Cattle trailer converted to motorhome! (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think you will find its a caravan, but looks tidy all the same. If its anything like the 3 axle trailer I pulled it might shake the inside to bits.

Martin

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I think you will find its a caravan, but looks tidy all the same. If its anything like the 3 axle trailer I pulled it might shake the inside to bits.

Martin

I think you are right : I hadn’t seen the final photograph of it being towed. Silly me for believing the Daily Mail’s description of it as a campervan! I did wonder how the loose furniture would stand up to a journey but they may have found a solution. I still admire their efforts though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
It was featured on George Clarkes Amazing Spaces on channel 4 Thursday Evening if you want to see more of it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No doubt George was swooning over it yet again ... reminds me of some who spend silly amounts of money converting something which isn't then really usable for what it is intended to be ... George ought to do some 'research' on the subject himself first so he knows what usable vehicles/caravans etc are like!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
£15K
No toilet facilities no shower you wouldn't want to go wild camping :D:D
Must have more money than sense.

That was my comment when we watched on tv!!!

I still prefer George C to Kevin M .....

Also hated the Japanese house, migraine inducing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What I get annoyed about with George and the programmes he does is that a lot of the stuff shown is stupid/expensive ... I've been watching the one where he gets an architect in to help people solve their own home issues, they have a budget and it is NEVER EVER anywhere near it when the designs come back ... what's the point?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
What I get annoyed about with George and the programmes he does is that a lot of the stuff shown is stupid/expensive ... I've been watching the one where he gets an architect in to help people solve their own home issues, they have a budget and it is NEVER EVER anywhere near it when the designs come back ... what's the point?

Expectation and dreaming rather than face reality?

When we bought the land this house was built on I interviewed a couple of local architects and I wasn't impressed. Their designs were more about their own wish lists and fantasies rather than what we needed and asked for - and they didn't take the unique site into account and work with it. In the end we rough sketched our own plans and an architectural technician drew up proper technical plans. Next door was an architect designed house, is smaller than ours and cost nearly half as much again as ours did - isn't built to the same standard and it isn't practical.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
£15K
No toilet facilities no shower you wouldn't want to go wild camping :D:D
Must have more money than sense.
Plus the 4k to buy it.
Wonder whether he has a C1 to tow it?
No way that's under 750kgs. 2 axle Ifor williams 146 weighs in at 695kgs empty & that is bigger.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Expectation and dreaming rather than face reality?
Not sure, they don't appear to have much input into the actual design done by the architect, it tends to be them saying what they basically need without any real frivolities and leave it at that, it's then the 'posh' architects that go off at a tangent and do a design which take a lot more work to produce than is really needed to get what the home owners want, often a lot of the design is purely for show with no practical purpose at all.

If I was on the show and was presented with some of the stuff that's come back from the architect I'd tell them to go away and design what I need first to keep it within budget and only then can they add titivation bits afterwards!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Its not Baaaarilliant or Mootastic:moon2:

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
The choice of materials was extremely perverse. No regard at all seemed to be been given to the finished weight. I wonder if it was even road legal?

Given that they had no "facilities" on board you have to wonder where they could use it? Not many of the sites I know would be willing to accept that style of unit on their site. The clubs in particular can be quite sniffy about unit size and style!

Looks like a white elephant to me. o_O

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Ooh, that’s harsh but hopefully you are just joking. I wish the couple many happy times in it.[/QUOTE
A better use of a trailer he pulls this from Belgium to portugal with his tractor.

Attachments

• 20160130_121503.jpg
    20160130_121503.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 27
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. It's a talking point/novelty, but after that, meh.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Totally pointless in my view. £15k for something totally impractical - the log burner looks like it would be far too hot for such a small trailer.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have been in a horse van where the human living quarters were up at the front....... man o man did that smell bad....... :sick:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You can get a lot of caravan for £15k and even a good Motorhome for that ..... rich mans folly or more money then sense.:doh:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The one I was watching ealier was a cattle Truck converted to a Motorhome, it was a youngster, I hope they looked at the weight it was a fair bit over the 3500 more like 5000kgs empty so would need a C licence to drive, there are loads on Youtube where people convert all manner of things without even considering the weight of the things, one girl converted a big van using palet wood for the lining and tiled floors and walls????????? She was living in it and looked about 25 years old. I made a public comment as to the weight and she came back saying it was fine because it was plated at 5000kg and because she made it a motorcaravan the weight law didn't apply to it?????????
The same seems to appy to several RV owners who are driving around 12000 kgs vans on an ordinary licence or maybe a C1E with grandfather rights and never even considered that the laws changed years ago and they were HGVs now.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
If I was on the show and was presented with some of the stuff that's come back from the architect I'd tell them to go away and design what I need first to keep it within budget and only then can they add titivation bits afterwards!

Which is what I did when interviewing architects before building this house!

However without the stuff presented by the architects, the plans that are too expensive and the compromises made there wouldn't be a tv show! It's not a documentary, it's a drama.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The one I was watching ealier was a cattle Truck converted to a Motorhome, it was a youngster, I hope they looked at the weight it was a fair bit over the 3500 more like 5000kgs empty so would need a C licence to drive, there are loads on Youtube where people convert all manner of things without even considering the weight of the things, one girl converted a big van using palet wood for the lining and tiled floors and walls????????? She was living in it and looked about 25 years old. I made a public comment as to the weight and she came back saying it was fine because it was plated at 5000kg and because she made it a motorcaravan the weight law didn't apply to it?????????
The same seems to appy to several RV owners who are driving around 12000 kgs vans on an ordinary licence or maybe a C1E with grandfather rights and never even considered that the laws changed years ago and they were HGVs now.

When I was looking for my RV went to a dealer to look at a possible
was querying if it had been downplated and he assured me that
not to worry about that as HGV licence wasnt a factor , which wasn't what I was asking for as I have class 1 , he even said he didnt have heavy licence ! He was the senior salesman !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back