CC or C&CC or neither? (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I'm in C & CC, as others say website not the best but ok when you're used to it.
Main reason we stay in it is their discount on Wightlink ferries to Isle of Wight where we live. If you book ferries through their page works out far cheaper than any other way we've tried

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Because I suffer from COPD, I need to have access to electrickery for my nebuliser and oxygen generator, won't take a risk of trusting my leisure batteries and inverter to be other than a stopgap..so I always use either commercial or club sites, you know what you are getting and usually reasonable public transport. Also don't forget the caravan club will also arrange car hire at sensible prices if you prefer..so for me club sites are a definite requisite.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'm quite interested in this thread. We joined the CC 2 years ago because we wanted to use CL's on the way home from collecting the van from the dealer (toured for a week). After that we did not use any because we were either abroad or in Scotland :)D).

Last year we we joined because the total cost of membership and insurance was the best for us. As it happens we used 1 CL on our way back from France last September and 1 CL a few weeks ago south of Aberdeen.

This year their insurance quote just can not compete (with Safeguard) and we need the breakdown recovery as the Fiat one runs out next week.

The only reason we will join either this year is in order to use CL's or CS's because we fancy a tour of Cornwall in the summer.

I just haven't decided yet which one will suit us best. For the record we never stay on Campsites if we can help it, they are too expensive, too busy, too organised and we don't need their facilities. We like to tour at our own pace and forward booking is too inflexible.

I understand that the CS's are more expensive than CL's...... can anyone comment please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
We are with both,as you have more choice,if I had to choose I would pick cc because I like the local and overseas rallies..

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
We're off up to Scotland in May and staying at Bunree, have you stayed there before?
No, our first time, Dave. Sorry!
If you've read the second review on their site specific (Bunree) page, about a cancellation charge even after full payment, it's NOT policy - we phoned and checked - no idea what happened there.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Used to be in both but have dumped CC.
No point being in it can never get in, sites always booked even though half full, plus just too many rules and far too regimented. Still in CCC for now use the small sites and love the 'camping in the forest' sites. Neither is great value for us but decided to stick with one and CCC suits us better for now.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
No, our first time, Dave. Sorry!
If you've read the second review on their site specific (Bunree) page, about a cancellation charge even after full payment, it's NOT policy - we phoned and checked - no idea what happened there.

Thanks for the reply Jeanette, where else are you going whilst in Scotland?

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I'm quite interested in this thread. We joined the CC 2 years ago because we wanted to use CL's on the way home from collecting the van from the dealer (toured for a week). After that we did not use any because we were either abroad or in Scotland :)D).

Last year we we joined because the total cost of membership and insurance was the best for us. As it happens we used 1 CL on our way back from France last September and 1 CL a few weeks ago south of Aberdeen.

This year their insurance quote just can not compete (with Safeguard) and we need the breakdown recovery as the Fiat one runs out next week.

The only reason we will join either this year is in order to use CL's or CS's because we fancy a tour of Cornwall in the summer.

I just haven't decided yet which one will suit us best. For the record we never stay on Campsites if we can help it, they are too expensive, too busy, too organised and we don't need their facilities. We like to tour at our own pace and forward booking is too inflexible.

I understand that the CS's are more expensive than CL's...... can anyone comment please?

Sorry to ask but I'm very new to this, whereabouts do you stay if you don't use campsites, are there designated areas you can stop for the night?
As ex caravanners we always stayed on sites but I'd be interested in wild camping if I can convince 'er indoors that she can live without mains electric, where do you empty the toilet as well?
Dave

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
We're in both and like the C.C for there CLS and we insure the car through them and the C &CC for there temporary holiday sites, many in nice places and much cheaper than commercial sites.
Alan

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Sorry to ask but I'm very new to this, whereabouts do you stay if you don't use campsites, are there designated areas you can stop for the night?
As ex caravanners we always stayed on sites but I'd be interested in wild camping if I can convince 'er indoors that she can live without mains electric, where do you empty the toilet as well?
Dave

It's not easy in the UK to be honest........ however in Scotland quite possible with a little common sense...... just find somewhere quiet and out of other peoples way, leave no trace, be respectful of the environment and other people. Scotland has less population than the rest of the UK so generally much easier.

In other countries (France for example) there is a good system of 'Aire's' which are specific parking paces for motorhomes, basic and usually free :). They nearly always have fresh water and grey/black water dumping points.

If you don't use the 'blue stuff' in your loo and settle for enviro friendly stuff then you can empty the cassette in an ordinary public loo......... failing that, if the middle of nowhere dig a deep hole and bury the contents (well away from water courses etc)

:)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
It's not easy in the UK to be honest........ however in Scotland quite possible with a little common sense...... just find somewhere quiet and out of other peoples way, leave no trace, be respectful of the environment and other people. Scotland has less population than the rest of the UK so generally much easier.

In other countries (France for example) there is a good system of 'Aire's' which are specific parking paces for motorhomes, basic and usually free :). They nearly always have fresh water and grey/black water dumping points.

If you don't use the 'blue stuff' in your loo and settle for enviro friendly stuff then you can empty the cassette in an ordinary public loo......... failing that, if the middle of nowhere dig a deep hole and bury the contents (well away from water courses etc)

Thanks for the info (y), I'll be in Scotland in May so I'll have a butchers

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Interesting post although as I said earlier I am now in neither. As to 'wilding it' and toilet emptying one of the clubs used to allow members to stay for a short period of time to carry out the essentials only, would anyone know which club this was/is.

Thanks,

Norman.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Thanks for the info (y), I'll be in Scotland in May so I'll have a butchers

We only do short trips and if in Europe we empty in an aire or an aire de service. If in the UK we can go a weekend without and empty when we get home.

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Both Clubs are great we joined the Caravan Club again get money off insurance so that pays for it.
You always get people bitching about both clubs i have had no issues.
Life too short to moan! and i think the prices are good some might say they are expensive but again is only £s
Jim

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Interesting post although as I said earlier I am now in neither. As to 'wilding it' and toilet emptying one of the clubs used to allow members to stay for a short period of time to carry out the essentials only, would anyone know which club this was/is.

Thanks,

Norman.

As previously said, it is the C & CC, at a charge of £7.10 to empty/fill etc. last time I looked.
I think you get a couple of hours to sort yourself out so I suppose you could use the toilet/shower block whilst your there.
It should be free to members in my opinion seeing as we pay the thick end of £50 per year.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Wilding in the more beautiful and non-touristy areas of Wales are the same as Scotland if on a smaller scale. The opportunities for 'wilding' are many and the Elan Valley is an obvious choice for many, but further South there are also a number of good and safe areas. In answer to the OP, we're in the CC but only use the CL's and their Tunnel booking service (I've never been able to beat their price, anywhere at anytime.....cue..........for 'someone' who has and often:rolleyes:)

Jul 21, 2013
Vienne France
Funster No
MH
VW T4 & MC LOUIS 671
Exp
2013 / 2004
We are members of both but have used c&cc 99% more than cc was going to give cc up this year but iv been bit busy lately and the renewl re started So i guess another year.

We dont usually do the club sites only now and agin . We mostly use cl and cs only 2 of us and a doggi althouh gained mums dog on sunday so now 2 doggies and us . So going to be paying more attention to doggi camping prices in future on sites

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back