Change of Travel Plans (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
We had a complete itinerary and route for the next 2 years traveling around Europe and eventually down Africa to South Africa.
This has all been scuppered with the lockdowns of countries happening at the moment.
We were meant to currently be touring in Ireland and ive been putting if off waiting to see the developments but it seems as though they have a 6 week lock down in place at the moment.
I started looking at perhaps travelling to Scotland and spending the 6 weeks travelling around the highlands before crossing into Ireland from Scotland after the lock down but the North seems to be getting hit pretty bad and im sure its not going to be long before Scotland also have a lockdown.
Im starting to now look at Southern Europe either Sicily or South Spain in the hope that the heat will keep Covid at bay through the winter then return north to complete Scotland and Ireland in Spring next year.

Anyone heading to the South Europe for the winter would really like to hear your thoughts and Ideas.

TIA.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
There is talk of lockdowns between areas in Spain, so moving around down there would be off too. This crap is worldwide, so international travel right now is pretty difficult

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Apparently president macron is addressing the nation later today with stringent new lockdown
Regulations, so basically watch this space, nowhere is going to be easy to travel around until next year,
Good luck with your travels when you do get away,

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Apparently president macron is addressing the nation later today with stringent new lockdown
Regulations, so basically watch this space, nowhere is going to be easy to travel around until next year,
Good luck with your travels when you do get away,
We've been on the road so to speak since mid Oct, but been sticking local to where I lived as familiar territory until we made the decision where to go. Im adamant that I would like to have either crossed in to France or Scotland by this Friday. Im scared that we will just sit put and not move anywhere and be in the same place a year from now. Im happy to sit in the south of Spain or Italy for a few months until this gets better hopefully, If this is going to be the new norm I may need to cross into Africa and start that leg.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Good luck on your travels wherever you decide Iā€™ve been following your project and well done you on getting it on the road
Being flippant but would a couple of Red Crosses on the side workšŸ¤£

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Good luck trying to cross into Africa at the moment - as far as I can see the only even viable route would be via Morocco - and they are TOTALLY shut down, not letting anyone in or allowing movement. In fact I believe there are STILL Funsters there who haven't been able to move since March!

We recently "did" Ireland despite there being restrictions but as long as we obeyed the rules we encountered no problems. That said most places, including the pubs which was supposed to be a feature of our visit (for the craic!), were closed, the only ones still open serving meals were bland and unattractive despite the welcome.

Scotland still seems to be okay. Might get a bit chilly, I see snow being forecast (again!).

As for Spain as long as you are prepared to stay put in one place for a period the general opinion seems to be you should be okay but of course who knows what tomorrow will bring?

We're currently not ruling out heading south in January but are prepared to forget it this season if everything goes pear-shaped again Covid-wise, which is looking increasingly likely.

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Ok so France will lock down from Friday, Does this mean it will be completely locked down or will you be able to transit through, For example if I wanted to go to Italy that is not locked down?

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Campsites closed in Italy, stellplatz closed Germany. May be possible to get down to South East Europe by heading East via Czech & Slovakia??? You have the right vehicle. Give my regards to Saffa when you get there.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Im in south italy at present crossing over to greece tomorrow....greece has very low figures so seems the safest place to be .... hopefully that continues over winter and things improve before i want to start heading homeward next january ....

Germany austria and italy were all fine as ive travelled through
I didnt hang around in france or belgium

I'd say if you're going then go now before you can't

Just choose wisely where you go

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam, keep your eye on this. May help you decide where to go.

Yeah ive seen that ...i plan to head south down the west coast and wont be up near Thessaloniki until im heading back north so hopefully things will have improved by then

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
As a fulltimer its not pleasant spending a cold winter in a van. If you are locked down try and do it where its warmer but you might have left it a bit late now.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Ok so France will lock down from Friday, Does this mean it will be completely locked down or will you be able to transit through, For example if I wanted to go to Italy that is not locked down?
You may transit France to go home only . French are not allowed to go to their holiday homes and we may not travel further than 1 km from home except for the same reasons as previously and travel between regions is also banned .

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So surely even bigger reason NOT to go there!!! if not already there !!!!
Only in the eyes of a crazy person

Greece isn't locked down , greece still welcoming responsable visitors, no ban on travel in to greece , incredibly low infection rates , warmer , sunnier and more remote than UK

Why on earth would there be a reason not to go there?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back