Free Member
Mar 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
Since 2014
Hi

I had a "mixed" experience with ceramic on my 2007 Adria with gelcoat. As it was in quite bad contition regarding oxidation I though polish and ceramic would make it less yellow. However the gloss of ceramic made it even more yellow compared to metal cabin than it was before.
As said, the feelings were mixed: it's gloosy and shiny like new, but more yellow than before.

Anyone else with similar experience?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Hi

I had a "mixed" experience with ceramic on my 2007 Adria with gelcoat. As it was in quite bad contition regarding oxidation I though polish and ceramic would make it less yellow. However the gloss of ceramic made it even more yellow compared to metal cabin than it was before.
As said, the feelings were mixed: it's gloosy and shiny like new, but more yellow than before.

Anyone else with similar experience?
Unfortunately it sounds like the polishing exposed the discolouration and the ceramic sealed it in. I recall from my boating days that once a gelcoat discoloured polishing did little to help, it needed a full restorative treatment to get it back to the original condition. I think that would be the time to have a ceramic coat applied.

If you had this done professionally I would go back to them and complain that they had not prepared the surface properly.

Wugibugi

Free Member
Mar 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
Since 2014
Unfortunately it sounds like the polishing exposed the discolouration and the ceramic sealed it in. I recall from my boating days that once a gelcoat discoloured polishing did little to help, it needed a full restorative treatment to get it back to the original condition. I think that would be the time to have a ceramic coat applied.

If you had this done professionally I would go back to them and complain that they had not prepared the surface properly.

It was done professionally, but I guess it is too late now. The paradox is that gelcoat was faded, sure, but not as discoloured as now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016

It was done professionally, but I guess it is too late now. The paradox is that gelcoat was faded, sure, but not as discoloured as now.

Can I point you back to my previous post which may explain what is happening

From experience, protective coatings on gelcoat surfaces make washing easier (provided you use the right products when washing) but do not seem to offer the UV protection of a high end wax.

You pay your money and make your choice. Some of my old marine customers would spend a fortune on protective coatings to prevent damage from bird mess, but have to accept that the gelcoat on their boats would yellow very quickly from UV damage when compared to boats that had been waxed.

For my money, I use high UV protection marine wax on GRP and favour GTechniq C1 for paint products where a clear coat is already offering UV protection.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back