Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
Hi, Years ago before mobile phones, YES that long ago.
When i was a lorry driver. we all had CBs. do many funsters
use them. if so do you get much response ?
Was thinking of putting one in. If i do. has anyone got one they
would like to sell. cheers
Froghopper:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Hi, Years ago before mobile phones, YES that long ago.
When i was a lorry driver. we all had CBs. do many funsters
use them. if so do you get much response ?
Was thinking of putting one in. If i do. has anyone got one they
would like to sell. cheers
Froghopper:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Hi,
I still use the cb on the continent good 2way back to the uk in the summer, but I use the ssb part.I havent used FM on it but it,s very likely you,d hear something.I started on 40 channels AM,good old days made some good friends that way and still keep in touch,went to FM and dropped it like a hot potato,too many idiots,I stick to T5 on 11 now and thats very busy.10-10 or 73,s pete.
ps try ebay for buying one

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just sold two this year on ebay, Midland hand held and Midland mobile unit.. had them in the RV but rarely heard anyone .. only ever used as a reversing aid..

even truckers have moved on .. rarely see a twig on a truck these days

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have one in the van.. UK and Eu spec..
being a licensed op means I have to play the game and not use anything illegal

Mind you, I occasionally put the HF radio in too.. Couple of hundred watts up the stick, from 3.5 to 30 megs.. ( it has top band as well, but REALLY cannot be bothered putting up an 80 metre long wire as a half wave !! )

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes I have one in the RV

I have one of the smallest CB's on the market the Intek multi-standard CB transceiver .. the model is the M-100 Plus ..40 channel. legal UK and Europe .. I have also an Intek hand held unit.. H-520 Plus... I can also use the handheld in a car with a mag mount or stand alone.. we use it for moving the RV in tight areas... I have an American Keep for the mic so it retracts to the roof of the RV when the mic is not in use.

As my RV is fibreglass I have a ground plane ariel that does not have to be earthed...

All came from the CB shop in Kidderminster... Roy who owns the shop is very helpful and does a good mail order service.

I do not find a lot of traffic in the UK, a lot of polish truck drivers seem to use the cb over here... I have used it with my son-in-law following me in a car to the South of France.. works over a fair distance.

Bob

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
A long time ago, I had a modified Cobra 148 GTL-DX mobile and a Ham Jumbo (modified) at home, I ran a 1k burner and a PDL II, avanti... On a tower.. I would DX on SSB all over the world.

I then got bored and changed Cobra for a Yaesu FT707 for the car, re crystaled to 25-30mhz and and an extra mod to TX on 6.6mhz, 40 meters. :winky:

I ran a G2RV through an ATU and enjoyed messing about on some strange frequencies. Then went legal, mod the FT707 and got a FT101 and a 230R 2m.

All gone silent key....too much CQ contest 5/9 plus 30 QSL QRV..
CQ Contest...

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Must admit, for an awful long time I was an avid WAB'er ..
Before that I did enjoy contesting on 2
Home brew 400w ( ahem ) set of boots using a couple of 4CX250b's, shoved in to a boxed 4 set of stretched BCX 16 ele's.. Used a GAsFET masthead amp, and even in flat conditions could hear the beacons from GB3ANG up in Aberdeen to various PL and even DL ones occasionally

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
CQ contest 5/9 plus 30 QSL QRV..
CQ Contest...[/QUOTE]
couldn,t agree more,did the ft101e thing with different crystals,currently have a 40 foot scam mast and a shiny big beam but thinking I,ve heard it all before and what would i get for it on fleabay .:winky:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I did a LOT of C.B.ing back in the late 70s early 80s before it went legal:RollEyes:..all on the AM good old times them..then it went legal and I binned it everyone was on and you couldn't get a decent copy anywhere..27Mhz FM what a waste..mind you when I left HM Forces and went back into it when I was driving for Uncle Eddie (Stobart) as a lot of the lads had em in and there were always a few of us running together:RollEyes: we had a good chat on a favourite channel..it made the boring runs pass a bit quicker..By the way if your running about and see a Stobby with a twig up shout Red Arrow copy on 19 you may get a reply!!:winky:
Last year with a bit of help from Roger (Wildman) I passed my Foundation Course for Amateur Radio..it's a whole new world..I might only have 10 watts to play with but you can get a lot out of it..:Eeek: I tend to stick on the 2 metre band..144-146 Mhz lots of good contactson that band it's the future :thumb:...

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Think you get more conversation on 2m, glad you enjoy it Mondo, think about doing your intermediate now, its the most interesting of the three stages.

With the HF bands at week ends being taken over by the 5+9 contest mobs consider D-Star. 5w should get you into your local D-Star Repeater and talk to the States or Japan or Mainland Europe the only thing is the rigs are still a bit costly even in handheld form

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A long time ago, I had a modified Cobra 148 GTL-DX mobile and a Ham Jumbo (modified) at home, I ran a 1k burner and a PDL II, avanti... On a tower.. I would DX on SSB all over the world.

I then got bored and changed Cobra for a Yaesu FT707 for the car, re crystaled to 25-30mhz and and an extra mod to TX on 6.6mhz, 40 meters. :winky:

I ran a G2RV through an ATU and enjoyed messing about on some strange frequencies. Then went legal, mod the FT707 and got a FT101 and a 230R 2m.

All gone silent key....too much CQ contest 5/9 plus 30 QSL QRV..
CQ Contest

Must admit, for an awful long time I was an avid WAB'er ..
Before that I did enjoy contesting on 2
Home brew 400w ( ahem ) set of boots using a couple of 4CX250b's, shoved in to a boxed 4 set of stretched BCX 16 ele's.. Used a GAsFET masthead amp, and even in flat conditions could hear the beacons from GB3ANG up in Aberdeen to various PL and even DL ones occasionally
Bloody hell...i thought the CB lingo took time to learn.

the techy talk is witchcraft :Eeek:

i had a midland am 40ch and a DV27....worked for me for what i wanted.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Reader..I intend to do my Intermediate..I'm sort of half studying for it now if you catch my drift..I'm currently esconced in Tewnerife..so I can't do the praticals etc til I get back to the UK for a long visit..(at least 6/8 weeks)..I do have a couple of VHF radios and a HF set and Icom IC 740..Like I say I prefer the 2m VHF as it's a bit more local..and I can speak to a wealth of knowledgeable ops...And Pappajohn thats how I started with a Midland 40 channel and the ubiquitous DV27 top loaded...Happy (OLD) Days..:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Bloody hell...i thought the CB lingo took time to learn.

the techy talk is witchcraft :Eeek:

i had a midland am 40ch and a DV27....worked for me for what i wanted.

Laymans Speak can be found here - it is basic, but gets across what you need to know as a stranger to radios without complicating things!

Broken Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
SOOO much easier ( in one way ) when I did it..

Pass the two City and Guilds exams to get a G6 ( B class ) licence... do your apprenticeship on the higher frequencies, then do a 12wpm morse test ( which I will be the first to admit I found incredibly difficult ) to get an A class giving access to all bands ( apart from the odd special experimental ones such as VLF )

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
That reminds me, have still got me old Sommerkamp coffee warmer somewhere.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
That reminds me, have still got me old Sommerkamp coffee warmer somewhere.

had a couple of those on 10 mtrs over the years.. bit deaf but built like a brick out house :thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Crikey this takes me back. I was Looby Lou and Sandy was Roadrunner and we had so many friends who were CB ers, including Pieman and Yellow Peril. I think we had a Jumbo and a President but I can't be sure now.

10/10 good buddy, clean and green. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ivy

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Some "CB rally " pics :) From Memory it was Telford, Early 80's.

http://s447.photobucket.com/albums/qq198/staffs1959/CB radio/

That's not ME in the pic by the way.. !! It's "fat ant"... :ROFLMAO:

Used to have a CB shop in Walsall, where I also supplied most of the UK "rig doctors" with spare parts..!!
Also the Junction 1 CB at West Bromwich, originally "truckhaven" then a "BP" truckstop, now all gone and factories..

Good old days..

Last edited:
OP
OP
froghopper

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
A twig on a rig

Well that was a trip down memory lane. thanks to all. a big 10 4 good buddys

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Some "CB rally " pics :) From Memory it was Telford, Early 80's.

http://s447.photobucket.com/albums/qq198/staffs1959/CB radio/

That's not ME in the pic by the way.. !! It's "fat ant"... :ROFLMAO:

Used to have a CB shop in Walsall, where I also supplied most of the UK "rig doctors" with spare parts..!!
Also the Junction 1 CB at West Bromwich, originally "truckhaven" then a "BP" truckstop, now all gone and factories..

Good old days..

I bought parts from you then !!

Back in the day there was only two people doing rig repairs full time in the whole area.. me and a guy in Norwich..

I used to run 'Rustbucket and Doctor Deaths CB Emporium :Blush: :ROFLMAO:

Our one and only company vehicle was an old Austin Princess hearse !!!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back