LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You could always pop a cheapy rubber duck in the holder if you sell.. that would baffle em !!!

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
What do you do with a Hymer? My old 544 had the 'D' type mirror bars and it was easy to fit a mirror clamp. My new Exsis has 'coach type mirrors. I used a 'spider' ground plane that fitted between the antenna base and the mount. I would want to use this for 2m & 70cm as well as CB.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@Jaws Totally forgot about this thread, the rig is all fitted. The mount was really quite sturdy, solid plastic with a gasket on the outside. The metal plate that goes inside has "claws" to bite into the body and give a good contact.
I will get some piccies up as soon as I can. :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Used to enjoy the old AM CB radios but lost interest when the FM type came in - and it became legal !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What do you do with a Hymer? My old 544 had the 'D' type mirror bars and it was easy to fit a mirror clamp. My new Exsis has 'coach type mirrors. I used a 'spider' ground plane that fitted between the antenna base and the mount. I would want to use this for 2m & 70cm as well as CB.

Those spider things are not exactly great unless they have changed an awful lot.
Are the legs still just solid ally or do they have coils now ?
A ground plane needs to be at least a 1/4 of the frequency it is to be used on.. so if not a sheet of metal then the rods would need to be almost 9ft long to actually work well !

You can 'kid' it all a bit by using coils but even that is a compromise and makes it very difficult to get a decent standing wave ratio even across the standard 40 channels :-(

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Those spider things are not exactly great unless they have changed an awful lot.
Are the legs still just solid ally or do they have coils now ?
A ground plane needs to be at least a 1/4 of the frequency it is to be used on.. so if not a sheet of metal then the rods would need to be almost 9ft long to actually work well !

You can 'kid' it all a bit by using coils but even that is a compromise and makes it very difficult to get a decent standing wave ratio even across the standard 40 channels :-(
They are coiled,like rubber ducks.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Excellent.. Still a bugger to set up though !
For a while back in the 80's I made and sold all sorts of antenna for mobile application with both cb radio and on the various amateur bands..
Somewhere I still have the calculations to work out the 'q' ( goodness ) of a coil at any given frequency.. And as said, the more coil lthe less 'Q' and the worse the band width !

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@Jaws I have been having a David Bailey moment this afternoon, so finally, this is what the mount and aerial look like when fitted:
IMG_0388.JPG

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nice neat job.. what is the tuning like ?
I ask as with that big coil close to the body I am wondering if it is having any effect ?

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Nice neat job.. what is the tuning like ?
I ask as with that big coil close to the body I am wondering if it is having any effect ?
It got a respectable SWR when I tested it, but I suspect that it does affect it slightly. I am getting reasonable range, so am quite happy with it :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well what more can you ask ! :)
Currently gone with the lip mount but may well change to one of those little buggers !

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Well what more can you ask ! :)
Currently gone with the lip mount but may well change to one of those little buggers !
It was really easy to fit, the only tricky bit was the insulator on the top bolt is a very tight fit, but with a lot of swearing and brute force I got it into place :D

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
It was really easy to fit, the only tricky bit was the insulator on the top bolt is a very tight fit, but with a lot of swearing and brute force I got it into place :D
On my discovery I had the whip on the top gutter.. had to fold it to go in car parks etc or it made a right racket.. The transit has gutters as well at the bottom of the hi top so may sneak my cb in this weekend while the other half thinks I'm fixing the leaky skylight in the wc

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not gutter mount ( wish I could but would be up at silly feet and catch on all sorts of over head stuff on the MH !! ).. It is a lip mount that goes on the edge of the bonnet :)
I have a quick release attachment on it too, so when parked up it is a simple push and twist to remove :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back