Cello traveller keeps turning itself on. (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Since connecting a humax freesat recorder by HDMI cable our tv keeps turning itself on, my only thought is that the humax is in standby mode which somehow is sending a signal via HDMI?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have an Icecrypt sat box connected to my 22" Traveller not noticed any problems but but I have fitted a master switch which turns the TV, sat box, and sat off when I'm not using them.
If it is the Humax I would expect it to only do it when you turn the Humax on shouldn't happen in standby.
Sorry not very helpful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 16, 2014
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail GF70
Exp
since 1993
Most HDMI devices can switch on the screen is they are active. For example if you've a sky box connected to a screen both on standby, turning on the sky box will make the screen turn on too. This is usually on one of the HDMI sockets and has this communication built in. Sounds like in your setup the humax is producing a signal to the TV - are you sure its off? I'd check the settings in the Humax and make sure its going into standby.
HDMI has many parts to its signal such as copy protection, various audio parts, control and finds out whats connected before allowing any image or audio to be shown. Can often by a right pain but the connection itself is such a weak link and subject to getting damaged.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
For that to happen the TV must be on standby rather than off. Does the TV not have a (physical) off switch?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Your Humax box will turn itself on from standby to receive OTA [over the air] updates from time to time.
Your TV, also in stanby, connected by an HDMI cable is recognising that the Humax has woken up so switches itself on to be ready.

Solution:
There maybe a setting on the TV to stop it happening
Unplug the HDMI cable
Unplug the TV from the power socket - or if the TV has a power switch, so it's not left in standby.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
For that to happen the TV must be on standby rather than off. Does the TV not have a (physical) off switch?
Good point, yes they do.
If it's switched off no way can it turn it's self on, the switch is directly in series with the power socket.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't think this will help but just in case it does ... my tv at home is DEFINITELY not on standby but it keeps switching itself on every couple of months. It scares the beejeebies out of me.

I used to have a cd player in the lounge which did the same and so I stopped leaving cds in it when it was off. It still insisted on switching on ..just no music.

o_O

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Don't think this will help but just in case it does ... my tv at home is DEFINITELY not on standby but it keeps switching itself on every couple of months. It scares the beejeebies out of me.

I used to have a cd player in the lounge which did the same and so I stopped leaving cds in it when it was off. It still insisted on switching on ..just no music.

o_O
The Cello Traverller's have a proper on/off switch your TV is probably like our Sony at home two states of standby, and it never really switched off unless you turn it off at the wall socket.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002

o_O
As I said haunted. Joy. Lol.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Give it a chance - its only a week, some threads get responses years after being posted.
They maybe away... they may have disconnected their internet as well as their telly :D2.
True but quite a few of the replies were immediate responces not even acknowledged with a click of the thank you button.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Give it a chance - its only a week, some threads get responses years after being posted.
They maybe away... they may have disconnected their internet as well as their telly :D2.
Well, they were last seen around 11am today and last posting at 8:52 PM yesterday.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
True but quite a few of the replies were immediate responces not even acknowledged with a click of the thank you button.

Well, they were last seen around 11am today and last posting at 8:52 PM yesterday.
Fair enough - it bugs me too.
If I start a thread, I try to acknowledge all the responses - well the valid/funny ones :whistle:.
Trying to be positive - some people aren't well versed in "nettiquette" - some perhaps not aware of the 'ratings' system...

...and some probably don't have the old school values/manners we were brought up with :rolleyes:

:)

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
Sorry for not replying, there is a physical on/off switch , but I always just use the remote, I think the tv is turning itself on when the box is recording or stopping, obviously it is sending some sort of signal down the hdmi cable.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Why not use the switch on the TV, I know they don't draw a lot on standby but left constantly in standby is still a drain on your batteries.

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
I always just use the remote. If it keeps turning itself on, i will resort to the manual switch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back