Change to Highway Code and cyclists responsibilities (1 Viewer)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I feel almost ashamed to suggest that we Brits are less tolerant than our continental neighbours but maybe that’s due to a comparative lack of space here rather than a difference in culture?

I have found it remarkable how European motorists tend to be so well-natured towards vulnerable cyclists compared to that experienced over here. Perhaps they find more important things to get wound up about?

I don't think that space is the issue (space per capita rather than overtaking space).

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I feel almost ashamed to suggest that we Brits are less tolerant than our continental neighbours but maybe that’s due to a comparative lack of space here rather than a difference in culture?

I have found it remarkable how European motorists tend to be so well-natured towards vulnerable cyclists compared to that experienced over here. Perhaps they find more important things to get wound up about?
Holland is as crowded as England but they do have a fantastic network of cycle tracks.☺️. BUSBY.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Holland is as crowded as England but they do have a fantastic network of cycle tracks.☺️. BUSBY.
Yeah, but not many go up the hills and mountains of Holland.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Please don't take offence at my post. I was not having a pop.
I am a cyclist/ motorist/ campervanner and ex motorcyclist and was not taking sides, just pointing out that for a group of cyclists, and I'm thinking of a cycling club run or similar, leaving gaps just encourages poor overtakes.

As it stands the UK infrastructure just isn't there for cyclists, as can be seen from numerous posts. Shared routes (paths shared between pedestrians and cyclists) don't work particularly well for 'sports' cyclists, who like to put in a bit of speed. Sports cyclists, more than other leisure cyclists and even commuters, tend to be forced onto the roads to avoid walkers and dogs, neither of whom appreciate a lycra-clad person hurtling past, very close to them, at 20-25mph. Similarly I don't appreciate dogs on long leads/ off leads and walkers who can't grasp the concept of walking on the same side as the oncoming traffic (cyclists) , which is the safest side to walk along. Neither do I like motorised vehicles hurtling past me very close to me when I'm either walking or cycling.
There is no answer other than dedicated, two-way cycle lanes across the whole country. This will never happen.
I did say the thread would run forever, there is no solution, but you hit the nail on the head.......The 'spirit of the code' is road safety, not getting from A to B as quickly as is possible.
I also am all those ex's and agree with your points re slower users beimpng passed at what seems high speeds. Perhaps if cyclist left more space between for safer overtakes then it might help. Any other group would be expected to do just that, lorry drivers in convoy would be frowned upon as would be bikers and cars in a similar group. Club runs are supposed to be an enjoyable day out not a race to the tea room for any group

I wasnt taking offence at you personally. It just seems that cyclist want everything designed around them and every other road user should bow to their needs.

We are all road users and the majority do operate within the spirit its just a selfish few methinks

Anyway, Ive had my say I'm out of here now

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
True (and interesting).
I think the comparison of population/sqm may not be the best measure as we have large areas that are not conducive to cyclists (hilly).
There's certainly a big difference regarding cycling facilities in Holland. If we wanted to improve our cycle network, it might need to be at the expense of some road space...

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
True (and interesting).
I think the comparison of population/sqm may not be the best measure as we have large areas that are not conducive to cyclists (hilly).
There's certainly a big difference regarding cycling facilities in Holland. If we wanted to improve our cycle network, it might need to be at the expense of some road space...

Many hilly areas are fine for cyclists. I'm not sure that many more areas need to be dedicated to cyclists but I'm sure that cars and lorries need to be more aware of cyclists and give more space, even if it holds them up for a few minutes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 141
Exp
Had one 15 years ago, Globestar for last 3 years and now an A Class
I find it a bit ironic that so many motorhomers are angry at cyclists for holding up traffic when here in the Highlands the motorhomer is probably hated more than the cyclists! I also would have expected more understanding/support of cyclists from motorhomers, as both groups suffer from abuse by car drivers.

The problem with designated cycle paths is that there is no standard for them, some are wide and smooth tarmac others are overgrown rough and covered in debris. Even with the potholes etc. roads are built to a set standard generally so you know what you are going to get if it's an A or B road or country lane. If you plan a long journey based on cycle paths you will almost certainly have a significant amount of bad surfaces (potential punctures) and wish you had planned to use the road.

We need to recognise that there are different types of cyclists:
The leisure cyclist on the way to work, shopping or sightseeing etc. and are riding a bike with flat handlebars and fat tyres (over 35mm wide) and travelling at less than 10mph average and perhaps only going a few miles. They may also be infrequent cyclists. Cycle paths are ideal for them.
The "sport/fitness/athlete" cyclist who have drop handlebars, lightweight narrow tyres (that puncture easily but roll fast) going at 14-20mph average and perhaps riding 30-100 miles. These have no desire to be on a cycle path due to the bad surface and it would probably be dangerous for them to be on a cycle path with slower cyclists and walkers (especially those with a dog). Many will do more miles a year on their bike than in their car and be savvy road users that understand the risks and how to mitigate them. One way is to ride far enough out in the road to discourage a car from trying to "squeeze" past when there is not really enough room for 2 cars and a bike.

Remember when you are throwing stones around in your glass house that it's much easier for a car to overtake a bike than a motorhome on a narrow road, so car drivers are more likely to be upset by motorhomes than bikes on the road.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Jeremy Vine a well known cyclist has caused some controversy;

A video of cyclists riding four abreast filmed by broadcaster Jeremy Vine has sparked an angry reaction on social media.

Some of the 6,300 comments on the footage accused the cyclists of “self-entitlement” and “blocking the road”.

Vine, himself a cyclist, filmed the scenario while a passenger in a car behind the group.

As the car slowly approaches the cyclists, he says: “Sunday morning in the country. Absolutely no problem with this at all. This is exactly how cyclists should ride. They’re calming the traffic behind them.”

But commenting on the video on Twitter, former England rugby union captain Will Carling wrote: “I am a cyclist. Simple rule – we are smaller than cars – so be polite, ride single file when holding up cars.”

Ex-London mayoral candidate Laurence Fox wrote that “Mamils” – an acronym for middle-aged men in lycra – should give the same respect to horse riders that they received from the car driver.

He added that he was thrown off a horse in West Sussex after “a bunch Tour de France wannabes zoomed out of the shadows”.

Talk Radio presenter Cristo Foufas commented: “You’re just trolling us now!”

A person with the username @Tryptych070426 posted a reply to Vine which stated: “One doesn’t have to be a bad driver to be offended by your lack of consideration for motorists and the ugly sense of self entitlement it reveals.”

Another Twitter user going by name @cafkin wrote: “Blocking the road will make people take bigger risks and lead to worse accidents.”

But the account for the Roads Police Unit of Surrey Police posted: “No driver should need to get angry in those circumstances. Anyone can pass very easily and safely.

“Drivers and riders have to take each section of road as they find it and adjust accordingly; being safe and courteous.”

Jeremy Vine

Vine is a well known cyclist

Roger Geffen, policy director at charity Cycling UK, told the PA newsy agency it is a “frequent misconception” that “bunching up is inconsiderate behaviour”, insisting it “makes the group far safer and easier to overtake than a longer thinned out group”.

He added: “It is not much more different to when overtaking a car on a single carriageway or a HGV – the less time spent passing the vehicle, or group of cyclists, the safer, easier and faster it is for everyone.”

The Highway Code states that cyclists “should never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends”.

This is advice rather than a legal requirement.

The Department for Transport announced last month that the Code is being updated to include a hierarchy of road users so those who “can do the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger they may pose to others”.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back