CB Communication (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We are going on a Road Trip with a couple of other MH's and it occurred to me using a CB Radio
might be an amusing way of keeping in touch whilst on the move,has anyone tried it and was it successful?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Neither will CB methinks. Stick any sort of obstruction in the way and the range crashes. I know in there heyday, people claimed amazing vehicle to vehicle copy, but there was a lot of fantasy in there. PMR446 will work well in close formation, with its 500mw, and are very cheap, even the simplest of unit will suffice. All be it SuperMike's are SuperComplicated units that he has fiddled with. :mask:

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
We have one of these in our RV and it works surprisingly well, good cheap option and very small.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We have a CB installed in ours, and use a mobile unit for "base" to "mobile" comms. Works surprisingly well, mind you we have a ridiculous aerial on the van :D

I'm sure @Jaws can offer more insight

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
In my experience with HGV's the range would be limited to 2-3 miles. This will vary with terrain and weather conditions.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
As an update, I dug out a couple of photos, first this is the dash arrangement (I know it is dusty in this pic):
dash gadgets.JPG

And on the out side, this is where I put the aerial:
aerial.JPG

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Indeed, mobile roof type antennas are good for a couple of miles, if the conditions are right. PMR446 will work ok for a few hundred yards. Remember, any handheld that has its antenna attached, is working inside a tin box, unless you are hanging out of the window, whilst driving, :), that will reduce the output considerably.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
As an update, I dug out a couple of photos, first this is the dash arrangement (I know it is dusty in this pic):View attachment 173419
And on the out side, this is where I put the aerial:
View attachment 173421
Hi.
THATS DUSTY!!!???:confused: The only reason i avoid potholes/sleeping policemen,is if i hit them to fast,i have to stop while the "Dust Storm" subsides.
That is what i call "Pristine". have you got shares in Mr Sheen?
Tea Bag

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
That is what i call "Pristine". have you got shares in Mr Sheen?
Tea Bag
I'm fussy, so the dash is now gleaming, in that photo the van had been laid up for a few weeks. I've just cleaned it ready for the holiday next week, when it will get full of sand and need cleaning again.....
Actually why do I bother! :D

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK CB
IF note IF you have a sufficiently strong ground plane for your antennae then range can upto 7 miles
BUT a motorhome is mostly plastic or very thin alloy which doesn't sufficiently produce a strong enough field to keep the signal down to where it's useful
On AM (still illegal in UK ) the max would be around 1.5 miles
On FM with 10watts you'd have a really improved range but from what I remember 4W is max and most small antennae will only manage 3-4 miles

In the bad old days when we were using totally illegal power and Side Bands then sat on a hill top we could get serious distance on mid band (the Euro standard now) but that would depend on lots of factors and Yes I have had conversations with Americans Australians and Europeans but NEVER mobile and not using a mobile antennae
the furthest I have had on a mobile conversation was using a 7'6" Silver Star antennae and that was 60 miles

The kit for sale now a days needs to have line of sight so max 4 miles is probable

the PMR on sale you are looking at max 1km in clear air any obstruction will kill the signal

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
OK CB
IF note IF you have a sufficiently strong ground plane for your antennae then range can upto 7 miles
BUT a motorhome is mostly plastic or very thin alloy which doesn't sufficiently produce a strong enough field to keep the signal down to where it's useful
On FM with 10watts you'd have a really improved range but from what I remember 4W is max and most small antennae will only manage 3-4 miles

In the bad old days when we were using totally illegal power and Side Bands then sat on a hill top we could get serious distance on mid band (the Euro standard now) but that would depend on lots of factors and Yes I have had conversations with Americans Australians and Europeans but NEVER mobile and not using a mobile antennae
the furthest I have had on a mobile conversation was using a 7'6" Silver Star antennae and that was 60 miles

The kit for sale now a days needs to have line of sight so max 4 miles is probable

the PMR on sale you are looking at max 1km in clear air any obstruction will kill the signal
I use a CRT One rig connected to a 4ft springer in my RV. The aerial is mounted on a foot square or stainless and is grounded to the chassis, I've managed a very low swr reading doing it this way and it performs very well, more like 8-10 miles on UK 40. Much better when I put the 50w burner on:D

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
When mobile phones became common I always thought, and think the range they achieve is amazing given their tiny size, and from inside buildings too.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
OK CB

I believe UK cb can now use AM, FM and SSB ( single side band) I have a legally bought CB radio that has all these channels and also a handheld cb that can be switched to use all European channel allocations.
You can also buy marine grade cb aerials that do not require a ground plane or earth connection to work as they are designed to be fitted to grp hulls, there are other types or ground plane free aerials available too as well as artificial ground planes that can be fitted to some standard aerials.
I have 2 x 5 watt handheld radios that give me a good minimum of 4 or 5 mile range in any conditions, plenty to be travelling in convoy with.
The only downside is that you need a licence to operate these legally in the U.K. These licences ( simple UK light licence ) are obtainable from OFFCOM and you don't need to take any form of test to get one.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
AH.. CB Radio... Those were the days... :)

ps @Madcaravanner AM /SSSB been legal for a while now I understand.. (y)...
Keep up old chap.. ;) 10:4

img103.jpg

img111.jpg

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Wouldn't it be easier just to use your mobile, you will not have worry about distance and usually will have a signal and if you have roaming within your package it will be free too.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Wouldn't it be easier just to use your mobile, you will not have worry about distance and usually will have a signal and if you have roaming within your package it will be free too.
If you all have radios tuned to the same channel and they are all switched on, a simple key press and you can talk to everyone at the same time. With a phone, you have to ring the number and wait for a response.
Yes, the phone is more efficient but in some ways more cumbersome and less fun....good buddy....

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
If you all have radios tuned to the same channel and they are all switched on, a simple key press and you can talk to everyone at the same time. With a phone, you have to ring the number and wait for a response.
Yes, the phone is more efficient but in some ways more cumbersome and less fun....good buddy....

Good point, if you have a convoy instead of a one to one, cm'on..

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Phones and driving.... No.
Tea Bag We are down,we are gone!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Mobile phones are banned Tea Bags. The ban is on equipment, that can send and receive at the same time, using certain frequencies.

CB and Amateur Radio are not in the listed banned frequencies, but sensible operators will use hands free operation.
The use of hand held devices such as are available licence free are worse in my opinion (not just range) than a properly fitted rig where at the most you hold a microphone.

It is preferable for a passenger to operate any radio equipment and that includes phones, CD players and car radios.

John g0fgg

Last edited:

Dazcaz

Free Member
May 1, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years of MHing. Many more Camping
Whilst it's not illegal to operate a "PTT device" you can still get done for driving without due care and attention. Also many plods don't know the law regarding PTT devices. CB would be better for you than PMR 446 as the roof mounted antenna will be a huge bonus.
We are all hams in our family so we use UHF rigs. If you're going to make a habbit of this, consider sitting the course. it's dead easy and well worth it. :)

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Whilst it's not illegal to operate a "PTT device" you can still get done for driving without due care and attention. Also many plods don't know the law regarding PTT devices. CB would be better for you than PMR 446 as the roof mounted antenna will be a huge bonus.
We are all hams in our family so we use UHF rigs. If you're going to make a habbit of this, consider sitting the course. it's dead easy and well worth it. :)
Ham is a bit geeky me thinks, always thought of it as CB for nerds,

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Walkie talkies will be private at least. Technology of these things nowadays has certainly made them a viable alternative to a fixed CB unit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back