Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Two Years +
I have a Ford 2.2 Diesel transit motor Home,Manufactured in 2000.
It has a 5 speed G/box and could do with a 6th. Gear.
Is there a 6 Gearbox that will fit?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You need to do a lot more research, you could finish up with a 6 speed box and a worse final drive ratio than you already have:Doh:

Non technical solution

If sourcing second hand the best tip I can give you is Mini buses usualy have the longest legs in their gearboxes, Built for cruising:thumb:

Flat back tipper types have the shortest, Built for pulling carrying power:thumb:
In the motor home world it seems you take pot luck what your chassis was going to be, before it was pulled off the line to be sold to a converter:Doh:
Geo
There is a simple solution to this on a ducato, it is a 5th gear upgrade, we do quite a few, but not on a transit as yet

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Think you are barking on the wrong tree.

I've a 2L 125 2005 Transit and my 5th gear is absolultey fine. In fact I prefer this combo than the 6 speed 2.2L MK7 versions and I've driven all variants.

You may actually have a lower diff ratio which, for vans, can vary depending on expected usage. This can make a huge difference. I think the above post is wrong (though no money placed on this! The final diff is different rather than the gear box)

Look at fordtransit.org and ask there - some very vanned up experts and they have access to the ford system which tells you what final drive diff you have. This, I guess, would be a much easier swap than a gearbox - as IIRC the gearbox only became 6 speed on MK7 versions and thus loads of differences over yoiur van.

Hope this is useful (even if incorrect!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
"If sourcing second hand the best tip I can give you is Mini buses usualy have the longest legs in their gearboxes, Built for cruising:thumb:"

This is not always the case, council run minibuses often have the lowest gearing available as they mainly do short start stop journeys picking up and dropping off at multiple stops. Our old Freight Rover home converted was just such an example having been a Walsall council owned disabled transport minibus, even in fifth gear 56MPH was near to 4000 RPM! Bloody thing used to drink petrol like a Yankie RV:RollEyes:!

D.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I would be looking at a diff change before ANYTHING else. The question you really have to ask yourself is would a different ratio diff or 6th gear be pullable by a 2.2 litre engine, or would you find yourself constantly changing down to 5th given the very slightest of inclines, thereby totally defeating the object.

See........there's a whole lot more to this once you start digging.....

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well there you have it Bob, go get your self a new diff just make sure its not from a mini bus:winky:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
altering the final drive(diff) ratio will also alter all the gear ratio's.

gear it up and first may be, theoretically, too high for hill starts without loads of clutch slipping.
gear it down and first may become nothing but a crawler gear and pretty much useless in normal use,

OP
OP
B

Bobclayden

Free Member
Jan 10, 2011
Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Two Years +
thanks for all your advice.

it would seem that a Diff. change could help.
But I think I will stick with what I have as it is not a Major problem.
Thank you all again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back