Caution: Left Hand Drive : (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As title, had this sign on the back of the left hooker Hymer I bought ..
It was getting tatty, so since removed..

Anyone else have one.. are they a good idea or not needed ?

20150328_161559.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
On the basis that everybody who has a LHD seems to say they are easy to drive over here I would say you shouldn't need it :whistle::whistle:

and the rest of us don't have one saying caution RHD for trips over the channel :D:D

not needed for me (y)

having said that, I do like to make eye contact (even in mirrors) with drivers wherever possible, particularly with bigger vehicles, when reversing in particular (and more so when towards me) could be disconcerting if they look like they are asleep or not even there :LOL::LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have one, just because it was there when we bought the van and it balances the "if you can't see my mirrors" one on the other side, can't really see the point of them as I doubt that anybody behind you really cares and I don't expect people to make an exception for me, if I can't drive it properly on Left side of the road without affecting the people behind I should not be driving it.

Martin

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I would assume the reason most Brits done have RHD sticker when abroad is the reg plate is a give away, Jims van will I assume have a Brit plate on it so again most would assume it's RHD.
I can't see it doing any harm Jim as you see the road sweepers with the signs on them, not saying your hymer is same as a bin lorry.:D:D

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Thought about with the RV and then didnt bother, havent considered the advantage or disadvantage of having one.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We've had two of those signs on the back of our MH for some years now.
A low one on the rear bumper for the benefit of numpty car drivers, who can't see much further forward than the front of their bonnet, and a high one for fellow drivers of larger vehicles.

The signs alert following drivers that due to being LHD, I may experience difficulties at junctions, or toll booths, etc, in the hope that they may afford me a greater degree of tolerance, ie, show a little more patience and consideration. Just like a foreign Reg No here in the UK, would alert me to think the same, as would "L" plates and "P" plates.

Just my take on things, which can make driving safer for everyone.

Cheers,

Jock.
On the CL.JPG

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I would assume the reason most Brits done have RHD sticker when abroad is the reg plate is a give away, Jims van will I assume have a Brit plate on it so again most would assume it's RHD.
I can't see it doing any harm Jim as you see the road sweepers with the signs on them, not saying your hymer is same as a bin lorry.:D:D
sum bin lorry's are tider than my van :rofl:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
@JockandRita

they make mine look puny .. :LOL:

but I agree.. perhaps clean up the one I have and re fit ..
I struggled to find a larger one like yours Jim, so a chat with a fellow MH'er who was doing vinyl designs at a Steam Fair, had me providing exact measurements, and he did the rest.
Wording cut out of white vinyl, and mounted on red. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
If you have a right hand drive van and have such a sign for travelling abroad, in what language is it printed?

Surely the only point in having a sign is if its opposite to normal in your home country otherwise your number plate should be sufficient warning when abroad that you are not a fellow countryman and perhaps need treating with caution

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
If you have a right hand drive van and have such a sign for travelling abroad, in what language is it printed?

Surely the only point in having a sign is if its opposite to normal in your home country otherwise your number plate should be sufficient warning when abroad that you are not a fellow countryman and perhaps need treating with caution
If I lived in France or Spain with a right hooker, I'd have the same signs made up, but in the language of my country of residence. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I suppose the need was greater when we all stuck our hands out of the window to indicate our intentions. Now that all vehicles have flashing indicators, LHD is no bar to proper signals - although I have seen it suggested that certain foreign makes render the driver incapable of using them. :D
(or have I got that the wrong way round? :D:D)

Didn't the road sweeper ones spell it out in full: 'Left hand drive - No hand signals'.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Weeelllllllllllllllll
How many brit vans do you see abroad with 'caution. Right hand drive' on them ? ;)

The GB designation on our number plates tells drivers in Europe that the vehicles are RHD. Or at least most of them are .

If a LHD drive van is going to be used in the UK then its worth having the warning so other drivers may be aware the blind spots are different on the van they may be passing say in a road island or junction.

IMO well worth having (y)

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I suppose the need was greater when we all stuck our hands out of the window to indicate our intentions. Now that all vehicles have flashing indicators, LHD is no bar to proper signals - although I have seen it suggested that certain foreign makes render the driver incapable of using them. :D
(or have I got that the wrong way round? :D:D)

Didn't the road sweeper ones spell it out in full: 'Left hand drive - No hand signals'.
I used to like those trafficator arms which popped up at the side of the car, and they would be useful today for when your rear indicator goes on the blink........or maybe that should read doesn't go on the blink.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't see what change in behaviour a driver following a vehicle displaying a "Caution Left Hand Drive" sign would be expected to do? The only time LHD might matter here in the UK is overtaking can be a bit trickier if there is no passenger to act as a "spotter" but again, what is the vehicle following supposed to do differently? If they are needed at all they should be on the front bumper to act as a warning to traffic coming the other way that they might pull out to peer around a vehicle to see if the road is clear to overtake - but this wouldn't be exactly practical given the distance and speeds involved.

They are like the "Show dogs in transit"* signs. Completely meaningless.

*Though more normally a Volvo estate than a Transit. :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I think these signs may have been useful many years ago, but now,no one makes allowances for anything, least of all vehicle showing a sign like this.
I think its a throwback to the days when "Caution, Disc Brakes" stickers were popular!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My van was ordered in Germany by a UK customer but Rapido still managed to fit a fog light on the wrong side.
My only solution was to blank it over
CA_02211415404169-X2.jpg

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I don't see what change in behaviour a driver following a vehicle displaying a "Caution Left Hand Drive" sign would be expected to do? The only time LHD might matter here in the UK is overtaking can be a bit trickier if there is no passenger to act as a "spotter" but again, what is the vehicle following supposed to do differently? If they are needed at all they should be on the front bumper to act as a warning to traffic coming the other way that they might pull out to peer around a vehicle to see if the road is clear to overtake - but this wouldn't be exactly practical given the distance and speeds involved.

*Though more normally a Volvo estate than a Transit. :)
If I an on sum junction to get a good clear view to my right I some times hang back Frome the junction on a filter lane give way junction
bill

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Never had one on my Spider but then, I always have the hood down and you can see my head (and the rest of my body) in the "wrong" seat which kind of gives a clue. Always wondered why someone should be more careful or cautious behind a left hand drive - is it like those "Baby on board" stickers that want me to drive more carefully because the owner of the car in front does not have the skill themselves?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The GB designation on our number plates tells drivers in Europe that the vehicles are RHD. Or at least most of them are .

If a LHD drive van is going to be used in the UK then its worth having the warning so other drivers may be aware the blind spots are different on the van they may be passing say in a road island or junction.

IMO well worth having (y)

All very true .. well apart from the GB bit .. I only have the EU flag on all my plates ( I think.. actually no. The one on the 1962 Grieves aint got it on ! )

Yes, I agree with all the above.. My reply was meant as a light hearted response and nowt more.
Personally I have never really worries about having a sign on the back of the LHD vehicles I have had, but of course, equally, there is nowt wrong with having a sign.. Anything that might help some of the thick myopic idiots that creep behind a wheel now a days has could be a plus (y)

If I have a LHD and a sign is fitted, it would stay.. if I have a LHD and there is no sign, it will stay that way

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I don't see what change in behaviour a driver following a vehicle displaying a "Caution Left Hand Drive" sign would be expected to do? The only time LHD might matter here in the UK is overtaking can be a bit trickier if there is no passenger to act as a "spotter" but again, what is the vehicle following supposed to do differently?
You obviously haven't driven a left hooker here in the UK, otherwise you would be a bit more understanding and tolerant of the differences experienced at junctions, etc, especially when travelling solo.
To turn left at a junction with LHD, the approach has to be straight ahead, so that the driver can observe traffic approaching from his right. Meanwhile, although indicating left, matey comes up the inside, thinking that because of your approach, you are turning right, or going straight ahead in the case of a cross roads. :(

If they are needed at all they should be on the front bumper to act as a warning to traffic coming the other way that they might pull out to peer around a vehicle to see if the road is clear to overtake - but this wouldn't be exactly practical given the distance and speeds involved.
No, as it is the following driver who might need to understand why it is taking you longer to carry out an overtaking manoeuvre, rather than the approaching driver. :cautious:

God forbid, I hope you don't adopt the same attitude to Hazchem and ADR signage. :eek:

Regards,

Jock.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have fitted a LHD sign in the last few months as, like Jock, I got fed up with 'bright sparks' edging up the left hand side when I was at T-junctions indicating my intention to turn left.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back