Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
Motorhome (Elddis Encore 285) is 10 months old, with 3,800 miles registered. Flashing message came up on Peugeot display this week advising me to change the engine oil, accompanied by a flashing red oil can symbol. Panic! So I checked oil, which was at the right level and looked as I would have expected it to be after that mileage. I called my usual Peugeot dealer (Struans Perth) but they said bring it in. No faults registered in the ECU. However, quick look on internet revealed that this is a not uncommon problem with new motorhomes. So I followed the recommended course of action - hold down accelerator and brake simultaneously and switch on ignition. Leave for 30 seconds. Then release pedals, switch off ignition, and when engine restarted "fault" had disappeared. It's going in for it's first service soon, so not too worried.

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Might be the system is set for annual service irrespective of mileage. Although van is only 10 months old from registration might well be older and system set from when initial startup. IE after build , shipping and pre delivery so wouldn't worry about it

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why is it going in for a service so soon? If its on a Fiat it's 2 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Not necessarily a fault as such. The ECU calculates the likely condition of the engine oil based on parameters from various sensors based on driving conditions. Although the manufacturers like to parade the headline 2 year oil change intervals or similar, you will probably find some small print in your manual explaining that oil change intervals are based on driving conditions, not simply time or distance, and notified in the way you describe.

It could be a faulty sensor, but it could also be a symptom of driving a lot of short distances, prolonged idling, and other conditions which the algorithm determines are bad for the condition of the oil.

Fiat like to advertise the 2 year oil changes for instance, which are generally fine if you are doing 20,000 miles or so a year. What they hide in the small print though is that the oil sensors could determine that the oil should be changed in as little as 3,500km (2000 or so miles) in severe conditions.

What you have done is reset the oil counter software without investigating the cause.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Just to add, I have a copy of the 2016 MY Boxer owners manual, where the system is described on pages 25 and 35.

"Engine oil warning light flashing, with a message shown on screen:

A high level of deterioration of the engine oil.

Have the engine oil changed as soon as possible. After the second level of alert, engine performance will be limited. Your vehicle's programmed service schedule is not altered."

Jul 25, 2017
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Since2012
Not sure on Fiat systems but on VWAudi you can see the system settings by searching in display settings. You can modify them from the 2 year to 1 year or set the mileage between changes. I would ask when serviced what the setting default is on your van, may need a dedicated software pc to do this that the device guys will have.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Doesn't matter what the service interval is set at. Flashing oil warning lamp together with a "change engine oil" message on a current generation Sevel van means that the oil degradation counter has determined the oil is likely degraded to the extent that it can no longer adequately protect the engine. This is a completely separate system to the service interval reset.

It may be due to a fault sensor supplying erroneous information to the ECU, but it might also be right. Fiat say that the system may require an oil change in as little as 3,500kms in severe operating conditions despite publishing 2 year service intervals. Much of this is explained in the owners handbooks which for some reason I have never been able to fathom, it appears that people don't read :confused:

Motorhomes being driven a few times a month and then sitting idle for weeks or months on end, particularly over the winter when water can condense into the oil, fall within the heavy duty operating cycle defined by many manufacturers, including Fiat and Iveco.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I also think this is related to when the engine was first started 2 years ago and not just the 10 months since you picked it up. It can take some converters a year or more from delivery to doing the conversion. Then how long was it at the dealers or held in stock at a compound awaiting delivery to the dealers

I always think the dropping of a 12month first oil flush is madness and not good for the long term prospects of the engine. Get the oil changed at first service

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Don'tcha just love technology telling you something that (should be) common sense?

OP
OP
Korgrocker

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
I agree that the oil should be changed after the first year, regardless of the mileage. In my case, it's a Peugeot and hasn't been used for short trips so the most likely cause is, as suggested, there's been a long delay since it left the factory and the dealer didn't do the reset at the PDI. Anyway, it's going in for an oil change in a few weeks time.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I’m another in the change oil I have always changed the oil annually on all of my vans, I know there are those that would say stick to service manual, however I was talking to an owner of a fleet of vans and he told me that the Ducato engines were good as long as you changed the oil regularly,I followed his advice and not had an issues there is obviously the expense but I can afford it and it could save more expense in repairs later.(y)(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back