Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I would recommend wearing glasses as well as gloves, please remember your eyes won't like a blast of gas. Hope everything works out with the wound (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I would recommend wearing glasses as well as gloves, please remember your eyes won't like a blast of gas. Hope everything works out with the wound (y)
Still going for treatment daily, but I think it's on the mend now. The blister has burst of its own accord and I am having dressings changed daily at the local clinic. It's 9 days now since this unfortunate accident and I don't mind telling you it has caused me a lot of discomfort.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Still going for treatment daily, but I think it's on the mend now. The blister has burst of its own accord and I am having dressings changed daily at the local clinic. It's 9 days now since this unfortunate accident and I don't mind telling you it has caused me a lot of discomfort.
I know its not much help, but you were lucky, even a blast of compressed air through the skin can cause an air embolism. Not sure about how LPG works like that, but if it did stay in your blood stream as a gas bubble it could have been much worse.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Releasing the trigger releases the gas. The Locking collar is only the mechanical connection that you should not touch until after releasing the trigger and the burst of vapour.

As from 3 minutes 30 in this video
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/caution-with-lpg.127154/page-2#post-1791815
Yes I realise that but my fixed connector is an ' acme' ,Italian/french /German with a 10mm thread in centre for connecting euro or Uk adaptors. This also has the first non-return in it. ( There is a second at the end of inlet pipe at the tank.) After releasing the trigger & attempting to take off the gun by twisting there will always be more gas to be expelled as the adaptor is depressing the first non return in the acme fitting & there is gas still trapped between the adaptor & tank non.return.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We filled up (LPG) in Portugal - but it was a 'French' connection Pete says.

We'd tried one place in 'All the Aires' and there was no gas delivering but nowt on the pump or kiosk etc to say it wasn't working. There was a Dutch moho who pulled in after us who also wanted LPG, the girl in the kiosk was exceedingly unhelpful, the Dutch lady and I were both less than happy with the couldn't care less attitude she displayed, and the anger she displayed with the customer before me, who merely wished to pay by cheque - they accepted cheques apparently but she did NOT like having to take them apparently.

So anyway - the Dutch went one way and we went the other, but on the way to where we were headed, we unexpectedly went past a forecourt that wasn't in the book - but sold LPG. Job done - and nearer the campsite!

shane the nomad

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Anywhere the handbrake go's on
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Two years ...so newbie....ish !!!
Hope your hand heals soon.Will be a bit sore lifting the beer up ! Gloves all round me thinks.Done it myself couple of years ago.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How's the wound coming on Snowy? Did you take any 'gory' pictures? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
How's the wound coming on Snowy? Did you take any 'gory' pictures? :rolleyes:
It is slow!y mending thanks. My forearm looks like I have leprasy with skin falling off all over the place but my hand is still in dressings which won't be changed until Monday as it's Easter. I did get some ointment here called Biafine which is very good and has given me some relief. No photos am afraid, far to gruesome.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Biafine is very good - hubby was prescribed it too.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks Snowbird for the warning, Good to hear you are on the mend but I can imagine you have had a rough time.
I will add gloves to the kit, at least some protection, the ones with a cuff I think. Will be doing my first fill up soon but will be in UK.
Can anyone confirm that I will not require an adapter for Germany? I have a new Motorhome with UK fitting.

Deleted User
Thanks Snowbird for the warning, Good to hear you are on the mend but I can imagine you have had a rough time.
I will add gloves to the kit, at least some protection, the ones with a cuff I think. Will be doing my first fill up soon but will be in UK.
Can anyone confirm that I will not require an adapter for Germany? I have a new Motorhome with UK fitting.

Here's the information on each countries adapters

http://www.mylpg.eu/adapters

Your best bet is to buy the 3 adapted kit from gasit, then you are set up for every European country. (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! You're not allowed to sneak in here without someone saying hello! :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It is slow!y mending thanks. My forearm looks like I have leprasy with skin falling off all over the place but my hand is still in dressings which won't be changed until Monday as it's Easter. I did get some ointment here called Biafine which is very good and has given me some relief. No photos am afraid, far to gruesome.
I've only just seen this thread Dave, and was sorry to read of your injuries. :(

I am pleased to see that you are on the mend, at last, and hopefully you'll be able to get behind the wheel shortly. (y)

Thanks for the "heads up" re the potential danger.
Take care,

Jock. :)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for posting what can happen when filling up. Terry normally does the nozzle but while I press the black button, I've told him of this thread and advised him to wear gloves next time he fills up. He had learned that if he releases the trigger slowly the build up of gas which used to whoosh out now slowly trickles out enabling him to take out the nozzle without that whoosh.
Sorry to hear of your burns! Hope they heal soon.

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Don't know anything about using LPG filling as I'm still on the bottles, but that sounds nasty. Keep the burns out of the sun. I have found in the past that to lessen scarring and aid recovery that putting lavender oil in a carrier oil (almond or the such) helps a lot. When we were in Holland last year a Belgian boy on a racing biking ploughed into Maureen from behind, she went flying into a very prickly hedge which ripped a large gash in her arm. Long story short...hospital by this Dutch angel that was passing by and saw it, stitches, anti b's etc etc. Used the above and there is hardly a mark now. You could Google the lavender oil thing and it will tell you what dilution to use. Take care y'all!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just a quick caution when filling with LPG. I went to top up my truck on Tuesday and as I attached the gun to the filler, liquid gas gushed out all over my hand and arm. I thought bloody hell that's cold and carried on. I now have serious frost burns all over the back of my hand and up my arm requiring hospital treatment on the EHIC. Thankfully we are still in the EU so no problems here in Portugal. Many thanks to JJsuperstar for his errand of mercy yesterday fetching medication. Take this as a warning and use gloves and take great care when filling any gas bottles or tanks. I am not new to filling these things and have been doing it for years, maybe it was a momentarily lack of concentration that caused the malfunction or a technical problem, I don't know,but will be treating the filling of gas with more respect in future.

Only done it once,,,just like frostbite,,,,painful,,,,hope your ok now,,,BUSBY.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
It might have been said already, but if you're using a continental adapter it's worth remembering that it'll be bloody cold straight after filling so don't try to remove it with your bare hand.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
It's the change of state which makes liquid lpg dangerious. In converting to a gas lpg sucks the heat out the skin in a fraction of a second, killing the skin. You get the same effect in reverse with steam, put you hand close to the spout of a boiling kettle and you get burnt, as the steam dumps its latent heat into you as it changes state to a liquid.

Ian
A good and very informative brief on Thermal Dynamics(y)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
@Snowbird if the injuries are similar to the type that you get from Fgas spills then there will be some scarring unfortunately , we use neoprene gloves with a fabric backing when handling Fgas,s and nitrogen.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The Euro Adapter sold for Spain, comes in two types, one with a non return valve and one without. The valve one hold back an amount of gas that is released as you unscrew this. I have noticed frosting on the seal as this gas is released. The only other way would be to force the valve off its seat and the jet could hit you.

In 2017 the Euro Adapter as used in Spain is to be standard in all of the EU.

Aug 9, 2015
Hampshire. England
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 624
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the warning Snowbird. I have yet to fill my tanks with LPG but have learnt a lot reading this thread. I will approach the gas pump, gloves on, but with more than a little trepidation!

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011
I was using the Portuguese cup type adapter, screwed into my bayonet. As I attached the gun it released gas from my tank but the gun was still attached to the cup. I tried to release the trigger but nothing happened. I then noticed a little brass button on the side of the gun that had to be pressed to release the gun. At this point there was LPG all over the place and I had no choice but put my hands into it to release the button. Am not saying gloves would have stopped the burn,but it would have saved a lot of it.

I had trouble with one of the adapters I was using. It has a rubber washer/ grommet. Once fitted I pressed the button. The pressure distorted the washer and liquid propane escaped running onto the ground. Thankfully I was standing well back. I will be replacing that fitting before the next trip.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Here's the information on each countries adapters

http://www.mylpg.eu/adapters

Your best bet is to buy the 3 adapted kit from gasit, then you are set up for every European country. (y)
That's great, just ordered the 3 part kit from Gasit. Thanks

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having given a great deal of thought to what could have caused this misshap, I came to the conclusion that although the button was not pressed on the pump the pipe would still be full of liquid gas from the previous user. If for whatever reason the connection I made was not good would this allow said gas from the pipe to gush out ?.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I was of the opinion that the dispensing pump purged the the hose of liquid after releasing the button.
I believed that this is why there is a delay between pressing the button and actual delivery as it refills the pipe before it registers gas dispensed to your tank.

I can of course be completely wrong

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Snowbird hows the wounds? Healing up okay I hope?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back