Billyshotts

Free Member
Sep 10, 2017
Forth, lanark
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
hi,have got email cornfirming my class ,can I drive in france without the sticker as not got it in the post yet thanks

OP
OP
Billyshotts

Billyshotts

Free Member
Sep 10, 2017
Forth, lanark
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thanks,do I just use a copy of the email showing the class

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes.

We printed off our acknowledgment and will carry it with use.

You can also cut out and display the disc on the e-mail pending arrival of the “pukka” one.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
This whole Critair thing is full of sound and fury but actually signifies very little.

You don't need it at all for driving in France..... Unless intending to go right into the city centre zone of those few cities that have the scheme, at times when that city Council has activated entry control thus only allowing vehicles with sticker of "x" level or cleaner to enter at that time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This whole Critair thing is full of sound and fury but actually signifies very little.

You don't need it at all for driving in France..... Unless intending to go right into the city centre zone of those few cities that have the scheme, at times when that city Council has activated entry control thus only allowing vehicles with sticker of "x" level or cleaner to enter at that time.
A bit more than just a few cities now.

upload_2018-2-19_9-38-5.png

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I find it strange that everyone is buying them. I've checked the official website and personally I can't see a reason to get one unless you regularly travel into city centres at rush hour. For them to be required the pollution needs to reach a critical level. Even then its only for a short duration of around a couple of hours. Other areas, as on Lenny's map above, give a warning of a couple of days that restrictions will apply.

I went on the official site and tracked back a year or so - I didn't find one single time when restrictions were applicable. Frankly, judging by the amount of traffic on French roads I just can't see that pollution is a problem there.

I think the French authorities must be laughing all the way to the bank. I know its less than 5 euros but multiply that by the numbers of folk buying them it racks up to a substantial amount.

I'm happy to buy one but I just don't see the need for it. Of course if anyone can tell me differently I'd be happy to listen.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I got diverted last year just outside Grenoble and then took a wrong turning found myself within the LEZ of the city , thankfully I had the Crit-air sticker

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I got diverted last year just outside Grenoble and then took a wrong turning found myself within the LEZ of the city , thankfully I had the Crit-air sticker

But you'd only have needed it if there were critical pollution levels - eg during certain weather conditions and pollution during rush hour. You don't need one just to enter the city.

OP
OP
Billyshotts

Billyshotts

Free Member
Sep 10, 2017
Forth, lanark
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thanks for all the information ,this is a great site for help ,glad I joined ,,hopefully see some of you in france

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
But you'd only have needed it if there were critical pollution levels - eg during certain weather conditions and pollution during rush hour. You don't need one just to enter the city.
but that could have been the case , either way for a few euros I'd rather play safe

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
For those who say if you don't drive in cities you don't need it BUT now those zones are increasing almost daily
Today if you have a Crit'air 5 or 0 you can not drive in Paris Zone

It changes so often now you need the phone APP Green Zones eu to keep up

AND at 4€50 including postage it does save you the risk of getting a fine for being in the wrong place by Accident check the map @Lenny HB has posted that increased by 6 zones on January 1st AND some include Autoroutes

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Also remember once you have submitted your V5 they have your registration and weight so toll dodging could be out and speed restrictons will apply.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Also remember once you have submitted your V5 they have your registration and weight so toll dodging could be out and speed restrictons will apply.

Nothing to do with tolls - although there is no saying it may be used later but toll roads are private companies

it is for access only though interesting today that Paris is the only city with restrictions and at present it's only basically for HGV's

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Nothing to do with tolls - although there is no saying it may be used later but toll roads are private companies

it is for access only though interesting today that Paris is the only city with restrictions and at present it's only basically for HGV's
I know that but the gendarmes might have excess to the Crit-Air database they were pulling motorhomes just through the toll last year and bonnet were up.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I know that but the gendarmes might have excess to the Crit-Air database they were pulling motorhomes just through the toll last year and bonnet were up.
They have all got access to our details through DVLA on hand held devices anyway. Many are being pulled in Spain right now for lack of tax, ins, mot's. Watch N332.es website for up to the minute news about it.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years

But the Critair control wasn't active.
This is part of people's misconceptions.
You see a map of France and it's peppered with Critair areas.
That DOES NOT mean that Critair control may ever apply in that zone, and even if it was for a short term temporary period of some days, it some sprcific hours in some days, it may not apply to your vehicles Critair colour badge.

Any one who visits France regularly, including the "Critair possible" areas, will be able to attest to the extreme rarity of such badges on any vehicles owned by the locals there.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I'm beginning to wonder if its a money making ruse.

I saw a number of websites selling the CritAir stickers warning of 'BIG FINES!' for not having one. The fact that they may only be needed for an hour or so once in a blue moon seems to have been omitted from the warnings of dire consequences. I trawled back on the official site to see if there were any times/days when the restrictions had been implemented - I didn't find a single one in any of the areas or cities I searched.

Knowing how deserted the French roads are I just can't see how the pollution levels are ever going to peak to dangerous levels.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
These crit air stickers appear to be similar to the alcohol test kits that were brought in several years ago, very few French bought the alcohol test kits but the Brits were buying them by the box full, in fact the AA and RAC still say you must have them although they have been withdrawn in France

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Paris today has highest pollution level in operation.

If you see any sites charging for the provision of Crit Air certificates don’t use them. The French Government site makes no charge for supplying or admin, just the charge for the certificate. About 4 - 5 euros.

You may never need it but I regard it as a safeguard. If we decide to visit any part of France we don’t need to worry. It’s a bit like carrying a spare wheel in case of a puncture, but cheaper.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
That's interesting.

Where did you get the info regarding the pollution levels in Paris? According to the Paris Zone ZPA there are no alerts today - all badges allowed.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The news-sheet app. “the Local” , French edition, was warning of the pollution levels in central Paris today reaching the highest levels.

I should have realised that headlines don’t necessarily give the whole story. On reading the whole article pollution levels are reaching “dangerous” levels and motorists are being advised to avoid unnecessary journeys.

Crit air restrictions are not in force.

Apologies. Another scare story.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I don't have an issue with buying one, the cost is so small and even if it is, as some suggest, a money making scheme, I don't really care. I have one simply because I don't plan extensively where I am going and if I should enter into a zone where I would need one then I have it. If I never enter a zone where I need one what have I lost, about £5, I won't loose any sleep over that.

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
I don't have an issue with buying one, the cost is so small and even if it is, as some suggest, a money making scheme, I don't really care. I have one simply because I don't plan extensively where I am going and if I should enter into a zone where I would need one then I have it. If I never enter a zone where I need one what have I lost, about £5, I won't loose any sleep over that.
Ditto

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
But the Critair control wasn't active.
This is part of people's misconceptions.
You see a map of France and it's peppered with Critair areas.
That DOES NOT mean that Critair control may ever apply in that zone, and even if it was for a short term temporary period of some days, it some sprcific hours in some days, it may not apply to your vehicles Critair colour badge.

Any one who visits France regularly, including the "Critair possible" areas, will be able to attest to the extreme rarity of such badges on any vehicles owned by the locals there.
Perhaps not but either way the LEZ signs are in the city centre of Grenoble and I found myself right in the middle after getting lost on the hottest day in July when pollution levels would probably have been at there highest

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Likewise I have my 4x4 stickered up as we sometimes take our caravan to France instead of the Motorhome and would probably drive into large towns / Cities which may have LEZ,s

May 28, 2016
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
since 2000
hi fast turn round applied sunday email back monday morning with the paper copy of the cert thought that was fast for a government department would it be that fast in this country

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Given the amount I spent on buying the motorhome and spend very time I fill it with Diesel, I was willing to invest the additional £4.36 it cost for the peace of mind it brings. I am sorry if such wanton extravagance shocks some of you to the core. :D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back