Change Engine Oil........ (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Apparently, if you start the engine before tthe lights on the dash have cycled and gone out it can trigger a warning light. Best to let all the start up sequences go through their stuff.
It can trigger far worse so my dealer informed me. Even scramble the ECU's mmarbles.
If you inadvertently stall the engine it appears to take days for the lights to come on & then go out. :giggle:

oil was changed on mine when I bought it july 2019. I cahnge it & filters in ovember then again last week.
20k kms Think I've done?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Engine Swarf ?...
maybe years ago. Modern Engine build tolerances do not permit engine Swarf now.
Fully synthetic oil does not degrade like mineral oil used too.
I would not change the oil at this point in time. Minimum of 6000 miles or 36mnths

Clemmo ( Automotive Engineer)
Oh no another ex spert
You dare to challenge physics.?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
I would change it anyway after 12 months. It could be the oil degradation counter triggering the warning from too many journeys where active rather than passive dpf regenerations are taking place. Active regens are bad news and best avoided because they force fuel into the engine to heat up the dpf and it can get past the rings, and then dilute the oil.

I try and run the engine for a minimum of 20 minutes at 2000 + rpm every 1000 miles or so to force passive regeneration. 5th gear on a motorway will do it. If you have to reduce rpm during the 20 minutes I would also start the process again. The only way to be sure the process has worked would be to interrogate the engine ECU with Gendan software.

All a bit of a pain but that the problem with Euro 6 engines now.

Marmite

Free Member
Jun 14, 2020
SW Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T 6757
Exp
My chief engineer once explained that an ex is a has been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure. 😀

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
If you have checked the oil level as per message and it is ok the it is almost certainly an electrical fault. Possibly the oil level sensor! I had the yellow generic light appear on my Ducati. Oil level sensor. Software update. Still there. The sensor is about £40.00 but it in not accessible without dropping the engine subframe!!!! The Fiat lot did not want to do this. A call to Customer services in Milan an they agreed to do the work without charge although by this time the 2 year warranty had expired. IVECO at Hildenborough undertook thé work they have high workshops with big lifts which you need for this job
Sounds like the sensor may be at fault. Make sure they put it on their diagnostic system to check this out, don’t be fobbed off or it could cost over a grand. To change the oil at this mileage will only benefit the coffers of the Oil Companies and your Peugeot Dealer.

OP
OP
AndyPK

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
If you have checked the oil level as per message and it is ok the it is almost certainly an electrical fault. Possibly the oil level sensor! I had the yellow generic light appear on my Ducati. Oil level sensor. Software update. Still there. The sensor is about £40.00 but it in not accessible without dropping the engine subframe!!!! The Fiat lot did not want to do this. A call to Customer services in Milan an they agreed to do the work without charge although by this time the 2 year warranty had expired. IVECO at Hildenborough undertook thé work they have high workshops with big lifts which you need for this job
Sounds like the sensor may be at fault. Make sure they put it on their diagnostic system to check this out, don’t be fobbed off or it could cost over a grand. To change the oil at this mileage will only benefit the coffers of the Oil Companies and your Peugeot Dealer.
Oil level ok, and the ‘oil can’ light does not stay on after engine starts, so it’s just the ‘change engine oil’ that cycles twice, and then goes off. I’ll try the accelerator/brake pedal fix today and see if that helps........🤞

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
oil should be changed every year minimum regardless of mileage as should oil filter. £50-60 and 20 minutes for peace of mind

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Seems we gone off track a bit...OP did not say "check oil "warning light is on but his "change oil " warning light is on..

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Ive got the same on my Ducato change oil warning and flashing red oil can . It comes on a time period two year cycle.
The reason I ask is I have just change oil on my Fiat Panda and the change oil lights has come on.. Probably not same setup but who knows????
When you say time period do you mean it will go off on its own eventually.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Ours is older ,fiat 3 litre 2012. In the brain there are 2 oil "alarms".
One is oil change, the other is service reset. For us both need to be reset by a computer, not possible without.
You can use the mode button and dot matrix screen to see how many miles left for these alarms.
Of course may not be the same on later models.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Current vans have an oil degradation counter in software. There is no fixed service interval for oil changes, only maximum intervals based on time, mileage or the "Change engine oil" message being displayed. It is certainly explained in the handbook supplied with new Ducatos.

There have been instances of a fault y sensor causing the oil change message to appear too early, but as the 2 year change interval is an absolute maximum and no longer a fixed interval, and as the engine manufacture also recommends annual oil changes for vehicles that travel less than 7,500 miles per year, plus an oil change prior to running any vehicle that has not been driven for more than 3 months, it's not worth ignoring an oil change in my opinion.

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Current vans have an oil degradation counter in software. There is no fixed service interval for oil changes, only maximum intervals based on time, mileage or the "Change engine oil" message being displayed. It is certainly explained in the handbook supplied with new Ducatos.

There have been instances of a fault y sensor causing the oil change message to appear too early, but as the 2 year change interval is an absolute maximum and no longer a fixed interval, and as the engine manufacture also recommends annual oil changes for vehicles that travel less than 7,500 miles per year, plus an oil change prior to running any vehicle that has not been driven for more than 3 months, it's not worth ignoring an oil change in my opinion.
You'll be an egg spurt now😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back