Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
I think you.re probably right as far as the modern plastic moterhomes,to get a good swr requires a good ground plane.
In the older campers with aluminium bodies and a good large roof rack/ladder/bike rack it,s less of a problem.Also the higher it is the more likelihood of hitting low bridges etc if travelling.A compromise and common sense is needed,hence a short helical wound 2 foot antenna such as the firestick maybe could help?If you,re just intending on talking to someone in convoy with you then a clip on bumper mount or bicycle rack mount under the height of the camper should be ok,It,ll only be 4 watts or so,right?:Smile:
My first rig/twig .midland 3001/ k40 circa 1981.
Be careful,it is addictive.::bigsmile:

Just a couple of points:

Aluminium is Not a Ground plane, My Motorhome is Aluminium and I can assure you does NOT help in any way, I have tried many different sorts of antennae over the years and none act as good as the Plate on the roof bonded with sikaflex from that I have a cable attached and then that is taken to a ground on the chassis, from that I am getting 1.1 - 1.3 over the whole range.

I have also tried and still got a Sirio 27 marine CB antennae and this was also unsuccessful

Last edited:
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Breaker breaker....

Ok so what will I need for an Ariel on my van?

And can someone point me to a rig?

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Breaker breaker....

Ok so what will I need for an Ariel on my van?

And can someone point me to a rig?

The rig is basically what you want to pay, BUT ensure you get one with the EU channels embedded as I understand that later on this year they are allowing all the old AM channels to become legal, I have just purchased and fitted an Albrecht AE6891 which is a very small on dash unit and the main part is hidden it also has all the new channel programming in it.

Here it is http://www.4x4cb.com/public/item.cfm?itemID=2063

Also as far as the ariel goes that also depends on what you want, If only local copies ie 3 - 5 miles an NGP will suffice, Further afield a bit more technical

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I bought a roadcom of eBay not because of any great tech reason
It does all channels for uk and Europe
And can be dash mounted din fitting
Front speaker

Plus I like the look of it

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Just a couple of points:

Aluminium is Not a Ground plane, My Motorhome is Aluminium and I can assure you does NOT help in any way, I have tried many different sorts of antennae over the years and none act as good as the Plate on the roof bonded with sikaflex from that I have a cable attached and then that is taken to a ground on the chassis, from that I am getting 1.1 - 1.3 over the whole range.

I have also tried and still got a Sirio 27 marine CB antennae and this was also unsuccessful

thats your opinion , but i have to disagree,aluminium is the material of most dipole antennas and the body of the vehicle if made of any electrical conductive materiAl will improve the matching capabilities.to stick a metal plate with a non conductive material such as sykaflex defeats the object of matching antenna to chosen transmitting frequency, yes a dustbin lid will do but why use a lid when you can use the whole bin?

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
thats your opinion , but i have to disagree,aluminium is the material of most dipole antennas

That is very true, BUT they are used as Antennae NOT as ground planes which is a totally different thing.

BUT like I say try it, I Did

When using a normal DV27 SWR 3.1, When using a Sirio Marine 27 SWR 1.1, When using NGP 1.1 Max Range 5 mile

Now using Sirio Mythos on a Steel plate SWR 1.1 - 1.3 across the range and Max range 10 miles on skip 25 miles line of sight also 25 miles

SB unlimited

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Aluminium is a confusing one, as technically it's conductivity is far superior to steel - but is a very poor groundplane

Usual accepted methods are either running a cable (min 10a) from the base of the aerial to chassis OR fitting a sheet of steel min 1 foot square beneath, and then run a cable down to chassis - or use a groundplane converter which will allow a mirror/ladder fitment. It has a length a wire running beneath the aerial to act as a plane.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sommerkamp coffee warmer here, must be 20 years old and still blowing smoke. Love mobile DXing from outside the UK back to the UK when the propagation is good.

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Having more power is pointless unless the person you're talking to has as well. Otherwise he may hear you but you can't hear him. At the high frequency of PMR propagation is line of sight only + a bit of reflection off buildings if you're lucky so increasing power will probably make you illegal for no actual gain.

I use a modified Motorola M110 25W mobile set on 446 with colinear antenna on roof; works fine 20-40 miles with other similar set-ups and 1-5 miles with decent legal handhelds my kids carry about sites. UHF is far better than 27-MHz as antennas work properly, no interference from 2,000 miles away and very little bad language but ... very few other users to natter to ... and of course it's a bit dodgy :)

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
no interference from 2,000 miles away and very little bad language but ... very few other users to natter to ... and of course it's a bit dodgy :)

Actually where I am the only bad language used is by "Radio Hams" they openly state that as they cant swear on licensed frequencies they come down to 11 metre "to let off steam"

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
no interference from 2,000 miles away and very little bad language but ... very few other users to natter to ... and of course it's a bit dodgy :)

Actually where I am the only bad language used is by "Radio Hams" they openly state that as they cant swear on licensed frequencies they come down to 11 metre "to let off steam"

Last edited:

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Surely not Les, they just power up their 2,000-Watt amplifiers and blatt out half the district! Quite a few CB sets, especially the SSB ones have channels that fall (illegally) well within the 10m Ham Radio band so if CBer's are encroaching into there, they deserve a bit of bad language :)

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +

Surely not Les, they just power up their 2,000-Watt amplifiers and blatt out half the district! Quite a few CB sets, especially the SSB ones have channels that fall (illegally) well within the 10m Ham Radio band so if CBer's are encroaching into there, they deserve a bit of bad language :)

Tell you what mate I will record them as they regularly use their ham call signs and surely if they are classing themselves As "Radio Hams" and professionals who know better than CB users isnt it much better to show what it should be used like, Instead of showing learners what the professionals do ?

I have been using CB's now for over 30 years, I imported CB's from Germany and USA I have installed many thousands and repaired almost as many, I have always demonstrated how a CB SHOULD be used not How NOT to use it, It is and always has been the radio Hams who act the Big I Am, You should know as well as I do that every kid needs a teacher they have even made the exams for Ham radio a lot easier than they used to be and the "Foundation" license is so easy now that it would take a total idiot to fail it, Yet once passed You get a license to operate Ham radio's.

I listen to all frequencies as I have the equipment and a Yagi Uda beam to do it so I know exactly what they do and exactly what they say they are going to do on CB and why they say they do it.:Angry:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use a modified Motorola M110 25W mobile set on 446 with colinear antenna on roof; works fine 20-40 miles with other similar set-ups and 1-5 miles with decent legal handhelds my kids carry about sites. UHF is far better than 27-MHz as antennas work properly, no interference from 2,000 miles away and very little bad language but ... very few other users to natter to ... and of course it's a bit dodgy :)

I am surprised you give your callsign and admit you are operating an illegal transmitter on a public forum.
You never know who might be watching:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back