markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
It's a credit card you preload with euros, hence the fascination with the euro rate as you buy them at the prevailing rate, now the Greek elections have swung left the prediction is 1.55 euro to the gbp

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Having a rival to Caxton is good as we can now split our travel money between mastercard & visa and it is unlikely both Caxton & Ukash would go tits up same month (y)
Card arrived today and the rate has been higher than Caxton throughout so no contest!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Haha. Thread name makes me laugh!
We live a stones throw from 'The Gibbet'. Sounds like the village is up for sale, or something. ;)

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi all, just a little heads up. It has been mentioned about buying fuel at night with the Halifax Clarity Card. We live in France and in the last Couple of years some of the smaller supermarket fuel stations have not been taking English Cards in their 24hr machines, ie. The smaller Intermarche, Spar Utile etc. ok in the office in the day, Probably because they cost too much for the small franchisees. The big ones Auchen, Carefore, Giant etc. are no problem. So make sure you are in range of a big supermarket if travelling late.
We use The Santander Zero card which has no surcharges anywhere in the world for purchases. Just been using it in Florida for three weeks and money market mid rates. But interest if drawing cash so only draw cash just before the D.D. Is paid. But it is no longer available for new issue.
Out of interst we got a very good price ordering our dollars online to be picked up at Sainsburys store and a little extra discount with the Nectar card.
Steve

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Do I get more value for money buying euros and leaving it in the Caxton card account or do I get more by leaving it in a 4% interest account which I am getting with my lloyds club account?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do I get more value for money buying euros and leaving it in the Caxton card account or do I get more by leaving it in a 4% interest account which I am getting with my lloyds club account?
Now that's a question which NO ONE can really answer! You don't get any interest on the money whilst it is in your Caxton account however the exchange rate is very good so its a matter of having a rub of your crystal ball to see if it is going to say at the current high rate or drop down!

The rate is around £1 = €1.30 (approx at present) so if it goes down to say £1 = €1.20, that's a drop of about 9% ... I think! Therefore if you think the rate is going to drop below say €1.25 before you want to load your card you might be better doing it now (that's around 4.5% drop), but if you think it's going to stay high then leave your dosh where it is and load it when you need it ... and keep your fingers crossed!

Instead of using the money out of your Lloyds account is there another one which pays less interest which you could use to load your card, or top your Lloyds account back up?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi all, just a little heads up. It has been mentioned about buying fuel at night with the Halifax Clarity Card. We live in France and in the last Couple of years some of the smaller supermarket fuel stations have not been taking English Cards in their 24hr machines, ie.
Steve

Your house link doesn't work for me.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Minus tax (if applicable):cry:

To answer your question.

On the 1st Feb. 2014 the £ was worth €1.21. Today it is worth €1.34.
Your Lloyds account would be worth slightly less than €1.26 minus as Tarn said Less Tax if applicable
12 mths before that, the € was less than €1.15 to the £.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Your house link doesn't work for me.
Thanks Gus it used to work but as you say does not now, at least not on an iPad which is all I have available at the moment the actual address for an iPad is "http://MaisonMinervois.eu" please message me if you still have trouble. We will be back in about ten days if you want to view.
Thanks very much for letting me know.
Steve

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And the Interbank rate is in or abouts €1.347 (and that's what you would get from a Halifax Clarity Card).
Makes me almost giddy at the thought.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I applied for a UKASH card and they electronically declined. :( I am not taking it personally but I wonder what I may have electronically entered that made me a bad risk, did they know I voted for independance, or is it because I am not a follower of Mohammed, perhaps Scottish pound notes do not exchange with Euros. I hope they are some kind of bank from somewhere that I can be really prejudiced about. My venom knows no bounds !! :whistle:

I didn't like the fact that when you wish to wind the card up they charge an arm and a leg either so they can stick their card where the sun don't shine. I'm a Caxton man now not quite such a good exchange rate but no terminal penalties. (y)(y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Did you buy euros? I believe you need to buy some before they supply a card.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Wouldn't let me go that far Andy, I was just registering for an account to then purchase Euros, I am not bothered anyway, just intrigued as to why they deemed from the questions that they asked that I should turn out to be a bad risk. Their loss as far as i'm concerned, plenty other firms more than willing to have a go at getting their mitts on Moodybrook cash :sneaky:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And the Interbank rate is in or abouts €1.347 (and that's what you would get from a Halifax Clarity Card).
Makes me almost giddy at the thought.

Calm down dear, it's only money.

Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Wouldn't let me go that far Andy, I was just registering for an account to then purchase Euros, I am not bothered anyway, just intrigued as to why they deemed from the questions that they asked that I should turn out to be a bad risk. Their loss as far as i'm concerned, plenty other firms more than willing to have a go at getting their mitts on Moodybrook cash :sneaky:

Strange it did the same to me when I tried to register I did phone them but with no joy.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
€1.40 might be the peak for the moment?

Going to load my card today and not look any more, when we were living in France we were getting as low as €1.08, todays rate makes diesel over there around 83p a litre

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Switched on laptop, email from Caxton offering €1.40, away in 2 weeks so loaded card with chunk.

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
Got an e-mail from Ukash yesterday. It seems they have become part of paysafecard. They say the service is the same but use it to pay online with a 16 digit pin. Ukash will only be available until 31 August and cannot be used after 31 October. Glad I haven't topped it up again after coming back from France. :(:(

Hope the link works

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Got an e-mail from Ukash yesterday. It seems they have become part of paysafecard. They say the service is the same but use it to pay online with a 16 digit pin. Ukash will only be available until 31 August and cannot be used after 31 October. Glad I haven't topped it up again after coming back from France. :(:(

Didn't get the email but this is from their website. It doesn't seem to apply to the cards, just the online service.

Switch over now!
Please remember: Ukash will only be available in Great Britain until 31/08/2015 and may only be used until 31/10/2015. So why not switch to paysafecard today.

Information for MasterCard customers: This change does not affect the Ukash Travel Money Prepaid MasterCard issued by Prepaid Financial Services. You can continue to load and spend with your card as before.

Broken Link Removed

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've chosen Easyjet pre paid card
Got the card within 10 days and a rate of 1:40 today !

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
Transferred my pension yesterday with Transferwise, into my German Account and got €1.4338!! Loving it.

All done! The money should arrive by Broken Link Removed
The rate was 1 GBP = 1.4338 EUR, and the fee charged was £1.49.
We have also notified your recipient via email bobndebs1***@yahoo.co.uk

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back