Change timing belt? (1 Viewer)

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Had mine done a couple of weeks ago on a 2013 Ducato. Full kit, belt pump pulleys £390 independant garage. Thought id get it done ready for the off whenever that will be..???

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
My 2012 Peugeot Boxer 130bhp 2.3 engine has a timing chain. I had understood that, whilst a Peugeot, it is actually a Fiat engine. So now I'm confused. :rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My 2012 Peugeot Boxer 130bhp 2.3 engine has a timing chain. I had understood that, whilst a Peugeot, it is actually a Fiat engine. So now I'm confused. :rolleyes:
Both part of the Sevel group and share body and mechanical parts but not necessarily in the same combinations. Bodies are built in the same factory.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
You could say it's a Fiat with a Peugeot (or Ford) engine. Or is my Ducato a Peugeot with a Fiat engine.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Anyone dithering a cam belt change because of price would do well to consider the cost of replacement is circa 10% of the cost of repairs due to failure.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Shouldn't that be the 2.2 HDI Ford Transit lump in the Peugeot?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
AFAIK every 2.3l engine fitted in a motorhome coming out of the Sevel factory has a cam belt. As other have said, are you sure you do not have the 2.2l Ford engine

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
You say 2.3, are you sure it’s not 2.2 and the PSA/Ford engine?
You're quite right; it's only 2.2 litre.
It does have a a timing chain though, not a belt.
I cut and paste some details from another site who's name I will not mention writing in 2011:

"The new Boxer is powered by three new latest-generation HDi common rail diesel engines that all conform to the Euro 4 emission standards. The engines are also fitted with an electronic onboard diagnosis (EOBD) system to monitor exhaust emissions:
A 2.2 litre HDi diesel engine derived from the co-operation between PSA Peugeot Citroen and Ford is available in two versions: 100 bhp and 120 bhp. A 3.0 litre HDi SOFIM diesel engine with a power of 157 bhp.

2.2 LITRE HDI DIESEL ENGINE
This new 4-cylinder HDi common rail diesel engine has been specially designed for commercial vehicles. Its capacity is 2198 cm³, obtained by a bore of 86 mm and a stroke of 94.6 mm.
This engine is equipped with a cast-iron engine block, a 16-valve aluminium cylinder head and two overhead camshafts. The camshafts are chain driven and a fixed geometry type turbocharger is used. By using the latest-generation common rail direct injection system, with an increased injection pressure of 1600 bars, the system reduces both noise and emissions.
The system ensures that there is always high pressure fuel available for each injection phase during the combustion cycle. The operating principle involves the use of electromagnetic injectors, controlled individually, which enables a finer fuel spray to be injected into the combustion chamber. The gains in terms of complete combustion and energy efficiency provided by this process, results in reduced emissions, fuel savings and a higher engine torque output. A high-capacity exhaust gas recirculation system, controlled electronically (e-EGR), lowers the combustion temperature and helps to reduce emissions of nitrogen oxide and 'black smoke' by around a half. This 'intelligent' electronic system monitors the flow of air and corrects it automatically in the event of an EGR unbalance, or if a valve is jammed. It continually adapts to the engine's operating conditions and is water cooled.The 100 bhp version is combined with a 5-speed manual gearbox and has a maximum torque of 185 lb ft at 1500 rpm. "
??

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
The new (2017 160bhp) Peugeot engine is 10yrs for a cambelt change.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I had mine changed about 2 months before I went to France , It went on my second day in France and it cost me over 8 grand just call me lucky
Had the same 8300euros said we will pay now no they said pay when done exchange rate at the time was about 150 to the pound 7 weeks later about 120

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Wow - you'd be brave to try that!
Cambelts are the work of Satan. I believe they were put on solely for the purpose of giving Stealers a bit of bunce - bit like hab checks or supplying new vans with two year ALDE fluid instead of five year!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Cambelts are the work of Satan. I believe they were put on solely for the purpose of giving Stealers a bit of bunce - bit like hab checks or supplying new vans with two year ALDE fluid instead of five year!
The main problem with some motor homes is getting access to do the job.
OK on standard cabs but some coach built ones there is little consideration for doing maintenance
Timing chains can be just as problematic
Some BMW's have had big issues and its an engine out job to repair even if its not got to the point of failure

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Many timing belts drive other items such as water pumps and HP diesel pumps. If these items fail then the cambelt and valves can go with them. Often frayed auxiliary belts get caught in timing belts which also causes teeth slippage and engine failure. So if the belt isn't changed all these other parts need to have the same service life. Cam chains tend to only drive the cams so have to fail or be excessively stretched prior to catastrophic failure. Most engines will go into limp mode due to chain stretch long before chain breakage and catastrophy happen.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
up to you 300 or 8k when your head is knackered i would just have it done pice of mind
bill
Thats cos you change cam belts faster than your underpants :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
We mechanical types dont have to feel the pain do we :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back