ccCleaner hacked

Gromett

Funster
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not read up on this as I don't use windows. However from what I can make out it was hacked last year and anyone who installed it has "risk"..

https://thehackernews.com/2018/04/ccleaner-malware-attack.html

I don't have time to research this one more fully as it is not impacting me or my clients. But if you have this installed I suggest googling for details about any action you may need to take.

nicholsong

Funster
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
2.3m computers and FBI were involved. Sounds as though it might have been confined to USA.

What would be prudent? Uninstall CCCleaner and download current version, or have the owners fixed it with recent updates - I did one recently.

Geoff

OP
Gromett

Gromett

Funster
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The problem I think is that if you ever had the infected version the malware will have been installed. Not sure if upgrading ccCleaner actually removes the malware as well and any keyloggers etc.

nicholsong

Funster
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The problem I think is that if you ever had the infected version the malware will have been installed. Not sure if upgrading ccCleaner actually removes the malware as well and any keyloggers etc.

Just ran Malwarebytes again(probably had done it several times since this problem) and nothing found, so I assume my machine is OK.

Geofff

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Autotrail
Exp
More than toes wet now!
One of my machines got infected and I ran Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner (from same stable - https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/) and these removed it. Suggest you also run the latter. I also ran a virus scan with Avast and it came back clean.
Rumour says it was created by a disgruntled employee after the purchase of CCleaner by Avast!

s20hymer

Funster
MH
A class
Exp
hya i must really be up the creek as it must have value as antique the no is v5 25.5902

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Autotrail
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I got v5.41.6446 this morning so maybe I was just well down the queue - do they offer it to the subscription payers before the freebies?

Geoff
Don't really know, Geoff, but you can manually update by clicking on the "Check for updates" link in the bottom right corner of the "Cleaner Tab" screen.
upload_2018-4-20_10-58-27.png
This takes you to their website update page where you can download the latest version (assuming there is one but be careful to select the free version).

upload_2018-4-20_11-1-36.png
Click "No thanks".

upload_2018-4-20_11-3-0.png
Click "Download" (green button) and this will take you to a download location (usually FileHippo) where you download the latest version file to, say, your desktop. Once downloaded just double click the downloaded file and it will overwrite and update to latest version. You do not lose any settings from previous version.

That's it.

Let me know if you need further info.

nicholsong

Funster
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Don't really know, Geoff, but you can manually update by clicking on the "Check for updates" link in the bottom right corner of the "Cleaner Tab" screen.
View attachment 226085
This takes you to their website update page where you can download the latest version (assuming there is one but be careful to select the free version).

View attachment 226086
Click "No thanks".

View attachment 226087
Click "Download" (green button) and this will take you to a download location (usually FileHippo) where you download the latest version file to, say, your desktop. Once downloaded just double click the downloaded file and it will overwrite and update to latest version. You do not lose any settings from previous version.

That's it.

Let me know if you need further info.
Thanks

I do not run it very often and usually just to delete the Cache, so latest version is not so important and if I have to wait three days, so what?

Geoff

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services