Changed the radio... why can't anything be easy?!? (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've replaced radios in my previous cars and in my previous van. So I vaguely know what I'm doing. My last van was a Ducato 2007 conversion and I put a Sony XAV-AX100 double DIN sized radio to replace the very poor Fiat standard radio. Changing the radio involved a bit of cutting and playing with the wiring, but it wasn't hard. It just involved buying the correct harness and fascia kit.

I got a new motorhome a few months ago (a 2020 Geist i585). It came from the factory with a Zenec radio that included motorhome specific satnav. You can put in the weight, width and height of your vehicle and it will provide guidance using those parameters. I believe these are fairly well regarded, but I've not been getting on with it. I'm not convinced by the routing and I don't like the interface. The Sony I put in the last van had Android Auto which meant I got really good mapping with Google Maps, and the integration with my phone was really useful. So after trying the Zenec for a few weeks, I then tried putting a tablet on the dashboard for a while to see how that worked out with a few satnav apps like Sygic Truck, RoadLords and CoPilot... but in the end I just really wanted Android Auto and Google Maps back again.

PXL_20210821_124530449.jpg

[Zenec unclipped from the dash]

I opted for a Sony XAV-AX8050D. It's another Android Auto radio, but newer. It appeared on Amazon cheap one day, so I hit buy. It's actually a single DIN sized radio, but the screen sits proud of the dashboard, and is 9" in size. I assumed that as there was already an aftermarket radio in the van, that my job would be easy... Wrong!

First bit of fun was the wiring. I correctly guessed that the Zenec would have an adaptor loom to the DIN standard. But the spaghetti that came out did confuse me for a while. I eventually worked out that there's a bunch of adaptors and wiring to go from Fiat wiring through a steering wheel radio controls adaptor, then to the Zenec specific stuff. I've left the steering wheel adaptor box in there at the moment. If anyone knows what brand it is, then maybe I can get the adaptor lead that works with Sony???...

PXL_20210821_132611323.jpg

[Spaghetti!]

PXL_20210821_141748164.MP.jpg

[Mystery steering wheel buttons adaptor... any ideas anyone?]

PXL_20210821_150542506.jpg

[Didn't take long to get the Sony powered up... on the seat]

Then the real fun began. It appears that the Zenec uses a non-standard mount. And from the plastic shavings I found in the dash, they've cut away the Fiat standard mounts to get it to fit. There's nothing for a standard DIN radio sleeve to slot into or bite on. The Zenec radio just uses 4 lugs, top and bottom, to bolt into holes in the dash. I surfed around for an hour and I couldn't see any kits that seemed to fit. I also thought about using the standard mounting sleeve and shimming it out and putting some screws through the sides, but there just isn't anything left to screw in to! At this point, I was thinking the Zenec would have to go back in...

PXL_20210822_153728694.jpg

[Zenec mounting sleeve with nice tool marks inside the dash]

But after measuring the dimensions for a bit, I thought there might be just enough gap to create a support structure out of 3d printed plastic. So I set about recreating the pressed steel Zenec sleeve in Fusion 360 CAD.

PXL_20210822_094844842.jpg

[Zenec sleeve to be reverse engineered]

Screenshot 2021-08-30 191557.png

[Fusion 360 sketch]

I designed and printed a couple of prototypes in PLA plastic, just printing one side of the frame. Even a half took 2.5 hours. As there was very little to measure against, I ended up guessing some dimensions, so it took a few attempts to get it right.

PXL_20210825_121050962.jpg

[2nd prototype. Getting close to something workable]

Once I was happy with the design, I printed the final version in PETG plastic. It's a bit harder to print with (and it really hates overhangs, see the back face!) but it's more heat resistant the PLA, so shouldn't go floppy in the summer sun.

PXL_20210827_164015774.jpg

[Printing in PETG plastic]

PXL_20210827_165821863.jpg

[Radio bolts into the sleeve]

PXL_20210828_120409560.jpg

[Test fit before the protective wrap came off]

The good thing about my 3d printed design is it holds the radio really firmly. The bad thing is that it's a pain in the bum to fit. The screws that go through the top mounting lugs can only be seen through a really narrow gap between the dashboard and the top of the radio. And you have to balance the screws in the holes, then carefully position the radio into the hole, by which point the screws are pointing uphill and the fall out into the dashboard never to be seen again. My design works, but there must be a better way of doing this.

The other bit of fun I had was the fascia that was supposed to fit my model year of van, but didn't. There were lugs and tabs that got in the way and the curve around the dashboard was totally wrong. I'm not sure if I'm completely missing something, or it was just a really bad part. Took me an hour with a Dremel and a heat gun to cut and bend it to the correct shape. And only the lower set of clips actually contacted anything, so it's stuck on with double sided acrylic goop tape. But it feels sturdy and sits flush.

So after quite a few hours, I finally got it all in. Then I realised that I'd forgotten the USB connector, so it came back out again. But it's all good now. Went for a test drive and I'm a happy camper...

If anyone is interested, the Zenec will be for sale shortly...

Attachments

• PXL_20210821_150542506.jpg
    PXL_20210821_150542506.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Steering wheel button control.

Have a look here, the number STK583 leads to this website...

Broken Link Removed
Thanks.

I agree, it probably is one of theirs. Although the number doesn't seem to match any models on their site. I've sent them a support request. We'll see how helpful they are. I don't fancy paying £80 for a new adaptor for the sake of 1 wire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It looks good and the job is done …. But would it not be better for the unit to sit at the bottom of the opening? As that is how single din/double face units usually go..?

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It looks good and the job is done …. But would it not be better for the unit to sit at the bottom of the opening? As that is how single din/double face units usually go..?
It's a single DIN body. The facia I bought has a bit of a storage slot below (although it's not deep enough for anything useful like a phone). The height of the screen is quite adjustable and I could have it much lower if I wanted so it covers the lower hole. But after playing with it for a while, I prefer it nearer my eye line.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's a fantastic piece of work - well done indeed; it looks very fresh and modern.

You'll be getting bookings at this rate :cool:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
The only bit of that which I understood,was “shouldn’t go floppy in the summer sun”. I’ve never had a problem with mine going floppy in the sun,but have found that extreme cold can affect its dimensions.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::rofl::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But,in all seriousness I greatly admire your technical skills,so well done and I hope it does the job!!(y)

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Thanks.

I agree, it probably is one of theirs. Although the number doesn't seem to match any models on their site. I've sent them a support request. We'll see how helpful they are. I don't fancy paying £80 for a new adaptor for the sake of 1 wire.
I've had a response from Connects2. They've sent me a link to a £5 patch lead. Win! Thanks pappajohn .

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Minor update...

The steering wheel controls patch lead arrived, so I could plug the existing convertor box into my new Sony radio. I thought it'd take me about 15 minutes to pull the radio back out, plug the lead in and put it back together. The instructions said I had to unplug the steering wheel controls convertor box from power for 5 minutes so it reset its configuration. Which I did, but it didn't seem to work. I tried several times over the next hour... then I realised that I was testing the radio on hab battery power. The steering wheel controls are dead unless the key is in the ignition. Switched over to cab battery and it worked straight away. Doh!

PXL_20210906_091903441.jpg

I went mountain biking at the weekend (side note: taking the motorhome so you can have a shower before you have to drive home is great!). So I got to use the new radio. The large screen gives a nice big map and clear directions to glance at. It told me to take a different route home to avoid 15 minutes congestion on the M6. But I was really enjoying my audio book, so I ignored it and did indeed sit in crawling traffic exactly where it said I would.

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
Thanks for sharing - I'm considering a similar replacement for the XZent unit that came with our van - it's just too slow, sometimes taking several seconds just to show the reversing camera.

Looks like all the things I was worried about (how to mount it, the steering wheel controls, etc) will be a challenge, but not insurmountable. I have steering wheel remote wires marked 'key1', 'key2' and 'gnd', but they I didn't find a box like yours (maybe I just didn't explore where those wires came from enough). I found some Kenwood/JVC head units that take the 3 wire connection, but it looks like the Sony expects a 3.5mm jack.

[Edit]... ah, looks like the key1, key2, gnd just wire straight to the 3.5mm jack - https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/pinout-of-3-5mm-steering-wheel-control.379018/#post-5906233 [/Edit]

cheers,

Robin

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Thanks for sharing - I'm considering a similar replacement for the XZent unit that came with our van - it's just too slow, sometimes taking several seconds just to show the reversing camera.

Looks like all the things I was worried about (how to mount it, the steering wheel controls, etc) will be a challenge, but not insurmountable. I have steering wheel remote wires marked 'key1', 'key2' and 'gnd', but they I didn't find a box like yours (maybe I just didn't explore where those wires came from enough). I found some Kenwood/JVC head units that take the 3 wire connection, but it looks like the Sony expects a 3.5mm jack.

[Edit]... ah, looks like the key1, key2, gnd just wire straight to the 3.5mm jack - https://www.diymobileaudio.com/threads/pinout-of-3-5mm-steering-wheel-control.379018/#post-5906233 [/Edit]

cheers,

Robin
It appears there's not really a common standard for steering wheel controls. The box that I found in the nest of wiring was a Connects2 box. If I'd bought it retail, it would have come with the different adaptors for Sony, Kenwood, etc. It works really well. Very responsive.

The satnav is working well. Google Maps took me around Cornwall without any problems a few weeks ago. Yesterday afternoon I drove from Birmingham to Battersea (in the evening rush hour!) and back via Kidderminster. It was emergency transport for an ill cat, the charity didn't have any alternatives, so my motorhome became an emergency kitty rescue wagon. A good satnav in London is essential! It guided me around all the road closures, warned me about the low emissions zone and the ETA was only out by about 10 minutes, even though I arrived at 6pm. 7 hours of driving was tiring!

Minor update: I pulled out the speakers and surrounding plastics from the a-class dashboard. The speakers were pretty poor, basslines just disappeared. I put in some Rockford Fossgate speakers and it's far better. I also put loads of sound deadening on the back of the plastics that extend the standard Ducato dashboard. Not only does it make them feel less scratchy and cheap when you tap on them, but it has actually made the cab a bit quieter. Win! I'm going to see if I can get the massive aircraft carrier sized dashboard off that extends to the windscreen to see if I can put more deadening behind that. That'll be a weekend project though.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You have done a grand job there.(y)

The wiring looks like they used the new lad on his first day.:giggle:
Might have been easier if you had just bought the standard Fiat dash tray.
This was the one in mine before I fitted a double din unit.
P1100520_copy_394x330.jpg

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Great job looks like a Haynes skill level 10!
Haynes had 5 spanners!
Some people have all the brains!
I'm thinking of a android tablet in my transit van above the radio as it's not a din standard radio.

Cheers James

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Great job looks like a Haynes skill level 10!
Haynes had 5 spanners!
Some people have all the brains!
I'm thinking of a android tablet in my transit van above the radio as it's not a din standard radio.

Cheers James
I tried to use a tablet for satnav duties a few years ago. The battery only lasted a few days, so I had to remember to shut it down after each use. And it took forever to boot. And the screen got washed out by sunlight too easily. There weren't many offline apps available and it was a pain to tether to my phone.

I tried again recently. I tried with a reconditioned basic Samsung tablet I've got for about £100. The battery on that lasts a couple of weeks on standby, so that's no longer an issue. The screen is really bright, so sunlight isn't an issue (although it does get bloody hot!). There are more offline apps available. And I've got a wifi hotspot in the van now, so I can use Google Maps too.

I probably could have achieved 90% of what I did with a tablet. I just needed to find a good way to mount it.

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've added the design in the resource section:

Join us or log in to post a reply.