LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Well that's me a fully paid up member of the 'changing a wheel' club and I'm pleased I did, as the spare is retained by an entirely different method to my last two vans.

The previous two were held in a cage, which had toggle releases, this one has a winching mechanism and once the spare was lowered to the floor, it took me a while to suss out how to remove the retaining plate in order to get the wheel out from under the van.

I'm pleased I've had a practice run, it will make the real thing much easier, if I ever have to and it's also reassuring to know the scissor jack easily copes with the task.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I lowered down the spare to check the wheel and tyre and that the mechanism worked and was not seized but that's as far as I went when we bought our new to us PVC.
I would imagine that most of us live in hope that we never have to change a wheel as it's bound to be on a wet and windy night on an unlit single carriageway road with a muddy verge.
I'm sure some will not even know where the spare is located. :whistle:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
this one has a winching mechanism
Hi ken... it might pay to have a little extra security on the spare... they are easily removed using just boltcroppers and it a frequent occurrence. A good chain and padlock might help.. at least they would need more than croppers. .
The winding mechanism isn't cheap to replace either..
Andy..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Hi ken... it might pay to have a little extra security on the spare... they are easily removed using just boltcroppers and it a frequent occurrence. A good chain and padlock might help.. at least they would need more than croppers. .
The winding mechanism isn't cheap to replace either..
Andy..
Cheers Andy, I must be slipping, I can't believe I hadn't thought of that already (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I certainly wouldn't trust the provided scissor jack.
A 4 ton bottle jack isn't much heavier and far safer......along with an axle stand even with a hydraulic jack.
Like the interlocking teeth on a scissor jack, hydraulic seals can fail at any time.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I certainly wouldn't trust the provided scissor jack
John...we are talking changing wheels here not routine maintenance. ..
All the vans I've had up to 3.5 tonne that have been equipped with a spare have been provided with sissor jacks that have been up to the job of lifting the vehicle for wheel changing..
But I wouldn't use it for maintenance work..
Andy

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Hi ken... it might pay to have a little extra security on the spare...
Andy..
Giving that a bit more thought Andy.

When I put the spare back under the van, I'll have a look and see if one of the Submariners fits, with one of my motorbike chains. If it does, I'll order another 'keyed alike' :D

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Very soon after getting our van I removed the spare wheel to make sure everything worked as it should and I'm glad I did as the bracket that supports the centre of the spare wheel to the cable was unmovable due to the wing type retaining nut being seized solid.

Unlike a car where following a wheel change you would normally pop the punctured tyre in the boot I wouldn't waste time refitting the punctured wheel back in the cradle at the roadside, instead I've purchased a round BBQ cover to carry the dirty wheel inside the motorhome while looking for a tyre shop.

The least time spent changing a wheel at the roadside the safer it is for both you or the breakdown service !

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I covered the spare under my 4x4 in polythene to keep road muck off it so I did not get covered in dirt if I had to do a wheel change, and now I'm thinking why the hell did I not do that to the camper spare. Looks like a job for this weekend then.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Most of my working life in the motor trade including working for 2 tyre manufacturers and in no circumstances would I rely on a scissor jack.
Add to that 67 years and a less than perfect heart and I can barely lift the rear mounted spare to the floor. My solution is to talk to the breakdown service and a few national and international tyre dealerships and now I rely on the fully equipped experts just as the operator of a commercial truck might do. I no longer carry a spare just a suitable compressor for slow punctures so a big weight saving, more beer payload. I also found that the o/e alloys would not fit in the spare wheel carrier and would need to be carried inside if punctured.
Not everybodies solution but it works for me.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
John...we are talking changing wheels here not routine maintenance. ..
All the vans I've had up to 3.5 tonne that have been equipped with a spare have been provided with sissor jacks that have been up to the job of lifting the vehicle for wheel changing..
But I wouldn't use it for maintenance work..
Andy
Personal choice, I wouldn't use it for lifting my spirits never mind something weighing 3500kg and upwards.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Giving that a bit more thought Andy.

When I put the spare back under the van, I'll have a look and see if one of the Submariners fits, with one of my motorbike chains. If it does, I'll order another 'keyed alike' :D

As long as the chain links pass through the rim holes... a lot of the security chains were too big for the holes in my rim but hopefully that sorted now..
It stI'll cost me Ā£90 for a new winding mechanism... which was as cheap as I could source..
Was going to try making up a lockable cradle but it's a tight space and gave up on that idea.. just too much work..
I've still not ordered those locks for the karitek ...must get round to that soon...
Andy.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Well that's me a fully paid up member of the 'changing a wheel' club and I'm pleased I did, as the spare is retained by an entirely different method to my last two vans.

The previous two were held in a cage, which had toggle releases, this one has a winching mechanism and once the spare was lowered to the floor, it took me a while to suss out how to remove the retaining plate in order to get the wheel out from under the van.

I'm pleased I've had a practice run, it will make the real thing much easier, if I ever have to and it's also reassuring to know the scissor jack easily copes with the task.
I must confess that l haven't tested the change the wheel procedure yet and l must take a leaf from your book and try a dry run too. What is the retaining plate that you mention?

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I must confess that l haven't tested the change the wheel procedure yet and l must take a leaf from your book and try a dry run too. What is the retaining plate that you mention?
It's a plate that sits underneath the wheel and is attached by a small chain to the winch, which lifts the wheel and holds it in place under the floor when fully winched up.
It looked to me, to be too big to pass through the centre hole and I was looking for an obvious way of detaching it from the chain :whistle::doh:..... but it passes through the hole when positioned correctly.

It's really simple when you know how, so do make time for a dry run (y)

Ps..... Mine wasn't a dry run, it's going in for a new tyre at 1800 miles (n)

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Our spare wheel is sat on the floor in the centre of the garage. A spare was an option at a cost of Ā£800 :eek:, which included the 'cage' fitted underneath. I had already priced up a wheel and camper tyre at Ā£200 and mentioned this to Hayes and asked about having it on the garage floor. They said this would be OK and added it for nothing:D2. I wouldn't like to get it out though, I can't budge it.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
When we had our Lunar Roadstar I went out one morning to a flat tyre. Took the spare wheel from the carrier, got out the supplied Ducato Scissor Jack and my own Axle stand. Jacked up the van so that I could get the Axle stand under at its lowest level, wound up the jack some more and put the axle stand up a peg. Wound up the jack some more.

Should add at this stage that I was working on the downwind side of the vehicle. A gust of wind blew and put that little bit extra load on the jack and it just collapsed slowly like a chocolate teapot. Van dropped slowly half an inch onto axle stand.

Always use suitable hydraulic jack now and only then if road conditions are safe - otherwise call breakdown services

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
sylvester1954 said:

It's a plate that sits underneath the wheel and is attached by a small chain to the winch, which lifts the wheel and holds it in place under the floor when fully winched up.
It looked to me, to be too big to pass through the centre hole and I was looking for an obvious way of detaching it from the chain :whistle::doh:..... but it passes through the hole when positioned correctly.

It's really simple when you know how, so do make time for a dry run (y)

Ps..... Mine wasn't a dry run, it's going in for a new tyre at 1800 miles (n)

If your your van has factory fitted alloy wheels and a steel spare wheel make sure you have the "adapter plate and bolt set " to suit the alloy wheel as the centre hole is much smaller in the allow wheel than the hole in the steel wheel, without the adapter you cannot attach the alloy wheel in place of the steel spare wheel on the carrier.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009

If your your van has factory fitted alloy wheels and a steel spare wheel make sure you have the "adapter plate and bolt set " to suit the alloy wheel as the centre hole is much smaller in the allow wheel than the hole in the steel wheel, without the adapter you cannot attach the alloy wheel in place of the steel spare wheel on the carrier.
Yes, the van came with the adaptor plate and 3 bolts (y)

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I used the scissor Jack to remove a wheel. Brand new Jack FIAT. Buggered. Bearings fell out.I had to go buy a 4t bottle Jack to lower van.I learnt the hard way.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Currently our Chausson only has an inflator and sealant. Later this year I am going to make up a spare wheel carrier so we can be equipped with a spare at all times.

Not sure what sort of jack to carry tho. But confused about people talking about lifting 3.5 tons on the jack. Assuming one back tyre has gone down, then you'd only need to lift that corner of the van, so surely a 1ton capacity jack would do the job? You'd NEVER be lifting the whole 3.5 ton on any jack.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Currently our Chausson only has an inflator and sealant. Later this year I am going to make up a spare wheel carrier so we can be equipped with a spare at all times.

Not sure what sort of jack to carry tho. But confused about people talking about lifting 3.5 tons on the jack. Assuming one back tyre has gone down, then you'd only need to lift that corner of the van, so surely a 1ton capacity jack would do the job? You'd NEVER be lifting the whole 3.5 ton on any jack.

I think you will find that your "corner" includes a lot more than that. Effectively you need to jack up one side of the van.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
....... Not sure what sort of jack to carry tho. But confused about people talking about lifting 3.5 tons on the jack. Assuming one back tyre has gone down, then you'd only need to lift that corner of the van, so surely a 1ton capacity jack would do the job? You'd NEVER be lifting the whole 3.5 ton on any jack.
I agree with your thoughts, you won't be lifting the entire weight, but in reality, you're always going to be lifting more than a quarter of the total weight. As @SpeedyDux says, it's probably going to be closer to one side of the van.

I have a small 2 tonne trolley jack, which I keep at home in the garage and it struggled yesterday, which is why I used the scissor Jack.

Until a few of the earlier replies appeared, I was content with the scissor jack, but now I know better and I'm looking to replace it.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Also, the scissor jack has a plate and spigot, which lines up with a hole in the jacking point, making the whole thing less prone to slipping.

I'm struggling to find a bottle jack with a similar top, so will probably end up getting one fabricated.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Also, the scissor jack has a plate and spigot, which lines up with a hole in the jacking point, making the whole thing less prone to slipping.

I'm struggling to find a bottle jack with a similar top, so will probably end up getting one fabricated.

Back to what I said earlier ken... every sissor jack I've had supplied by ford has done the job on the few occasions I've had to use it... it's an emergency tool and It does the job...
You have already said the sissor jack managed better than little trolly jack..
On the chausson I carry a little trolley jack and as you said it struggles ,but to date it's the only jack that will fit under the rear axel and give enough lift in one go without using chocks and block's to get there..
I wonder how many people carry any form of chocks to make the lift safer..??
Enough lol.... each to their own..
Andy.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Off course,,,manufacturers would have been sued by now if the jacks were not fit for purpose,,,Easiest method is to run flat tyre up a levelling ramp to save having to jack van to that height,,also only use any jack on a solid surface,,BUSBY..

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Got me thinking.
I already carry the scissor jack + bottle jack but van has alloys fitted as standard but a steel spare perhaps the wheel bolts could be different for the spare?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back