MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
it looks like the website address has changed from

www.direct.gov.uk/taxdisc
to
www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk

I only checked a SORN so no monetary details were passed if it is incorrect.
Whilst looking at the SORN/tax reminder notice I noticed the following lurking at the bottom of the page, it is only found on PHGV i.e. over 3500kgs.
quote:-

Test Certificate
MOT certificate or if the vehicle is carrying goods/burden not needed by the user for [HI]accommodation purposes ON the vehicle, a GOODS VEHICLE TEST CERTIFICATE[/HI]

This is worrying because it means you cannot carry for instance, a bike on a rack, or in the garage, an inflatable canoe or boat in the garage, metal detector, binoculars, outside chairs and table, mobility scooter, walking sticks, dogs? cameras telescopes and any other items for leisure purposes OUTSIDE of the van.
how about games, packs of cards, are they used for accommodation purposes. The above wording has so many loopholes that anyone driving a PHGV vehicle can be prosecuted for not having the appropriate test certificate, to say nothing of those who use the vehicle to transport items to a carboot or market. License implications then start to arise as well. the haphazard way these things are drawn up without proper consultation is utterly ridiculous. Am I being silly should we be concerned, is the change in web address correct or do I have a virus, after all I "updated" my old XP yesterday to windows 8 and have had nothing but trouble ever since.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I just got the first website - though it would suggest by the address that the second is a gov website.

More confusion for the masses that we will, of course be fined for not working it out, or getting the wrong website!

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The first address is that which appears on the renewal reminder, click on that and you are transfered to another page from whence you can get to the original site but with th new name. More confusion for everyone until the new reminders are printed and sent out. Anyone with a November renewal have the form yet to check?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi roger .i have been on about this burden bit for awhile .vosa have been having discisions about it for ages . one of my mates showed me his new tax form with it on . in ireland they have a limit as to how many m,bikes or bicyckles you can carry . its mainly the m,homes with garages that cause the concern as they could be classed as living vans . many 5ers will suffer as well . living van trailers under 3.500kg dont get mot. living van self propelled come under the light mot scheme . you will find i started warning folk about 2 yrs ago . it was laughed at . but there are going to be alot more checks by vosa on this . just wait and see.
toy haulers will be possibly hit first so i,m told .
mobility scooters are ok and can be carried if used by disabled folk ideally with disabled tax disc . small m,bikes could be classed as disability aids . i have had a good discusion with vosa about this .
there hasnt been any haphazard way, these rules have been around for years just not implemented . tacho.s and cpc .s may have to be fitted or required soon as well .but not retrospective . unfortunately many dont look at the rules and regulations . then squeal when caught out .

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back