on our Alde but the access to the header tank is behind the corner of the shower virtually impossible to even top up with fluid let alone remove the header tank and attach a pump so it looks like part of the shower has to come out for access what a pain.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Mines in the wardrobe.
Is there any other way of accessing fluid?
Do they use a pump elsewhere to take it out and replace it?

OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Not much room as it is at the top of the shower. The main problem is the header tank has to be removed to purge the system with a pump,then circulate the fluid at a fast rate to clear all the air,
There are some bleed points under the dash and behind the furniture all with poor accsess.

Jan 28, 2008
walthamstow east london
Funster No
MH
renault burstner delphin
Exp
7 years campers before that
is there a drain off point that you could pump the new fluid in from?maybe an adapted garden sprayer could be used.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
is there a drain off point that you could pump the new fluid in from?maybe an adapted garden sprayer could be used.

I'm pretty sure my man did that initially then just used a jug to top up after the final bleed. Having said that it is in the wardobe and fairly easy to access.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 Dynamic Line
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My shower has the same corner unit as yours, just had a look at it and it looks faily easy to get the corner unit off the wall. Faily certian the white plugs have screws underneath the centre cap, you may need new caps after getting them off.

OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
My shower has the same corner unit as yours, just had a look at it and it looks faily easy to get the corner unit off the wall. Faily certian the white plugs have screws underneath the centre cap, you may need new caps after getting them off.
That’s right Lenny the proper pump will then fit and make it an easy job I will get some caps on order.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Steve dont understand why you're changing the fluid you haven't had the van that long have you?
The same. why change the fluid anyway? If your worried for some reason add some good quality anti freeze and forget it. A sqeezy bottle with some 10mm pipe taped to the top should suffice. Always had alde heating and never changed the fluid.

OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Steve dont understand why you're changing the fluid you haven't had the van that long have you?
Just getting ready we bought the van in the May of last year it had been on display for some months before that so the fluid will be 2 years old and it is the 2 year green fluid so might as well do this over the winter.
As they say prevention is better than cure.:)

OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Well I managed to buy a proper Alde pump to purge the system off eBay,
So will be changing the fluid in October this should be a simple job now.
The pump and fluid cost about the same as someone changing the fluid for me.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Well I managed to buy a proper Alde pump to purge the system off eBay,
So will be changing the fluid in October this should be a simple job now.
The pump and fluid cost about the same as someone changing the fluid for me.
I shall be interested how you get on with the pump Steve as mine is due to be done soon.

Will you be selling the pump on or maybe even renting it out?

OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I shall be interested how you get on with the pump Steve as mine is due to be done soon.

Will you be selling the pump on or maybe even renting it out?
Well that could be a good idea Brian.
I had rang a couple of mobile guys both wanted around £200 to change the fluid and then wanted to charge mileage to come out!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 1999
I've not done this yet but - it isn't a domestic heating system, it doesn't have air traps at the top of every radiator, or pipe work that varies in level by several feet. The pipes are all smooth bore and almost at the same height throughout the van so it should self-bleed over a few uses. I suspect the bleeding pump is so that a service engineer can do the job and guarantee the result without running the system for an hour or two whilst continually checking the fluid level.

OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I've not done this yet but - it isn't a domestic heating system, it doesn't have air traps at the top of every radiator, or pipe work that varies in level by several feet. The pipes are all smooth bore and almost at the same height throughout the van so it should self-bleed over a few uses. I suspect the bleeding pump is so that a service engineer can do the job and guarantee the result without running the system for an hour or two whilst continually checking the fluid level.
Well Tony I had our last van fluid changed and it always made some gurgleing noises after that and a lot of the bleed points are in strange places ie under the dash top, under the bedroom steps behind the seats.
On this van there are pipes on the garage floor lowest point, and under the dash (a class) and every level in between so I thought I would have a go myself.
There are videos of Alde on YouTube and it looks simple enough.

Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2006
I understood the fluid change frequency to be every five years and not every two years.

Ian

OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I understood the fluid change frequency to be every five years and not every two years.

Ian
Yes Ian only if the 5 year fluid is put in from new most manufacturers use the cheaper 2year one, as mine is the green fluid it is 2 year one.
I will be replacing it with Comma G40 xstream 50/50 mix with deionised water as recommended by Alde this will be good for five years.

Funsters who are viewing this thread