caught speeding (1 Viewer)

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
BTW you are meant to tell your insurance whether or not you take either option ! I did the course last year, enjoyed it too !! It was the guy who was running the course who said that you had to tell your insurers.
Whatever you decide enjoy your holidays 5 months away sound very good to me.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Well not wishing to be controversial here BUT! I had an SP30 some six or seven years ago and when I informed my insurers at renewal time their comment was, "Oh an SP30 there are so many people who have them we don't take any notice of them these days."

So in my opinion it wont affect your insurance premiums.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I don't know about Spain but in the UK the use of radar jammers could potentially land you in jail for up to seven years. http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/jamlaw.htm
You will always be " not guilty" unless you are stupid enough to agree that you are "interfering withe the course of justice". That is nonsense. You are merely using a legal device to thwart scum hiding in bushes.
As for " perverting the course of justice" you aren't doing that either as you have to be doing something illegal to start with & you aren't.
They prosecuted originally under the wireless & telegraph act as " broadcasting /emitting signals without required licence" or something like that. Unfortunately yet again they do not know what they are doing as it was thrown out due to the fact that the devices do NOT broad cast anything. They only operate on receipt of a radar or laser signal . When they receive one all they do is reflect it back like a mirror . A distorted one.
Mine operates this way & the signal generated throws up spurious amounts. 20, 340,87, 34,54 etc; I haven't used mine since leaving the UK.
Another point I noticed in your link was the uplift & removal of said jammer in one case. Point is Porsche used to offer them as a factory fitted inbuilt system. I only know this as a friend & neighbout tried mine & liked it so ordered his new Porsche carrera 2 with the inbuilt system. Not possible to remove.
Until they make it a specific offence then they are wasting there time.
Here in Spain use of them is a specific offence in itself as is running with no plates.

Well not wishing to be controversial here BUT! I had an SP30 some six or seven years ago and when I informed my insurers at renewal time their comment was, "Oh an SP30 there are so many people who have them we don't take any notice of them these days."

Many co's don't even ask here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Totally agree(y)

If I could not attend the course I would pay up, take the points and get on with life

There is a view that getting caught speeding (which most of us do) makes you slow down and more aware of your speed.........and a safer driver (?)

:)

:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's a no-brainer.. take the coarse.. come home early if it cannot be done later

As said by several, you do NOT want points

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It sounds like you don't dispute the fact that you were speeding, so take the course. I am pretty sure you will be offered various times/locations. As others have said, do not go to court, the magistrates take a dim view and will throw the book at you with a much larger fine.
You clearly weren't much over, since the course was offered, so I'd be gutted to get point on my licence for a small indiscretion.

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
image.jpg

OP
OP
rikfos

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks guys for all the helpful info. I was doing 52 in a 40 mph limit, have managed to book a course
on the day before I leave the UK. It certainly concentrates the mind to keep the speed down.
Cost of course ÂŁ90

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks guys for all the helpful info. I was doing 52 in a 40 mph limit, have managed to book a course
on the day before I leave the UK. It certainly concentrates the mind to keep the speed down.
Cost of course ÂŁ90

Do you need to tell your insurers about the need to do the course?

Probably not but I would check your policy terms just in case.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Do you need to tell your insurers about the need to do the course?

Probably not but I would check your policy terms just in case.

No, Chris.
No prosecution, points or caution is involved.
These awareness courses can be taken voluntarily.
If info was required, it would probably ask for it on the proposal form.
Mine never mentioned it.

rapido convert

Free Member
Feb 26, 2015
knutsford cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class rapido 996m
Exp
since 07
Insurance renewal will be higher on any policies you have when you declare a conviction for any points offence.

;and remember that it will stay with you for 5 years[/QUOTE]
Hi all, for me its a no brainer, enjoy your travels communicate via email, try and get it postponed, if they will not play ball fly home for the course then fly back,
Mrs convert flys home every 4/5 weeks to see the grankids when we winter away, she has never spent more than £50·00 a ticket in all the years we have divided our time here and abroad.
It must cost at least £200·00 per point given in insurance hikes over 5 years..
Cheers
Andy.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Cost of course ÂŁ90

That's why we need speed watch. If the detected speed was 58 then the speedo reading was probably over 60. :madder: You got off VERY lightly.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My understanding is that if you do the course you have not commited an offence and only tell insurers if they ask. Apparently only admiral ask this question and the advice is to go elsewhere . No one asks this question on renewal they only ask if you have had any convictions which is NO

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
My understanding is that if you do the course you have not commited an offence and only tell insurers if they ask. Apparently only admiral ask this question and the advice is to go elsewhere . No one asks this question on renewal they only ask if you have had any convictions which is NO

Odd!! You do the course BECAUSE you commuted the offence!!

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I'd do the driver awareness course,you are given dates to choose from there is also an option to change those dates,the courses are run by drive tech . They are very good and help to keep your licence points free.
I drive 60,000 miles a year and it's tough trying to keep within the speed limit at all times,it's easy to miss a change in the limit ,on average I see 4 mobile speed traps a month.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Only if asked as it is not a question on the renewal notice

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
According to Go Compare.com you are required to disclose that you have been on a speed awareness coarse.. just because the question isn't asked or is on the proposal application form doesn't mean it is not required to be disclosed

.. see exclusion clauses on most policies about material facts that are not disclosed. .. same as people who full time without disclosing..

Do I have to inform my insurers?
While the successful completion of a speed awareness course does mean you've side-stepped a physical driving conviction, your insurance company still need to be made aware of this development as you broke the Road Traffic Act.

Insurers will not be informed by the police or local authority of your speed awareness course completion, so the onus is on you to inform them in good faith.

At the very latest this needs to be done when renewing your policy.

http://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/speed-awareness-courses/

Last edited:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
At your insurance renewal is it OK not to mention it at all?
During the course the subject of insurance comes up and there are only 2 insurance companies that ask the question ,it's up to the individual to decide to insure with those companies or not ,the rest of them don't even ask

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I was asked if I had been caught speeding and that included speed awareness course. I admitted that I had the insurance company were happy and it did affect my premium.

Their logic appears to be that yes you were caught speeding but not prosecuted as has been said it's down to the wording of the question.

If you lie you may find it may cost you a lot more.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
see my previous post about Non discloser of material facts
Indeed, better to give your insurer more information than they need, then you can't be accused of non disclosure in the case of a claim!

ASel

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Gretna
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Insurance renewal will be higher on any policies you have when you declare a conviction for any points offence.

;and remember that it will stay with you for 5 years[/QUOTE]

Just renewed my car insurance after collecting 3 points, no increase in premium!

For first offence most insurance companies do not load premiums.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
As laird said instructors tell you it is not necessary to tell anyone of the course unless asked
Proposals and renewals only ask for claims or convictions

They state there is no way any insurance can know you have done a course unless you tell them

Last edited:
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
It was 52.
I'd be worried about you operating the speed gun.:D

Stand corrected! Had just woken up, still in bed, eyes not open yet!! As you say, good thing I don't operate detector in same situation. Having said all that, speedo would probably still be showing 54 - 55 and in a 40 limit. No excuses..:fubar:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I was asked if I had been caught speeding and that included speed awareness course. I admitted that I had the insurance company were happy and it did affect my premium.

Their logic appears to be that yes you were caught speeding but not prosecuted as has been said it's down to the wording of the question.

If you lie you may find it may cost you a lot more.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I presently have a clean licence(y)

Went through an "unlucky" period in 2003/2004 when I collected lots of points for jumping a red light and 2x speeding.

I should say I didn't even see the traffic lights . They were on a roundabout in Croydon. Just my luck that plod was right behind me

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Very difficult for them to prove.....so why ask?

The great majority of drivers have broken "the road traffic"act at some time or another.........and the great majority fail to disclose the fact every time they renew their insurance.

According to Go Compare.com you are required to disclose that you have been on a speed awareness coarse.. just because the question isn't asked or is on the proposal application form doesn't mean it is not required to be disclosed

.. see exclusion clauses on most policies about material facts that are not disclosed. .. same as people who full time without disclosing..

Do I have to inform my insurers?
While the successful completion of a speed awareness course does mean you've side-stepped a physical driving conviction, your insurance company still need to be made aware of this development as you broke the Road Traffic Act.

Insurers will not be informed by the police or local authority of your speed awareness course completion, so the onus is on you to inform them in good faith.

At the very latest this needs to be done when renewing your policy.

http://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/speed-awareness-courses/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back