Ceiling weight and/or distribution strategy? (1 Viewer)

Jeroen van den Oever

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie - caravanner since 2008
Hi all,

I am putting a project together to get a much bigger view screen for us and the four kids in our motorhome. I am thinking about either a short-throw projector and small (140cm width) drop down screen or a 48-55" LED LCD TV. I am not looking for advice in the electronics department - bit of an expert there already!

I am looking for advice in terms of weight limits and mounting strategies. The TV would weigh 20kg, or if I went down the projector route, it would be about the same. A drop-down screen perhaps a little less (10kg).

What is the best way to mount that on the ceiling? Should I put a "skin" of thin wood screwed in at multiple places then mount the equipment onto that? Or are there mount points (like joists in a house) that I have to affix to?

It's the weight I'm predominantly worried about.

Advice/tips/ideas?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Just a thought.......why not simply fix the projector unit into an overhead locker, (open the locker when you want to use it) and have the image projected onto the inside of the window blind opposite? Keeps the projecter out of sight, no mounting issues, and no need for a separate screen! (assuming you have window blinds that are suitable that is!). That way - minimal weight.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My sons projector is pretty compact not sure what it is as we are in Italy. Surely preferable not fix it inside as then have the option of using it outside and everyone on site can watch:)

As for diy drilling of camper roof check your warrenty:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There wont be any reinforced parts or joist, the inside skin of the roof will be a compressed board type decorative material and will not be designed for any structural hanging. I would be a bit worried about doing this and having it come crashing down. Also I would be thinking ultimately about the resale value of the van with holes in and things screwed to the ceiling.

If you really want to do it it might be worth getting in touch with Dethleffs.

Martin

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you fix stuff to the ceiling and fill it full of holes how will you remedy that at selling time?
The inner skin is only thin ply 4 mm at best bonded to a dense foam

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Toooooooooooooooo risky by far IMO.:eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jeroen van den Oever

Jeroen van den Oever

Free Member
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie - caravanner since 2008
Ok sounds like a resounding "don't do", thanks all, I'll find an alternative.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back